Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - hoping you can help me become a member of the Rav4 fan club...

Am thinking about buying a 2nd hand Rav4. Test drove one last night (1995, 3dr, 2.0GX, 120,000 miles, I think), and have a few questions that are worrying me:

1. The car would only shift happily from 4th to 5th gear around 55 - 60mph. Is this normal for the Rav? Seems high to me. If I put it into 5th before that, the engine would strain loudly and rattle.
2. The engine noise was quite loud (which I knew to expect) but there were some persistent knocking sounds which I didn't expect - nothing overbearing, but they were there.

Should I be concerned about these? Did I just test drive a dud? Should I look for another model?

I've heard about how reliable these cars are, so think I'm making a good choice, but want to make sure I don't pick up a dud.

After all, the car was ten years old, but it was quite cheap too in my opinion...

Any help very gratefully received.

CJ

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd say you found a RAV that someone else decided not to take care of very well. Like chucks said RUN from this RAV. This one is not a good buy.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - think I'll be giving that one a miss...

Any other pitfalls to look out for? Everyone seems to just go on about how damn good they are (which I'm sure they are!) but it doesn't help much when you're looking to pick up a cheap second hander!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I always like to check the plugs on used cars that I purchase. And since the RAV's plugs are right there on top it is very easy to do. If the seller of the vehicle is opposed to my checking out the plugs....I walk. (you'll have to remember to bring some tools along with you.)

Another one is when you get ready to fire up the vehicle when going for a test drive, have another person start the vehicle(cold start only) and walk around to the back of the vehicle to see if there is any smoke on start-up.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and if there is? I guess it's another walk away moment, yes?

thanks for your advice.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crunchy gear change

Hello I have a noticeable notchiness When changing from 5th to 4th gear almost as if the clutch needs adjusting but it doesnt has anyone got any ideas on this.

Cheers Richard

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Notchiness is quite often caused by the type of fluid in the box --- either old that needs changing or synthetic (that doesn't) but gives the gears a fell almost like you haven't pressed the pedal down enough - but supposed advantages of better mpg, performance and protection

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ag0w said:
Notchiness is quite often caused by the type of fluid in the box --- either old that needs changing or synthetic (that doesn't) but gives the gears a fell almost like you haven't pressed the pedal down enough - but supposed advantages of better mpg, performance and protection

Thank you for your reply I will bear that in mind.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts