Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time (maybe a month, maybe two months ago?) this happened, I did not write down a time or date but dismissed it as a mental holiday due to the amount of alcohol and drugs consumed at a much earlier age.

Tonight, about 8:24, the Toyota App lit my iPhone up with an alert that a door was open. I had parked it in my garage and locked it about 6:10 PM local time.

I immediately suspected that the rear hatch had once again opened by itself, in the closed and dark garage, but I also KNEW I had left the car LOCKED.

I went out to the detached garage, opened the door, turned the lights on, and voila, the rear hatch was in full yawn, wide open, by itself it had done this, no key FOB anywhere near it, while it was LOCKED.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Toyota!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, sorry for the waste of electrons here!

That was pretty silly.

I consulted with the wife unit. She had her FOB in her purse. After ninety seconds of looking through all the various compartments she managed to find it.

More importantly, she keeps her purse in a corner of the bedroom that is the corner of the house, closest to the garage.

I went out to the garage where the locked car was sitting, standing in the dark, talking with her on the phone, having her hold her FOB about where her purse resides, and press the unlock button. Voila, car unlocks. Voila, hatch opens.

Me: Honey? Could you not keep the FOB in your purse?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This happened after some head scratching, 'there's got to be a reasonable explanation for this' . . . . . so now that I suspect I have eliminated the culprit, we'll see if this ever occurs again.

I keep my FOB in a front pocket of my jeans. The FOB shares that pocket with my folded greenbacks, no clip, no keys, no pens, nothing that could press the FOB buttons.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure you or someone else didn't hit a button on your phone or get a hold of your fob?
A fair and good question.

My phone sits on top of my Apple SuperDrive, on top of my iMac aluminum base, plugged into the iMac while I'm sitting at my desk. This was its state when it threw the alert.

I'm like, uh, wasabi . . . .

·
Registered
419 Posts
My FOB is stored in a Faraday box, in a drawer, in a bedroom, as far from the garage as possible nowadays. Ever since I read this thread here.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quickdtoo posted in another thread regarding FOB spoofing and GTA how to disable the FOB.
You can disable the fob (battery saving mode) by holding the lock button down and pressing the unlock button twice, the LED will blink 4 times and the fob will be disabled, then the signal can't be hijacked, we disable ours regularly. Press a button to enable.
All three of our FOB's are now in 'battery save mode' disabled.

I'm still gonna have the wife unit keep it outside of her purse.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, I disabled one of my FOB's that's stored just to keep the battery from draining, but the one I normally use I just figured it was easier to stash it in a Faraday box for when it's not in use. If I'm somewhere where I can't store it that way, then I turn off the radio on the FOB.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Okay, sorry for the waste of electrons here!

That was pretty silly.

I consulted with the wife unit. She had her FOB in her purse. After ninety seconds of looking through all the various compartments she managed to find it.

More importantly, she keeps her purse in a corner of the bedroom that is the corner of the house, closest to the garage.

I went out to the garage where the locked car was sitting, standing in the dark, talking with her on the phone, having her hold her FOB about where her purse resides, and press the unlock button. Voila, car unlocks. Voila, hatch opens.

Me: Honey? Could you not keep the FOB in your purse?
Damn. I was hoping for POLTERGIEST!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was doing work on my car in the garage one night about 1030pm, hood open and I must have leaned against my toolbox with the key in my pocket. The panic alarm starts going off, lights flashing and so loud, especially with the hood open. I guess luckily this was before the Hella Horns were installed. Freaked me out and actually took a while to disable the alarm.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Actually, my first thought was a rodent had passed by the bumper sensor to open the hatch but then I thought, well that would only occur if the FOB was close enough. Then I thought, no, the rodent would have to be standing on one foot hopping up and down since that's what seems to work to get the hatch sensor to see my foot at least.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I actually thought you were kidding
Nope. I pays to read this forum board for all sorts of information. Since keyless car thefts are becoming a big problem all because the signal from your FOB can be boosted from outside your house by homemade signal boosters, it pays to block the signal when you're storing the FOB if you keep the transmitter on, even in your house. Amazon of course has hundreds of Faraday boxes to choose from just to store your FOB. I figured it was cheap insurance if I forget to or don't bother to, turn off the transmitter.

As to the original post, I wonder if a cat or dog could set off the rear door sensor?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
. . . . . . As to the original post, I wonder if a cat or dog could set off the rear door sensor?
:)
I'm always giving my goofy (selectively intelligent) black lab a hard time about how I have opposable digits and he doesn't.

I suppose your wonder could be satisfied by someone strapping a FOB & GoPro to the back of a feline or puppy to see what happens. The garage was all closed up when this event transpired. The wife unit's purse, where her FOB was . . . . . well, you know.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Try out having your Black Lab crawl under the back of the car with the FOB still in the house and see if the tailgate opens. The transmitter in the FOB has a pretty good range I think.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try out having your Black Lab crawl under the back of the car with the FOB still in the house and see if the tailgate opens. The transmitter in the FOB has a pretty good range I think.
:p

I'm pretty sure that the "proximity" sensor for the FOB comes into play with the kick sensor for the rear power gate.

Yep, page 139 of my PDF manual would seem to confirm that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts