Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read from the Toyota websites that the 4.3 has Traction Control. Most of the soft roaders up to now have open front and rear diff (IIRC) except LSD on the rear diffs of Subaru's. Basically, the 4.3 Traction Control uses the ABS computer to apply braking to the wheel with no grip in the open diff transferring drive to the wheel with traction. This is probably not as good as LSD but it should improve the grip of the 4.3 greatly right?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes - it locks it in place up to 25MPH at which it turns off. And that is the only thing besides the button being pushed that will turn it off. Once on, you can go through any gear and brake to your hearts desire, and it remains on, as long as you are below 25MPH.

O

·
0 Posts
Years ago here in Britain, amateur hill climb racers used this idea to ensure that the wheels didn't lose traction on a slippery bend. They had two brake levers, one for right wheel and one for left and they called them "Fiddle brakes", worked very well. VW fit this system to their vans and call it the electronic differential

Ha! Old ideas, fancy names

A

·
0 Posts
the 2nd Gen has a viscous LSD in the rear wheels (direct torque right or left) and also a center viscous LSD to direct torque to the front/rear axles. that's better than traction control any day since instead of cutting all the power, you're redirecting it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Even so, you can still get wheelspin on a slippery surface by applying too much power. That's where traction control (standard on US RAVs since 2004) comes in.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
the power does not cut. Its get directed to the wheels with most traction. This system works as good if not better then a limited slip as its is more positive. The conputer can detect slippage way faster then a mechanical system. Do you understand HOW an open diff works? The wheel with the least amount of traction spins. Using a open rear with traction control.. it applies a brake to this wheel as it starts spinning ALL the power goes to the other wheel.

Adrenaline05Rav4L4WD said:
the 2nd Gen has a viscous LSD in the rear wheels (direct torque right or left) and also a center viscous LSD to direct torque to the front/rear axles. that's better than traction control any day since instead of cutting all the power, you're redirecting it.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
your so right. Im an old school guy (look at my website to see HOW old school I am) and I am very impressed with electronic traction control.. Very..

bmorton said:
Even so, you can still get wheelspin on a slippery surface by applying too much power. That's where traction control (standard on US RAVs since 2004) comes in.

A

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
the power does not cut. Its get directed to the wheels with most traction. This system works as good if not better then a limited slip as its is more positive. The conputer can detect slippage way faster then a mechanical system. Do you understand HOW an open diff works? The wheel with the least amount of traction spins. Using a open rear with traction control.. it applies a brake to this wheel as it starts spinning ALL the power goes to the other wheel.

with an open diff (on any car whether FWD, FWD, 4WD), you're sending unequal amounts of torque to the wheels. full throttle from a stop...a tire will slip or break loose. it's even worse on a turn since the inside tire completely spins. traction control doesn't help in those situations. LSD's do the real work.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
flyingn said:
your so right. Im an old school guy (look at my website to see HOW old school I am) and I am very impressed with electronic traction control.. Very..

bmorton said:
I agree, this is my third car with stability control. The 1st generation of stability control was not that good. The back spins out and it gets in the way sometimes when driving in the snow. The latest generation of stability control from Toyota is one of the best in my opinion, right up there with the Volvos and Mercedes.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
no one is arguing that.. Do you know how the Tpyota traction control works with the open diffs? They apply a brake force to the tire thats spinning and ALL the torque instantly goes to the other tire. Thats HOW an open rear works. Its ingenous how they figured that out.. How to make an open rear be a limited slip with electronics..

with an open diff (on any car whether FWD, FWD, 4WD), you're sending unequal amounts of torque to the wheels. full throttle from a stop...a tire will slip or break loose. it's even worse on a turn since the inside tire completely spins. traction control doesn't help in those situations. LSD's do the real work.[/quote]

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Adrenaline05Rav4L4WD said:
with an open diff (on any car whether FWD, FWD, 4WD), you're sending unequal amounts of torque to the wheels. full throttle from a stop...a tire will slip or break loose. it's even worse on a turn since the inside tire completely spins. traction control doesn't help in those situations. LSD's do the real work.
Actually, that's exactly the situation that traction control (don't confuse it with stability or yaw control) is intended to address: wheelspin. Depending on the circumstances and system, it can reduce power and/or work as an electronic differential lock to individually brake a spinning wheel. This sort of system has replaced the mechanical LSD -- in the RAV4 this happened for MY2004 when VSC & TRAC became standard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts