Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

4.2 vs. 4.3 "Overall" Design - Which do you Prefer?

• I prefer the 4.2!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer the 4.3!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, if this has been polled already please just delete it.

We love our 2005 4.2 and though I haven't seen a 4.3 in real life yet the pictures and additional size turn me off ... or put another way, the look of the 4.2 is just goregous, we love it ... it's *EXACTLY* the right size for *US*, maybe a tad small, but it's so darn cute. :) Seriously, we're glad we got an '05 ... are you a 4.2 owner lusting for a 4.3 or are you happy also? Are you a happy 4.3 owner? Or do you have a 4.3 and wish somehow (!) you got a 4.2?

Inquiring minds want to know...

-kj-

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairness isn't the issue, really, you do have a point though ... the 4.1 people will be unhappy they aren't included, I guess I could add them ... and there are a lot more of them out there than 4.2s!

Not looking for anything official, just a bit of curiosity on my part. :)

-kj-

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently own a 4.2 (2001) and before that I owned a 4.1 (1996) and I'm currently negotiating for a 4.3 (2006) model. I like both (4.1 & 4.2) but do like my 2001 the best. Just the perfect look & style. I need the 4.3 for more room and power. Two big pluses. My 2001 only has the 2.0 engine. Plus I need an additional new car. Saying that, I will probably get the 2006 but keep my 2001 because I like it so much. My vote is for the 4.2 but give me a few years and the 4.3 might grow on me. Maybe! :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made my point pretty clear on the 4.3 forums. I don't like the 4.3 design at all. In fact if I was in the market for a new one, I don't think it would be in the running, even with all the success I've had with my 4.2 and my camry.
I think I do like it more than the 4.1.
I really don't think it has anything to do with being biased either, because if I really liked something better I would be honest. For example I think the Suzuki GV looks pretty damn hot.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup.....The new Suzuki GV is a beauty, only if the ride is more comfortable (I know it's supposed to be a SUV for off-road, but....), I'll take the plunge.

The poll is even more lopsided than I thought. I prefer the design of 4.2 but I am still considering the short-wheel-based version of 4.3, at least the 4.3 SWB is still a "compact" SUV.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
This pole will be definitely different if held in a couple of years in an open forum after the new generation of Raver's come along.
The 4.3 owners will differ in their design tastes but not there like for Quality, Safety, etc........

The 4.3 Design has disappointed me but I don't really care because I won't be buying another car for at least 8 to 10 years :D
I am truly happy with the 4.2 and I believe its excellent design will hold up in time.

So even though I won't be looking much in the 4.3 Forums but I still consider them fellow Ravers. :wink:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Saturday at the L.A. Auto Show I looked at both the RAV4.3 and the new Suzuki Grand Vittara.

The Suzuki looks fine from the outside, but the interior looks cheap and cheesy. They did have one interesting package, presumably just for show, featuring some interesting ski carriers atop the roof rack and a chair built into the trunk with a footrest that hangs over the rear bumper where you could put on your ski gear.

The RAV4.3 definitely looks bigger and chunkier than ever, but with a little fixing up it doesn't look bad. I took a few pics, including one of the V6 version in red with mods that include an aero kit shown at the Tokyo Motor Show, 20" alloy wheels, custom hood scoop, LED fog lamps, custom chrome grille, and "paint and prep by Focus on Cars". I might have to email the pics to Kelly or Moza to post them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here are the LA Auto Show pics Liz was talking about. I must say the body kit on the 4.3 makes the car look good, otherwise i find the 4.3 very boring looking compared to the 4.2 and 4.1 :oops:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just to clarify,...

The top red one is the RAV4.3 V6 with mods (custom hood scoop, aero kit, 20" wheels). 8)

The next one is the rear of a red V4 RAV4.3 featuring a marketing sign about 40% more cargo space. :wink:

The bottom one (in blue) is the rear of a customized Suzuki Grand Vittara :roll: with ski seat in the trunk and ski carriers atop the roof rack.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. This poll is by no means scientific or even remotely meaningful, more just a matter of curiosity on my part.

Vehicle redesign must be an extremely difficult job. You have input from so many and pressure to keep costs in line. It's just unfortunate when a design team takes a popular vehicle and alters it so much that it alienates some fans.

Sales numbers are the bottom line though and if the 4.3's numbers improve then the redesign was a success, regardless of what WE think of it. :)

It's just that the same thing happened to me with my Pontiac Grand Prix. I have a '99, which was a new body style in '97, and carried through to '03. In '04, they redesigned it, and totally (in my view and the eyes of many other enthusiasts) totally killed it. I love my '99 and don't ever want to sell it, and I love my '05 Rav4 the same way. There is just something about it that is unique that was lost with the 4.3.

There are many compelling reasons to like the 4.3, not taking anything away from it at all. Just wondering how many here think the 4.2 is a better overall design.

Thanks, kj

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had to vote 4.2

I'd rather have the 4.3, but Toyota blew it in the leg room department so I can't even sit in the new one!

So 4.2 for me.............. :(

·
Registered
471 Posts
flyingn said:
isn't this an unfair vote?? How many 4.2 vs 4.3 owners do we have here??

Frank
not only that but also this vote should be in off-topic section not in 4.2 i think

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
I think to settle this dispute. You should ask a neutral group. The guys who've been here since RAV4world.com opened some four or five years ago, when it was black with yellow letters. We also helped our brothers down under, RAV4oz.com. We have done the waiting game, done the mods, and really kept together finding, scrounging, adapting, and some times even arguing [in a friendly way]. We kept, Kelley's, and our dreams and hope alive. These are the guys from RAV4.1

We desired more power. So we set out and made our own power, the hard way. Experimenting, some of us adapted the name of guinea pigs Remember guys, "who is or who will be, the guinea pig for this mod."

Everything that the new RAV4 has, we were discussing it a long time ago. V6, Turbos, Superchargers, Hot Stereo systems, goobs of power and torque. We have something RAV4.3 doesn't have [or at least some of us do] 5 speed. If the new RAV4.3 would come with a 5 or even a 6 speed. When you drive home with it for the first time. Everyone would say "Their is a new sheriff in town, his name is RAV4.3."

But just imagine for an instant, a RAV4.1, with a V6 5 speed, twin turbo. That would be my choice. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts