Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. 40 years have passed since my father in law bought my wife a new Corolla in 1977 as a college graduation gift. We've come full circle and bought a new 2017 Rav4 xle awd. First new car since a 1994 Caprice LT1, still have it, with 249,000 on it. The rav will be my wife's daily driver and she loves it except for fuel economy, 9 fillups, 24.8 mpg.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Welcome! Interesting info about your Caprice - has it been reliable? Hope that your wife enjoys her new RAV4 despite not being pleased with the fuel economy figure.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You must have checked out the RAV hybrids and decided against them. You'd be getting around 34 mpg if fuel cost is a big concern. But there are a number of ways to look at it. You seem to be a super long-term owner, so who knows, maybe the standard engine will be cheaper if you keep it 20 years and don't have the expense of replacing or refurbing the main battery of the hybrid, and the cost of fuel doesn't significantly rise.

I'm in line to make a purchase to upgrade my RAV and the hybrid is on my short list. I've tracked the mileage on my 09 which has essentially the same 2.5L engine as the new models. I've gotten 24.2 mpg over the 31K-miles tracked, in 50-50 city vs highway driving. (I have a simpler 4-spd tranny, the newer 6-spds usually get a couple of mpg better.) I'll keep crunching numbers, but sometimes it's just the safety and fun factor of new technology that seals the deal. Bottom line: Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! Interesting info about your Caprice - has it been reliable? Hope that your wife enjoys her new RAV4 despite not being pleased with the fuel economy figure.
The Caprice has been one of the best cars I've ever owned. Is not a police package but has all the suspension, brakes, coolers, limited slip and the LT1 of the police package. And gets around 20 mpg plus or minus, depending on the situation. The only big problem was the transmission failed at 120,000. A design flaw in the early 4l60e's took out reverse due to a valve problem. Other than an oxygen sensor under warranty I don't think I did anything other than oil changes and plugs until over 100,000 miles. Front brakes went over 100,000, rears nearly 200,000.

We've had a couple of 3 series BMW's and a 240? Volvo years back. My wife likes the smaller cars better. I'm hoping the fuel economy comes up some as the vehicle breaks in. As long as fuel stays down, it's not that big of an issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must have checked out the RAV hybrids and decided against them. You'd be getting around 34 mpg if fuel cost is a big concern. But there are a number of ways to look at it. You seem to be a super long-term owner, so who knows, maybe the standard engine will be cheaper if you keep it 20 years and don't have the expense of replacing or refurbing the main battery of the hybrid, and the cost of fuel doesn't significantly rise.

I'm in line to make a purchase to upgrade my RAV and the hybrid is on my short list. I've tracked the mileage on my 09 which has essentially the same 2.5L engine as the new models. I've gotten 24.2 mpg over the 31K-miles tracked, in 50-50 city vs highway driving. (I have a simpler 4-spd tranny, the newer 6-spds usually get a couple of mpg better.) I'll keep crunching numbers, but sometimes it's just the safety and fun factor of new technology that seals the deal. Bottom line: Enjoy your ride!
I feel stupid regarding the hybrid issue. The RAV is my wife's daily driver and since it is 75% highway the salesman said the hybrid would not do any better than the gas on the interstate. Turns out after looking on the forums that he's not right. Also, as we were looking I was doing the math in my head on pricing and thought the hybrid to be out of reach. However, I wanted AWD in case the weather turns bad while my wife is at work and I didn't realize the problem with my math was the hybrid is AWD by default.

It's true that we have kept our cars for an extremely long time, but that's been because I do nearly all of the maintenance myself. Unfortunately, I'm getting older and I've got a form of muscular dystrophy that's really slowing me down so we've made the decision of try to keep a car in warranty from here on out. My current plan is to keep the RAV until my wife retires in 4 years and then trade again and possibly get another RAV or a Highlander. Maybe by then the hybrid drives will have matured even more and perhaps have a plug in RAV.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Your experience with your Caprice echoes mine with Chevy vehicles I've owned. I didn't consider a Chev before I got my RAV because there have been criticisms of Chev dealers in this area. I may change my mind if the EPA mandates E15 and the promised Chevrolet Equinox diesel gets good reviews.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your experience with your Caprice echoes mine with Chevy vehicles I've owned. I didn't consider a Chev before I got my RAV because there have been criticisms of Chev dealers in this area. I may change my mind if the EPA mandates E15 and the promised Chevrolet Equinox diesel gets good reviews.
I've done well with GM cars and light trucks. But, I'm cautious what I buy. I think Toyota should market their diesel in the U.S. But I guess there is still a stigma and I don't know about the emission status of Toyota light diesels in the U.S. The reviews on the current Equinox scared me somewhat. It seems people either have no trouble or they have engine or transmission failures before even 75,000 miles. But I think a diesel Equinox would be a great alternative to a hybrid for a lot of people. I am not afraid of technology, what I am afraid of is poor engineering that companies refuse to acknowledge or stand behind.

Even as careful as I try to be I have a 2004 F150 5.4 that I bought with 80,000 miles. Super clean truck, inside and out. Unfortunately, when I got it people were only starting to realize just what a time bomb the VVT system is on these. I've put another 80,000 miles on it and I'm about convinced I'm going to have to go into the engine. Looks like to do it right it will be about $1300.00 for the parts, and I'm not sure I'm physically up to the labor on it. So that may be another $800.00.

I really had to think long and hard about Toyota, not that I don't think they're great cars, but I'm 35 miles from the nearest dealer. That dealer didn't even come close on price to the dealer I purchased from that is 82 miles away. But, they seem to have a good reputation. In fact, my wife didn't like the headlights at all because we live in hilly country in the Ozarks with a lot of dark two lanes. Our dealer said no problem and they replaced the headlight bulbs with Putco LED's and the foglights assemblies with Auer LED's. No charge. I was surprised after how I've been treated in some competing dealers in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks, I think it will be a great ride! I replied to your comments but for some reason it went to moderation and hasn't appeared yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel stupid regarding the hybrid issue. The RAV is my wife's daily driver and since it is 75% highway the salesman said the hybrid would not do any better than the gas on the interstate. Turns out after looking on the forums that he's not right. Also, as we were looking I was doing the math in my head on pricing and thought the hybrid to be out of reach. However, I wanted AWD in case the weather turns bad while my wife is at work and I didn't realize the problem with my math was the hybrid is AWD by default.

That is odd for them to say. I get much better mileage with highway driving because I set the cruise and leave it. Driving in the city is a lot of stop and go. I have a heavy foot and just traded in my 2012 camry hybrd. I was getting 32mpg with it. The way I figured in a regular 6cyl car, I was getting 16-18mpg so basically I drove my hybrid for 10 years with just 5 years of gas. I have had my 2020 Rav4 for 3 weeks now and at first was getting 30mpg but now I am up to 33mpg because I have had a couple days of highway driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts