Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin, I just want to let you know I have a 4cyl Rav4. I chose the 4cyl because I was able to bargain a bigger discount with it ($1,130 below invoice) and I felt it had enough power and got a little better gas mileage (still on first tank, driven 150 miles, and it is still 3/4 full, is that good?).

I was reading debates of the 2.4L 4cyl vs 3.5L 6cyl and some people were saying there is very little difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl in terms of acceleration. I find that hard to believe since the v6 has 100hp/100ftlbs on the I4. It seems like some 4cyl owners are in denial or trying to be defensive.

I have a 450hp V8 Mustang but I must admit, my Rav4 feels peppy than most 4cyl cars I've driven. But no way can it accelerate almost the same as the v6 Rav4.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. There is a big difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder, just as there is between the 6 and your Mustang. I have driven 4 cylinder cars that you practically needed to push up a hill (Mazda GLC-perhaps the GLC stood for gutless little car?) and a Camry with lots of get up and go that is a 4 cylinder.

I opted for the V6 with the 4x4 because I intend to use it in the snow in the winter months and I wanted more pep. No matter which you choose though Toyota makes a Really Awesome Vehicle and so does Honda. Although I think the new CRaVe really stands for C RAV Excitement :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
huge difference.

i've got a mazda3 2.3 it's peppy enough with the 156 hp/150 ft/lbs of torque but it doesnt compare to the Rav4 V6. especially going up those steep inclines. i know the Rav4 I4 is about 10 hp and 10 ft/lbs more than the Mazda3 but its also several hundred lbs heavier.

if i was gonna buy another 4 banger it would be in a light compact not a heavy porker like the Rav4.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a huge difference between the two engines.
Our friends have the Rav4 with the 4 cyl it is an OK engine coupled with the Rav.
The V6 has a tremendous advantage..Near 125 HP worth. It has and will pin you back in the seat type of acceleration. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Reminds me of my SS396 I had in High shool... :egad: :egad: :egad:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hans Moleman said:
Before I begin, I just want to let you know I have a 4cyl Rav4. I chose the 4cyl because I was able to bargain a bigger discount with it ($1,130 below invoice) and I felt it had enough power and got a little better gas mileage (still on first tank, driven 150 miles, and it is still 3/4 full, is that good?).

I was reading debates of the 2.4L 4cyl vs 3.5L 6cyl and some people were saying there is very little difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl in terms of acceleration. I find that hard to believe since the v6 has 100hp/100ftlbs on the I4. It seems like some 4cyl owners are in denial or trying to be defensive.

I have a 450hp V8 Mustang but I must admit, my Rav4 feels peppy than most 4cyl cars I've driven. But no way can it accelerate almost the same as the v6 Rav4.
It's not the V6 initial acceleration that's tremendous, but being able to effortlessly cruise at 80-85 and still quickly accelerate to pass someone.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If power is really a concern you should think about the limited edition RAV available in the NW that comes only with the 8 cyl and shaves a second off the 6's: 0 - 60 time. While it gives only 80 more horsepower it comes with a stiffer suspension and will tow double what the 6 cyl does. The place you take a hit is in the gas mileage and some comfort because of the stiffer ride. And depending on where you live, it may be tough to ship.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
What we will be talking about when gas is $5 a gallon.

Is two horse power better than one horse power.. :shrug:

/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=3731

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
LOL :lol: and the only emissions standards they need be concerned about are from methane gas - with the exhaust pointed directly at the driver! :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts