Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning I would like to say HELLO to all users of this forum. I count on understanding because English is not my native language. I live in Poland.

Two days ago I found this forum and for me it is a mine of knowledge. I hope that I will find here a lot of technical advice in my project.

And now a brief history.
Until now, I had the Mitsubishi Shogun mk2, Suzuki GV mk2, so the car on the frame and recommended more for off road. But this time I decided to RAV4 and I am impressed by the possibilities on forest roads. BTW I'm a hunter. I found in good condition Rav4 1995 accident-free, full service history, undamaged interior and so on. Slight corrosion on wheel arches. At the very beginning I did everything what necessary: replacement of engine oil, gearbox oil, differential oil, timing belt and rollers, brakes so-called starter kit. Then I replaced almost all internal and external bulbs on LED (including parking lights, reversing lights, direction indicators, stop). Currently I am working on removing rust from the chassis. Suspension, fuel tank, exhaust system, the shaft is removed. The entire underside cleaned to bare metal, the new thresholds, some places welded. Then the chassis will be painted with a primer reactive. The next step is conservation. I will use protective coating - 2K polyurethane resin-based textured protective coat. Extreme mechanical strength, scratch and solvent resistance. Protects against adverse weather conditions, petrol, oil, water and salt. Sound-proofing and sound-dampening properties.
In a word, it will be a good base for further modification.

And here we get to crux of the matter. As I mentioned I am hunter and I use RAV4 in the forest and light off road. Therefore, I care about the ground clearance. I ordered 40mm front and rear spacers, dedicated to the RAV4.1 model. During the technical research diagnostician said that the dampers and springs are in good condition and well suppress vibration. I have a 16" rims and factory size tires R16 215/70.

What size tires (AT) you recommend in this case?

I do not want to overdo with the size to avoid abrasions on rough roads. Although I have a second family car but wife sometimes uses Rav4. Our children love our old Toyota and sometimes prefer rideRav4 than the new VW. So I care about a good and safe driving and performance in the field.

What effects can I expect using spacers?

In Poland there is little information about the modifications of Rav4.1. Probably it will be one of very few such projects. At the beginning it is a few modifications later there is no end. My intention is to obtain an inconspicuous car from the outside, on the other hand will surprise their possibilities. In my plans is to increase engine power, torque, replacing intake system, additional LED lighting also reverse, roof rack, soundproofing mats, maybe winch. I also think about replacing the rear brakes to disc.
I will inform you about the progress.

BR Andrew N

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello Andrew. Your English is much better than my Polish (which would be NONE.)

I don't have an answer for your lift question, although I have seen some threads here on this site regarding lifts. You do a google search, something like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lift+kit+site:http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

pulls up some interesting threads. For power, in my opinion, the only real option is a 3SGTE or a 3SGE BEAMS motor. Note that the BEAMS motor came in JDM RAV4's and does about 200 HP. The hard part of these swaps is always the electrical work.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Sounds like a lot of the things I've completed or that I'm in the process of completing.

There are several threads here concerning tires and tire sizes that you can search for. I tried to go too big because I wanted a certain brand and type of tire. Here is some info on tires and tire sizes. It may vary a little depending on brand. This link discusses tires - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/193218-off-road-tires-stock-1998-rav4.html

Tire Size.......Diameter
235-60-16....27.1".............original equipment
215-70-16....27.9".............original equipment
235-65-16....28.0".............a step up
225-70-16....28.4".............given your lift this is probably the largest size you should risk
215-75-16....28.7".............maybe, but taking a chance
235-70-16....29.0".............risky - this is what I'm probably going to go to in the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
255-65-16....29.1".............very risky
225-75-16....29.3".............very very risky
245-70-16....29.5".............too risky for me
235-75-16....29.9".............too big without serious modifications, this is what I currently have

Spacers put stress on your bearings/hubs and changes the suspension geometry but then a lift often does the same thing

This is a link for tirerack.com for the tire I'm going with - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T+G015&sidewall=Outlined White Letters&partnum=37TR6G015OWL&tab=Sizes

I have the old man emu lift kit and a 1" lift spacer on the front. See my thread concerning my mods - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/206377-1999-4dr-4x4-major-mods.html

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
After reviewing what I wrote and taking measurements I will go to the 215-75-16 - 28.7" because I don't want to take an expensive chance, I know these will fit without a problem.

With my current tires, I have plenty of clearance everywhere except on the front tires on the lower inside area, where it scrubs harshly.

One other thing if you look at the front tire well there is a mysterious "bump" at the rear lower area, remove that if you put an oversize tire on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dr. Hess
I do not have specific requirements for the enormous power of the engine. I think about getting a little better performance based on the stock engine: intake air, head. My cousin is an expert in tuning engines, especially in changing the map, that is chip tuning. I do not want too much to burden the engine. Everything within reason.

eodgator
I think that the above-mentioned tire sizes and diameter apply to standard suspension height without lift kit. In my opinion the longer springs in the same way change the geometry of the suspension, driveshaft angles …. I read an opinion that 40mm lift is safe for other components like hubs and so on. But I do not have experience, so I'm waiting for reviews.

I am not sure that if I add spacers I need to make additional modifications?

Of course, with the spacers and new larger tires I will be set the suspension geometry, angles of wheel camber …

Please take a look here at the trail master suspension system

The last three spring coils are together, so do not work. That means the same stroke of the spring as with the spacers.

So how is it really?
Of course, gas shock absorbers have different performance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Of course the dimensions of the tires are the same regardless of vehicle mod with minor variances by manufacturers and tire types. The list I gave you is some tried and true experiments from folks who have put larger tires on their RAV4.1s stock and lifted. It also matters if you have a manual or automatic transmission because the automatic tranny sticks out into the wheel well further so keep that in mind. The chart I made up gives you the diameter of a given size in the size ranges from original equipment up to a way oversized tire that will not work without firewall modification.
A 40MM lift will give you some vertical clearance but the problem is clearance front and back on the front tires. Go to tall or too wide and you will scrub when turning the wheel or even when bouncing down a trail. The biggest I have heard anyone successfully putting on a RAV4.1 with the OEM lift is 235-70-16....29.0" tires with rim spacers or with a properly offset rim any larger and you have to muck around with the firewall and consider that it may also scrub at the front upper area on the plastic wheel well cover.

For clarification I'm reposting some of the tire sizes with better explanations:
Tire Size.....Diameter
235-60-16....27.1".............original equipment, optional
215-70-16....27.9".............original equipment
235-65-16....28.0".............a step up, no problems for stock RAV4s
225-70-16....28.4".............this is the largest that a stock RAV4 can handle with minor scrubbing on full lockup and removing the "bump". On automatic RAV4's it will scrub the transmission unless spacers are used.
215-75-16....28.7..............Must have a lift kit
235-70-16....29.0".............Must have a lift kit
255-65-16....29.1".............Must have a lift kit
225-75-16....29.3".............Must have a lift kit, this is the largest size tire that I've seen posted that was installed on a RAV4, however there was no follow up concerning any scrub issues
245-70-16....29.5".............Must have a lift kit, spacers, and it will probably require modification of the firewall
235-75-16....29.9".............Too big even with a lift without serious firewall modifications, this is what I currently have, others claim to have installed this size of tire but no information as to any problems that had to be resolved.
Any larger sizes will require more than a lift and spacers to work without scrubbing.

Note: The area on the other side of the firewall if you heavily modified the firewall will not interfere with pedal travel on left hand drive RAV4's on right hand drives I'm pretty sure it would affect at least the throttle pedal and probably the brake pedal.

Another link for a stock RAV4 - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/67743-tires-revisited-225-70-16-fit.html

This guy put 225-75-16....29.3" on his RAV4.1 but I don't know if he had any issues and I don't know hat kind of lift he had, no followup - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/74048-need-new-tires-soon-ones.html

Unfortunately, most people talk about tire sizes and never follow it up to let us know what if any issues they had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts