Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you thought about resetting the ECU and let the vehicle relearn your driving habits/shift points? I imagine now with the new TC, the shift points it knew worked with the failing TC, not the new one.

That's part of the repair already, along with the pan magnets. I'm also getting a bit of a whine from the driver side now when I really hit the gas like up a freeway ramp. I'm going to get an OBD tool and some fluid so I can change it a couple more times. Maybe use a better fluid for the crisper shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bar Set at 155,000 mi - Who can beat it?

Brendan14 posted highest mileage with a 2014 LE at 155,000+ miles setting the bar for the Gen4s.

Who can beat it?

·
Premium Member
7,807 Posts
Thanks for input. Do you have any examples of Toyota CVT's lasting 200k miles?
All you have to do is google Prius longevity, it uses the same THS drive, just different ratios, this has been discussed in the HV forum. The Rav4 HV doesn't have an actual CVT, it's described as an eCVT and is actually a power split device(PSD) and has nothing in common with conventional CVTs that you'll read about having problems.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/218729-cvt-reliability.html

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/293163-2016-rav4-hybrid-100-000-mile-review.html

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/737-rav4-hybrid/1637384-rav4-cvt-experience.html

https://www.hybridcars.com/toyota-prius-taxi-running-strong-with-600000-miles-and-original-battery/

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for input. Do you have any examples of Toyota CVT's lasting 200k miles?
I sold my Lexus RX400H hybrid, (Highlander clone), to my lady friend when it had just over 200,000 miles on the clock. Three years later, she's still driving it. I'll have to ask her what the odometer shows now.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's an assumption which is not supported by facts. Better control of RPM and loads might decrease wear, not increase it.

Your comment about CVTs also has no relevance.

Rdgrimes, there are several hundred thousand owners of Ford (and Mercury, Lincoln, and Jaguar) 5-speed automatic RWD transmissions who can provide a $3500 repair estimate as a fact. I’m in this number. While true that it was a combination of increased actuation due to more shifting AND ill-advised penny-pinching by not adding a steel sleeve to a bore in an aluminum case, the fact remains that wear and fatigue can happen with every mechanical movement. For the record, that transmission only had three pistons servicing 5 forward gears - first, 2/5, and 3/4. The 2-5 piston moved the most and would typically wear first.

Given the longevity we’ve witnessed and the durability testing of engineering mules during development, it’s safe to assume that Toyota ensures a reasonably reliable product without the early planned obsolescence (or simply a possible disregard for consequences) we see with other manufacturers of various products.

As a side question, don’t you think your response was a touch harsh? I do hope it wasn’t intentional, but I don’t know if you have a history with the other member. Let’s keep it positive

·
Registered
428 Posts
Lexus vehicles had 8-speed transmissions for a while now without any concerns, and T wouldn't be putting them into Lexus if they were not expected to last...

My ES has a 6-speed AT and I am at over 200K now. No concerns with it. Tons of Camrys were produced with 6-speed AT as well...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lexus vehicles had 8-speed transmissions for a while now without any concerns, and T wouldn't be putting them into Lexus if they were not expected to last...

My ES has a 6-speed AT and I am at over 200K now. No concerns with it. Tons of Camrys were produced with 6-speed AT as well...

My point exactly about Toyota running durability testing. They actually DO make sure things last for a long time. My point about wear occurring with movement of parts is valid, but anecdotal experience indicates Toyota actually considers this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't have the highest mileage by any means, but I have 22,000 miles on my 2018 after 9 months of owning it. Got it with 2 miles on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
You have the highest mileage in the thread so far. (Brendan14 ) 177,000
What year, model?
Have you serviced the transmission - fluid changes? - Or do you believe it lasts for life like Toyota wants us to?

·
Registered
24 Posts
2016 LE AWD- 86,000 trouble free miles, just fluids, filters, brakes, tires.

We are putting about 25,000 miles a year on it.

Put 300k miles on a 2006 RAV4 and sold it to get this one. And those were 300k HARD wearing miles. Living at altitude (8,000'), dirt washed board roads, snow, blasting up huge mountain passes with the pedal smashed to the floor the entire way up every single day. 30k miles a year of this.

Hopefully we make it to 300k with this rav4, if not more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m up to 183k mi now. Still no major issue. Haven’t even changed the accessory belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts