Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am quite new to this forum and i was wondering if it is possible (even if completely irrational) to swap a manual transmission into my 2007 4 cylinder Rav4. It seems possible if i order a transmission from Australia and get all the proper parts and pieces to make it all work, but has anyone ever done this? Or can it even be done?:confused: BTW this is a 4WD

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
anything is possible with money, but it would probably cost more than the car is worth...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Hello all!

I am quite new to this forum and i was wondering if it is possible (even if completely irrational) to swap a manual transmission into my 2007 4 cylinder Rav4. It seems possible if i order a transmission from Australia and get all the proper parts and pieces to make it all work, but has anyone ever done this? Or can it even be done?:confused: BTW this is a 4WD
I think the easy part would be ordering the transmission from Australia. It's the "proper parts and pieces" that would be the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
It's the "proper parts and pieces" that would be the problem.
Yep, and that would include the instrument cluster and likely the wiring harnesses. Otherwise you'd probably have a myriad of error lights & codes.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Don't forget that the RAV4 down under is right hand drive. That means that everything from the clutch pedal to the linkages will be on the wrong side. Might need to look for a manual trans from Europe. Think Austria instead of Australia.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Probably would need to change the engine flywheel to accommodate the clutch disk, and don't know whether the transmission housing is a bolt-up proposition to the engine bell housing area. Also as mentioned previously there is the matter of the clutch linkage if using an Australian trans., and also possibly the clutch pedal mounting. The trans shifter and linkage shouldn't be so much as a problem since the shifter lever is in the center, and the shifting pattern is the same (at least it was when I lived in the UK), regardless of left or right hand drive. Overall, it might be a somewhat pricey but possibly do-able conversion.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ummmm....wouldn't it be much easier to import one from Europe?

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Ummmm....wouldn't it be much easier to import one from Europe?
Is that legally possible?
Oh it's definitely legal. Years ago Bill Gates imported a Porche 959 but he couldn't drive it:

Bill Gates: America's Richest and his Porsche 959 | Autofluence

While most Porsches can import quite easily from Europe to the USA, the 959 had complications abound, making it impossible for US citizens to get their hands on one of these supercars. One of the citizens was Gates, who ordered a 959 from Porsche, only to have it impounded at customs. The reasoning provided to justify the impounding was that the 959 had not yet cleared crash-testing requirements and did not meet EPA standards. Gates’ German supercar sat idly by for over a decade.

As for the RAV4, I'll bet you could import a totaled vehicle with a salvage title to use as parts.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Is that legally possible?
It may or may not be legal, depending upon a number of factors. It's not always a simple process even if the vehicle generally conforms to U.S. requirements. One explanation of requirements: How to Import a Car from Europe (or Elsewhere) to the US - CarsDirect
People who wish to import often employ an experienced importing service.

And from experience, importing a car from the U.S. to Europe often isn't an easy process, either, as I know from personal experience. But not much of a problem importing my U.S. motorcycle into the U.K, nor reimporting it back into the U.S. - only some paperwork and inspections needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts