Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought it when it was at 100k the reservoir was almost empty.. filled it up and it was obviously leaking and the tensioner pulley had a loud rattle. Had the dealership replace them. All seems fine now. I guess they don't make them like they used to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just hit 185k mi. Only 10k in the last year according to this thread. I must be slacking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your point about decreasing load is valid and I hope that proves to be the case with the 8 speeds. However, transmission components wear upon shifting not staying in gear. More shifts generally equals more wear on shifting parts. Clutch discs only wear when engaging, like a manual transmission. If there are more shifts on a clutch there is more wear. Electrical solenoids can only click so much before failure. The more clicks, shorter lifespan - as with all moving components.

CVT is another topic but I have never heard of CVTs reliably going 200k miles and many, many fail <100k - see anything Nissan.
My 2011 Lexus CT200h is CVT. I have 220k on it. My 2014 Camry Hybrid has 140k on it. Both cars are CVT and have had no issues whatsoever. Going to be picking up a '17 Rav4 hybrid shortly. I believe CVT's by Toyota are bulletproof.

·
Premium Member
7,807 Posts
My 2011 Lexus CT200h is CVT. I have 220k on it. My 2014 Camry Hybrid has 140k on it. Both cars are CVT and have had no issues whatsoever. Going to be picking up a '17 Rav4 hybrid shortly. I believe CVT's by Toyota are bulletproof.
That's because Toyota's eCVT isn't a CVT at all, it's a planetary gear power split device that has nothing in common with belt/pulley CVTs that aren't bullet proof.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts