Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I posted this under another section but after everything was said and done, i found out the posts there were from last year and no one will probably see it before it's too late and I need some advice right now, double quick. Then I couldn't post any links (to the original listing and the carfax report) because my post count was...zero. Then I went to delete the post so I can post it here and not cross-post since this is frowned upon but it won't show up yet until it's approved by a mod... So I'm batting 1000 here!

Mods feel free to delete my old post or delete this one and move the old one in here, whichever is easier.

At any rate, long story short, the girlfriend needs a new ride (4WD) and I did some limited search before deciding on a 2011 Rav4 LTD 4x4 V6 and found one locally for $16.5K with 71K miles. We'll trade in her 02 Galant so looking to get it for $15K. Carfax looks good and toyotaowners.com (added via VIN) shows the vehicle was serviced at the dealer every 5K miles and no serious issues reported. The last two entries were for recalls which were remedied at the dealership:

G0F RECALL - INSTALL LEFT & RIGHT REAR SEAT CUSHION PANELS ~|~SAFETY RECALL G0F - REMEDY NOTICE 2006 - 2012 MODEL YEAR RAV4 2012 - 2014 MODEL YEAR RAV4 EV REAR OUTBOARD SEATBELTS. ~|~G0F

F0S-REPL CRANK&COWL ASSEMBLIES ~|~SAFETY RECALL F0S - REMEDY NOTICE 2009 - 2012 MODEL YEAR RAV4 2012 - 2014 MODEL YEAR RAV4 EV WIPER MOTOR LINK CORROSION. ~|~F0S ~|~71454 PERFORMED F0S RECALL.

My question is, what are the quirks or issues of concern for this year (or 3rd gen in general) vehicle? I own a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner so I know a bit about those but not the Rav4. I will be bringing an OBD2 scanner with me to look for codes, but any other help or advice is greatly appreciated. Does this vehicle have issues with frame rust as do 4Runners? Does it have things that need special attention? Etc etc...

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have carfax and dealer link to the vehicle, can PM or email them but unfortunately can't post them since my post count is low. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Approved this thread and deleted the other. Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Look for any leaks in the rear differential which may or may not have a whine noise. There is a breather tube that rust out causing the rear differential seals to go out. The V6 which has the 5 speed may exhibit a whine noise also. Hard to tell where the noise is coming from. The clue is you can tell in my car it happens only between 15 and 40 mph. Even if the transmission is making this noise it does not mean a failure just an annoying noise.

This model does not appear to have problems with rust even though I live in the rust belt area in Canada.

As with buying a used car check the fluids like oil, coolant, transmission, and brake to see if they were neglected. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
If the the rear alignment was done (and epoxy applied), then the rear cannot be realigned.
Ask them to check for alignment (and fix if needed) before purchase.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you DL175 and vanib for your replies... The rear diff leak reminds me of the 3rd gen 4Runner issue with rear axle seals busting because of the breather on top of pumpkin getting rusted so pressure can't escape... I thought Toyota would have remedied this since a 3rd gen 4Runners are 96-02 and we're talking about a 2011 vehicle... I'll definitely look for that and inquire about the rear alignment. More feedback is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If the car is for GF who drove a Galant prior, make sure she is okay with the ride quality of the RAV. Some feel it is too stiff and bouncy. And the Galants I drove were some of the smoothest and quietest sedans out there. Take the RAV with her on a long test drive over your normal road surfaces and take notice of cabin noise, etc.

Yeah, and check for any driveline noises. The whining tranny afflicted some. And there is a Toyota enhanced warranty for the rear diff coupler which is covered on all gen 4.3 RAVs good for 9 years from first date in service, which can make a growly noise. Since it's covered by the warranty, would not be a big issue.

Those recalls you listed are the newest ones, so if already done that's great. It seems the 2011 V6 had the fewest overall warranty recalls and issues. Very reliable and fun with power. I've got the I4 and would trade for the V6, but I'm not the primary driver--who loves the Red RAV 4-banger. As primary mechanic, so do I--easy to work on for routine DIY maintenance.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the car is for GF who drove a Galant prior, make sure she is okay with the ride quality of the RAV. Some feel it is too stiff and bouncy. And the Galants I drove were some of the smoothest and quietest sedans out there. Take the RAV with her on a long test drive over your normal road surfaces and take notice of cabin noise, etc.
I think she got the Galant with 60K miles on the odometer and it just turned over 100K, all with original suspension so I think she's used to it being a bit more stiff and bouncy, which will work in my favor... hehe

As for the driveline noise and whining tranny, I'll definitely listen for that. Do you have more info regarding the growl with rear differential, like what's causing it and what the dealer does to remedy it? These are all the questions I'll be asking the dealership before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For the 'rear diff coupler' issue You need to be logged in to view the TSB section. Go here and click on the PDF in the first post from our trusty Administrator:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/154561-t-sb-0080-13-rear-differential-coupling-growl-noise-06-14-2013-a.html

There is discussion here--well worth the read:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/212361-differential-coupling-warranty-enhancement.html

FWIW, I don't think this is a really common problem. But nice to have in your back pocket if it crops up. It's something a Toyota dealer can check for free if you have any driveline noise in that area. From the little bit I know about it, they could put the car on a lift and listen with mechanic stethoscope to isolate. No problem with mine, but keeps me listening, lol.

Reactions: DK327

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ride quality is something many people don't pay enough attention to on a test drive. Some people find the seats uncomfortable, in particular for long drives.

Have her drive it on a long test drive to make sure the seats are comfortable for her (and you as passenger). The LTD has a power seat with lumbar support for the driver, so that should help.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestion DVS, I will definitely have her drive it around town as well as take it on the interstate to see how it does with the overdrive engaged, cruising.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Once she pops the throttle on that 3.5l she'll be hooked!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Once she pops the throttle on that 3.5L she'll be hooked!!!
Like one friend of mine said when he borrowed our RAV4 for a parts run, and after I'd warned him it was fast, "Wow! Even at 60 it's still got a lot left! :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update, I'm happy to report we're now a proud owner of this Rav4! Thanks to everyone that chimed in and helped make this decision!!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Looks great, and since you've researched its background with good results it should give her years of happy and strong-engined use.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great purchase... my wife went from an 04 Vibe to the 08 Rav4 and she loves it, best decision ever for her.

We got it mostly for camping and towing a boat, which I just purchased two weeks ago... so far so good, yes the whine can be annoying sometimes, but we don't hear it with the music up. :)

And yes, that 3.5L 2GRFE motor is a beast... step on it at your own risk. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts