Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my 4th gear is popping out every now & again, funny thing 5th gear is good, knock on wood, it does have some movement when releasing gas.
3rd gear feels a little crunchy to shift into.
What are my options?
I'm thinking of maybe doing a fluid change first? Or is it to far gone?
With royal purple Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax High Performance Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid - 1 qt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DKTG0G/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_GIg1wbVWF49PQ

·
Registered
170 Posts
You need to have someone replace 4th5th syncronizer. Transmission has to come out. Probably a good idea to replace clutch, pressure plate, etc. at the same time. Have 4th5th gears also checked. Teeth could also be shot from synchronizer shot. Not gonna be cheap !

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to have someone replace 4th5th syncronizer. Transmission has to come out. Probably a good idea to replace clutch, pressure plate, etc. at the same time. Have 4th5th gears also checked. Teeth could also be shot from synchronizer shot. Not gonna be cheap !
At that point, wouldn't it be prudent to just rebuild the whole thing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
You should have the whole thing checked over at that time. That goes without saying. 4th5th gear gets used the most so that could be all that is needed. You asked specifically about 4th5th problem, so that is what I addressed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts