Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking for a while trying to get as much info as I can before I buy my new Rav.

Still having a hard time deciding between the 4 cyl. and the V6. What exactly are the advantages/disadvantages other than speed and acceleration (yes, I know, that's a biggie)? My main concern was gas mileage, but from the posts, it seems that the difference is only about 2 mpg?

I'm looking at a fully loaded everglade limited. I've been offered the 4cyl. for $25,975 or the V6 for $28,099 (both with the leather package).

I have a 2003 Rav now (2.0 L) and it's fine for the City, but has lousy acceleration. Is the new 4 cyl. engine that much better?

Any input that could help me make a decision?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Its almost like the same debate over at the 4runner's forum, the V6 vs V8. The difference in the 4runner is also about 1-2 mpg. I bought a I4 because I dont need the hp and the torque, my other car has 280 hp and 330 ft-lb of torque. The extra $2000 for the V6 was also a concern. With thats said, I certainly didnt buy a I4 becuase it has better mileage, 1-2 mpg is not that much difference. The bottom line is this, if you can afford the extra $2000 and you want more hp and torque, buy the V6.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2.4 liter 4-banger is a carryover from the previous generation RAV. And, the new generation vehicle is heavier. It will perform similar to yours. Thus, great around town and not quite what you want for passing at highway speeds. Though, other people here will say thay are OH SO HAPPY. But, you've had the 4 and you know you want the Six. It's just the price hurdle to think about.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MY SINCERE ADVISE TO YOU!!!!

....Do not go for the 4 cylinder RAV unless it boils down to a PURELY, and I mean PURELY, financial decision. The only reason to go for the 4 cylinder would be if you ABSOLUTELY cannot afford the V6 ....and there are absolutely no advantages to owning the 4-banger EXCEPT FOR THE PURCHASE PRICE, while there are a TON of disadvantages.....the V6, OTOH, is nothing but ADVANTAGES, ADVANTAGES and ADVANTAGES!!

And don't believe anyone on here if they tell you that you will get better gas mileage with the 4-banger. That is a BIG MYTH perpetuated by people who want to justify their 4-banger purchase!! In the REAL WORLD I will BET MY ENTIRE SAVINGS that there will be no appreciable difference, and in certain circumstances (such as aggressive driving, where there are a lot of uphill and downhill grades, high speed driving etc.) the V6 will, in all likelihood, end up giving BETTER gas mileage than the 4 cylinder!!

Here's the reasoning behind this: (and I've actually PROVEN this with a Las Vegas to LA trip and back comparing a 4cylinder VW PASSAT with my 8 cylinder LEXUS LS 400 - I'll give you the link below)

Even though the 4 Cylinder is rated SLIGHTLY better on paper by the EPA (whose testing standards are ridiculously out of step with real world driving conditions), one has to realize that this 4 cylinder engine is lugging around a heavy SUV (approx. 3500lbs+). Under VERY VERY VERY light throttle and very judicious driving (which is virtually impossible to do in most of our real world driving today) the 4 cylinder will probably do a tad bit better. However the moment you start driving "normally" the overwhelmed engine will start revving itself to death, constantly upshifting and downshifting, WASTING A TON OF FUEL IN THE PROCESS, while the V6 which has gobs and gobs and gobs of excessive power barely ever goes out of overdrive 5th gear, turning at very low RPMs and thereby merely sipping fuel. Of course, because of it's larger displacement and 2 additional cylinders it's going to "sip" a little more fuel than the 4-banger at the same IDENTICAL RPM....but in reality, the 4 banger is working itself to death, spinning at twice or even thrice the speed, and in practice, is going to end up GULPING DOWN fuel!!

What I have expressed above is confirmed in many cases if you "read between the lines" . Go on to the 4.2 forum right on here, and see how many threads you find with the second generation "Ravers" complaining about their gas mileage, while you will notice in this 3rd generation section, how many V6 owners claim to be "pleasantly surprised" with their fuel economy.....Like I've said above, it's all about "perception". The reality is very different. People buy the 4 banger thinking they'll get much better gas mileage and then they wonder why that's not happening :roll: ....people buy the V6 for "POWER and PERFORMANCE", and then wonder why their gas mileage ended up exceeding their expectations. Again reality check!!

To put it in a nutshell here are the disadvantages of the 4 cylinder as compared to the V6

It's not as smooth, quiet or refined as the V6

Nowhere near the power and performance of the V6

Gas mileage can actually end up being worse in certain circumtances*

Fully loaded up with passenger and cargo, the 4-banger is likely to REALLY struggle, especially on long highway trips that involve grades etc.

Lack of torque will seriously affect ability to tow (if that's important to you)

FYI, to give you an idea of how amazingly quick this V6 RAV is, CAR AND DRIVER timed it 0-60 in 6.3 secs. That is the EXACT same timing, as my 290-horse V8 powered 2000 Lexus LS 400!!!! :shock: ...and the RAV is an SUV to boot!!! (SUVs are inherently slower than cars)

* here is the link to my V8 versus 4-banger fuel economy test (scroll down to my post - vicpai - "I've never owned a turbocharged....."):

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39&page=2&pp=25

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agreed with the previous comments... 2k bucks are just the differences between 4 and 6... If I didn't care about the 2k, then I just buy the v6. Certainly, 4 has enough power to do with normal cars... except more towing capacity and the feel that you have a more powerful engine.....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot. Sounds like the V6 is the way to go. Now, if only I can the price down!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Victor.. Do you own a 06 rav4?
you don't even OWN a Rav4..

You seem so adamit about somethign that your not familir with.. I can afford the 6 and I CHOSE the 4. 30 mpg on the highway and 23-24 around town if what Im getting.. Don't be so *sure* you know why people buy the 4.. cause you have no clue bud.. we wanted the 4 . Sorry if you don't like that.. but its the truth.. The 4 in the 06 is not a carry over of the 03 engine. The 03 is a 2.0 engine.. Again your wrong if you *think* that an 06 and an 03 have same accceleration. Ours is downright quick. And I can say that because I own a race car. So Im qualified ti state that.. not talking off the cuff.

·
Registered
652 Posts
flyingn don't take it so personal. victor555 stated some good points whether he owns one or not.

Sure he generalized a little bit, but for most, if the extra money is not a concern a logical choice would be the v6 being the gas mileage is not disparate.

I believe it's one of the reasons the CRV's sales are plummeting and the RAV's are rocketing.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
flyingn said:
You seem so adamit about somethign that your not familir with...
I don't remember you saying... have you driven the V6 RAV4 yet :D

My opninon is YES... the V6 RATED mileage is close to the I4's... but due to FUN FACTOR... if I had the V6, I'd get quite a bit WORSE mpg than the I4.... due to my lead foot :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
its all about moderation Kelly. :):) easy on the throttle.. = great gas mileage :)

Kelly Smith said:
My opninon is YES... the V6 RATED mileage is close to the I4's... but due to FUN FACTOR... if I had the V6, I'd get quite a bit WORSE mpg than the I4.... due to my lead foot :roll: :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not much opportunity for lead foot in Southern CA, unless you drive at night. I drive mostly city, with the get out-of-town trip once a week. I test drove the 4 cyl. and it seemed to have a lot more kick than the asmathic 2.0 L. I have now.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I agree with you guys, the V6 is not a must have option unless you plan to tow with the RAV. I have a I4 and I had 5 people in the RAV once and it still had plenty of power. Passing power on the highway is fine and who ever said earlier that the V6 gets better gas mileage than the I4 due to the rpm was just plain old wrong. The I4 has enough accelaration for most people and it has just the right amount of power for a everyday commute car.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Go for what you need - if you're understandably concerned about squeezing out every bit of gas mileage and the price of gas (of which we ain't seen nothing yet!) ,get the 4, which carries a vehicle this size quite adequately. I was impressed when I first took one for test drive. Also consider the 4 if the extra cost is a major factor.

If you need to tow, do a of driving in extremely hilly terrain, or do alot of long trips, go for the 6 with the 5 speed tranny. Or, if you want a toy with loads of torque and refinement that has created a new niche in the compact SUV segment, go for the 6.

Either way, you can't lose, and should have a fun vehicle with good resale value down the road. :D

OC

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's not mislead people about the 4 cylinder. It is a carryover from the 2005 model. That's even the way the Consumer Reports write-up puts it. Now, the last 2 or 3 years of the 2nd gen RAV bumped up the displacement from 2.0 liters to 2.4 liters. That keeps them and the 3rd gen RAV competitive for a 4 cylinder. So don't dispair about having to make the 4-banger choice these days.

Consumer Reports gave their blessing to that increase and that's when I thought the RAV was worth considering. That and my test drive of course, since I could compare it to my test drive a few years earlier with the 2.0 liter. We will most likely have our 2nd gen RAV joined by a new V6 RAV in our driveway within a year or two.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought the V6 so that I would have the extra power for towing my camping trailer and for the fun factor. What I have noticed in actual daily use, which does not involve towing a trailer or driving in a "fun way", is how much smoother and quieter the V6 is compared to the I4 that I test dove. These reasons alone justify buying the V6 even if you don't tow or want the extra power.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I say go for what you need, want and can afford. I drove the 4 and was impressed. I ended up buying the 6, even though I don’t think I'll ever tow anything, and I can't see that I will have the need for the extra power. It is just something I wanted. We all have different reasons for the vehicle we purchase, and its configuration. I would have been satisfied with the 4, but the 6 is what I wanted, even though reason didn't play into it. I can't justify the added price of the 6 because I think the resale value will be higher because ,I hold on to a car until it doesn't have much value.

Get what you want. The only person you have to defend your position to is yourself and maybe your spouse.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's amazing how many people say that they were impressed with the 4-banger's performance. Truth be told, it's extremely buzzy when putting the pedal to the metal and acceleration is not at all impressive. When I took it on a test drive, I dreaded the Norelco like sound of it after awhile. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You should have driven a Plymouth 2.0 liter Breeze. It hums and doesn’t move with an eggbeater motor. The RAV4 I4, when I test drove it in a city environment seemed to move out. My experience with the Breeze (and a 4 cyl Plymouth Voyager) maybe the reason I got the 6.

I think this thread will go on for a long time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
IT'S GETTING HOT IN HERE!

kestrel55 said:
It's amazing how many people say that they were impressed with the 4-banger's performance. Truth be told, it's extremely buzzy when putting the pedal to the metal and acceleration is not at all impressive. When I took it on a test drive, I dreaded the Norelco like sound of it after awhile. Just my two cents.
That was my impression when I test drove the 2006.

4.2 General How many 4.2 owners are interested in buying 4.3 RAV?

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts