Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As insurance figures out whether to total my RAV and whether I will drive it as salvage or fix it myself or just continue driving with a banged up front .... I don't know (initial details below)

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/249313-pickup-backs-into-my-rav-ughhh.html

MY SECOND CHOICE is the 2nd generation RAV4. I had three of them in early 2000s. Even brought the first 2001 on the road at the end of 2000. I had gone with first gen now (2 years ago) because it looked unique out of sea of small SUVs. At that time I didn't care about the locker and didn't have in any one of the 3 I had.

So since the second gen does come in a stick shift, I can potentially get back in that BUT does it come with the central diff locker? I have one in mine and it has helped me numerous times being in a pickle. I have 230k miles on it and I bought it a couple years ago as a beater with about 150k.. driven a lot.. around the continent.. all up to the Arctic... Just wonder if any of you have taken your gen 2s to the limits with off road tires and whether I can get one with a diff locker.

When I had my gen2s... I didn't have the time to do much exploring because of the arrival of my off springs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm going off-road/adventure about every week-end in summer with my 4.2 and I love it (my wife and 3 kids also!). Even if it's not a ''real'' 4X4, it's very capable and surprising. It was a good upgrade to install the Celica Alltrac torsen in the rear diff. Even if the torsen is not the best LSD for off-road, it's still better than an open diff. What the RAV4 lacks most in my case, is a low range.

The viscous center diff do the job very well in most situation. And for winter drift I love it. It allows me to handbrake while driving without any issue. When the front wheels start to understeer in a curve, I just pull the handbrake quickly, and when the rear starts to slide, I keep drifting with the gas pedal.... lot of fun!!! :)

Now like you know, the downside of the viscous center diff, it does not lock the front and rear wheels together hard enough. When I go in ''deep'' sticky mud or swamp, the wheels (front or rear) that are really stuck wont receive power (slipping viscous)... only the easier ones. And if I put the front wheels in air on my garage lift, and the rear tires on the ground: the vehicle will move just a little bit... then stop because the viscous is not transfering enough power. I try this with every 4.2 I'm working on at job... and they all do the same. :(

So I recently bought a RAV4.1 for very cheap. The manual tranny is a E250F with the electric locker. I will try to install it on my 4.2 to have the front and rear wheels really locked together (like yours). And I'm happy the E250F has 4.93 final ratio instead of 4.56 in my actual E352F.

I'm also thinking to do the 2AZ swap instead of my 1AZ while doing the trans job.

I started a thread about the tranny ''retro-fit'' to know if someone has already do that.... it seems I will be the first!

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/95-4-2-d-i-y-modifications/245017-rav4-1-tranny-t-case-4-2-a.html

Reactions: RAV4EVR
1 - 3 of 3 Posts