Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back to visit my family this past week. My mother purchased a 2005 RAV4 in January because the 2006 was "too big" for her taste. She is use to driving a Ford Focus. Anyway, I got to drive the 4.2 around quite a bit while I was there and wanted to give my opinion on it vs my 2006. Well, there was no comparison, Toyota has really improved on this vehicle in many ways. Yes it is much bigger, but even though it has the same basic engine there was no comparison in excelleration. My 2006 I4 is much quicker and smoother at the same time. The ride is 10x better in the 4.3. The seats are more comfortable, not just because of increased leg room, they just feel more comfortable to sit in. She does have the BASE where I have a Limited so I can't compare apples to apples. The 4.2 felt like a little truck where the 4.3 feels like a car. The 4.2 does have the "cute" appeal, but that is really its only saving grace when lined up against the 4.3. Toyota did a good job on the improvements. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We all wax eloquently about the virtues of our vehicles and curse vehemently about their faults. Reality is somewhere in between I suppose. There are some who would question the “10x better ride than” subjective assessment. I for one know it’s just a means of conveying one’s impression. There’s no doubt that evolution has taken place from 4.2 to 4.3 and that extra wheelbase can only help the ride. Still, the ride is only 8.237 times better :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm - they say these motors "learn" the driving style of the owner. So, I'm not sure driving someone elses vehicle is a sure way to assess your perceived improvement in acceleration over theirs.

After pulling a 5,000 trailer for a week of vacation and being easy on my Tundra, it took another a week for the engine processer to realize I was back into scalded cat mode.

The same is true when I start driving our 4.2 RAV - as I am not the primary driver. The throttle response seems sluggish at first. In time it starts to figure out that I want quicker starts than it has been use to delivering.

Regardless, if it's time for a new vehicle for somebody, by all means, get an '06!!!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
the 'learning' is not that drastic of a difference. There is no way that a vehicle will be faster (or slower) due to its driver..

RAV4HER said:
Hmm - they say these motors "learn" the driving style of the owner. So, I'm not sure driving someone elses vehicle is a sure way to assess your perceived improvement in acceleration over theirs.

After pulling a 5,000 trailer for a week of vacation and being easy on my Tundra, it took another a week for the engine processer to realize I was back into scalded cat mode.

The same is true when I start driving our 4.2 RAV - as I am not the primary driver. The throttle response seems sluggish at first. In time it starts to figure out that I want quicker starts than it has been use to delivering.

Regardless, if it's time for a new vehicle for somebody, by all means, get an '06!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RAV4HER I forgot about that learning thing. My Mom, does drive like, well, a Mom! There was probably some difference there. The 4.2 was still much quicker than anything my Mom has ever owned. The perceived jump in quickest could also be from the much more refined ride. My Moms 4.2 felt stiff, where my 2006 really rides and steers smooth. There probably isn't that much difference on a stop watch. The 4.2 Torque seemed to kick in about 500 RPMs later than on the 2006. :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I think the 06 RAV's sales numbers pretty much tells the story how the 05 compares to the 06 RAV.
As far as the learning thing, I though it was the transmission that adapts to the driving style. It just adjust the shift points, I am sure its not adjusted that much where one can actually feel the difference.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, there is a lot of subjective emotion that make you "feel" something. But, shift points do matter too so I don't know.
There are also a lot of variables including air temp and so on. But, I am sure the perspective is correct and you really are quicker. We are forgetting and I almost forgot that the 4.2 permanent AWD creates some added resistance, which certainly will make it slower.

Thus, I have been meaning to ask the 4.3 (4cyl) 4x4 owners how much engine braking they feel as they have a “primarily” front wheel drive system. Now, when I let off the gas in our 4.2 at highway speeds, I can feel the resistance from the drive train slowing me down faster than any vehicle I’ve ever driven (except a 4X4 truck in the snow). This is evidence of the draw on engine power and so it is also slower to accelerate. And, is the reason the 4.2’s fuel economy is a little worse too.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There is not much engine braking when you let go of the gas on the 4.3. There is no drive train drag on the 4.3 since it is in 2wd mode when coasting.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My parents are under the impression that there 4.2 wasn't full time AWD, that it kicked in when needed. That is not the case huh? :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I do not feel much engine braking at all at highway speeds letting off.. It like any other fwd vehicle cause the 4wd is not ingaged anyway..

RAV4HER said:
Well, there is a lot of subjective emotion that make you "feel" something. But, shift points do matter too so I don't know.
There are also a lot of variables including air temp and so on. But, I am sure the perspective is correct and you really are quicker. We are forgetting and I almost forgot that the 4.2 permanent AWD creates some added resistance, which certainly will make it slower.

Thus, I have been meaning to ask the 4.3 (4cyl) 4x4 owners how much engine braking they feel as they have a “primarily” front wheel drive system. Now, when I let off the gas in our 4.2 at highway speeds, I can feel the resistance from the drive train slowing me down faster than any vehicle I’ve ever driven (except a 4X4 truck in the snow). This is evidence of the draw on engine power and so it is also slower to accelerate. And, is the reason the 4.2’s fuel economy is a little worse too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The G Man said:
There is not much engine braking when you let go of the gas on the 4.3. There is no drive train drag on the 4.3 since it is in 2wd mode when coasting.
Mine has quite a bit of engine braking.

There's one level ramp (off I-205 East into Corrall Hollow) where I can lift about 60 to 80 yards before while doing 75mph and by the endo of the ramp my 4.3 does about 35mph, just right for a large radius turn into the street when green (it's not a 90 degree turn). My wife has a Mitsu Galant with auto, which does nothing of the sort and would end doing 50 at the same place if I felt suicidal (I always brake in it there). So the engine braking is definitely there and is bigger than happens with other autos.

Also, the engine braking on 4.3 can be annoying because of downhill speed control. When descending from Alatamont pass on I-580, there's a range of speeds around 70...75mph where the poor thing cannot decide it it wants to brake or coast, so it would periodially surge and slow with the same throttle position. The only solution is to go into left lanes and do 80 to 85, depending on the wind, and let the air resistance to do the job keeping the car computers in coast mode.

I dunno, maybe the G guy has 4x2 which is drastically different.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Well of course the 4.3 is better than the 4.2 in most aspects. Toyota has seen all the faults on the 4.2 and has tried and successfully improvised on the 4.3. There isn't really a need to make comparisons, IMO, cuz that's just people's taste. There will always be something better in the future :p.

Yeah, i wish my car had more power, but oh well. I still love my baby, stiff ride or not :D :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Well of course the 4.3 is better than the 4.2 in most aspects. Toyota has seen all the faults on the 4.2 and has tried and successfully improvised on the 4.3. There isn't really a need to make comparisons, IMO, cuz that's just people's taste. There will always be something better in the future :p.

Yeah, i wish my car had more power, but oh well. I still love my baby, stiff ride or not :D :thumbs_up:
good points... i agree

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
zaitcev said:
There's one level ramp (off I-205 East into Corrall Hollow) where I can lift about 60 to 80 yards before while doing 75mph and by the endo of the ramp my 4.3 does about 35mph, just right for a large radius turn into the street when green (it's not a 90 degree turn). My wife has a Mitsu Galant with auto, which does nothing of the sort and would end doing 50 at the same place if I felt suicidal (I always brake in it there). So the engine braking is definitely there and is bigger than happens with other autos.

Also, the engine braking on 4.3 can be annoying because of downhill speed control. When descending from Alatamont pass on I-580, there's a range of speeds around 70...75mph where the poor thing cannot decide it it wants to brake or coast, so it would periodially surge and slow with the same throttle position. The only solution is to go into left lanes and do 80 to 85, depending on the wind, and let the air resistance to do the job keeping the car computers in coast mode.

I dunno, maybe the G guy has 4x2 which is drastically different.
You cant really compare the Galant to a RAV4, the Galant is a sadan, of course it will coast better than a SUV.
I am wondering what do you mean when you say downhill speed control, the RAV4 does not brake going down hill unless you have the cruise control on.
BTW, I have a 4X4 and when I said that the RAV doesn't have much engine braking or drivetrain darg, I was comparing it other 4X4 SUVs with mechanical 4WD. If you compare the RAV4 to my old camry, the Camry can coast alot further than the RAV.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The G Man said:
You cant really compare the Galant to a RAV4, the Galant is a sadan, of course it will coast better than a SUV.
You are right of course. I should kick it into newtral to see if it's just natural friction or engine braking. Unfortunately we only have one level ramp like that, all the rest are downslope, and the previous exit is something like 10 miles away, so making a few loops is not feasible.

Since we're on topic, you guys know of course that engine braking's strength is proportional to RPMs... So the braking RAV4 does when lifting up is nothing like the real engine braking. I had a chance to test it by visiting San Francisco and driving in 2 and L down the streets this week, in the area beyond 30th Ave. and Anza/Geary. It slows down pretty well, but still, coming down the 46th Av., I can make the engine redline in L. So the engine braking is not all that powerful at my 4.3.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts