Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2014 RAV 4 Limited that just turned over to 44 k miles. What service is recommended at this point ? Everything is working well, and we'll be taking it on a 3,000 mile trip in a few months.

I'm capable of changing brake pads at least I used to on my American-made cars. Does the tranny need new oil and filter, and how about the serpentine belt ?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Too early for all this.
If you have AWD, at the most I would change the rear differential oil and transfer case oil.

Since you do not have a dipstick for the transmission, it is something best left to the dealer. But I would not touch the ATF until 70K miles at least.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We have a 2014 RAV 4 Limited that just turned over to 44 k miles. What service is recommended at this point ?
What services have you done so far? Your car came with a maintenance guide, have you been following it for the normal routine stuff. Besides oil and air/cabin filter changes, most of it is inspection. So have you changed oil, checked tire tread depth, rotated tires? If tires are rotated, it's fairly easy to check brake pads to see where you stand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too early for all this.
If you have AWD, at the most I would change the rear differential oil and transfer case oil.

Since you do not have a dipstick for the transmission, it is something best left to the dealer. But I would not touch the ATF until 70K miles at least.
OK thank you vanib.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What services have you done so far? Your car came with a maintenance guide, have you been following it for the normal routine stuff. Besides oil and air/cabin filter changes, most of it is inspection. So have you changed oil, checked tire tread depth, rotated tires? If tires are rotated, it's fairly easy to check brake pads to see where you stand.
Thank you RAVN4RED, we've followed the dealer recommended service such as lube, oil and filter changes, tire rotations, etc. It's my wife's car but I will ask her for the owners manual and maintenance guide so I can check the recommendations.

BTW.... yes it is AWD .

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thank you RAVN4RED, we've followed the dealer recommended service such as lube, oil and filter changes, tire rotations, etc. It's my wife's car but I will ask her for the owners manual and maintenance guide so I can check the recommendations.

BTW.... yes it is AWD .
Well, you're good to go--3 miles or 3,000 miles! Go with confidence. If it was dealer serviced, they usually provide a checklist of things they inspected with notes on brake pads and tire treads, you might take a look for grins and get an idea where you stand.

I'd agree with Vanib to change the rear diff and transfer case fluids, though the USA standard says only if towing or severe driving conditions like a lot of short trips. Get a quote first so they don't charge an arm and a leg. It's a really easy service while on a lift, only uses about a quart of fluid in each component.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, you're good to go--3 miles or 3,000 miles! Go with confidence. If it was dealer serviced, they usually provide a checklist of things they inspected with notes on brake pads and tire treads, you might take a look for grins and get an idea where you stand.

I'd agree with Vanib to change the rear diff and transfer case fluids, though the USA standard says only if towing or severe driving conditions like a lot of short trips. Get a quote first so they don't charge an arm and a leg. It's a really easy service while on a lift, only uses about a quart of fluid in each component.
Thank you, and yes we take it to a Toyota dealer for service. After consulting the service guide, it's surprising what little maintenance is suggested for this vehicle.

Cheers !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts