Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the switch for in the 2006? Does it lock the front to rear?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now if I get this straight the button will lock it in 4wd. So both axels should spin at the same time. If I read my manual correcty for my 2005, either the front or rear has power but not both at the same time. Am I getting this right?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
GigaHz said:
What is the switch for in the 2006? Does it lock the front to rear?
From what I've read the 2006's button locks the transmission into a 55:45 full-time four-wheel drive split, vice the default front-wheel drive with electronic "on-demand" arrangement.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are able to lock it for "full time" 4wd while the vehicle is going < 25mph. When you exceed that, the part-time 4wd electronic system takes over

·
Registered
179 Posts
In the video review mentioned elsewhere I recall they said that you could press the "4WD Lock" under reduced speed conditions. Now, I wonder, do they say that because it doesnt work at higher speeds or because they just felt you should be driving slow when conditions are bad? I really would like to know how this sytem works. We did not buy the CRV because of their uncontrollable part-time awd system. I really want to know exactly what this Lock button does before I spend $2x,000 on it. I'm Ok if it can save some mileage on good road conditions by automatically going into fwd mode, but I want to be able to tell it to use 4wd when I know the conditions may be getting slippery; I do not want to wait for the car to detect my sliding before the 4wd kicks on. (And please don't tell me it can predict it before it happens, the laws of physics on my planet do not account for cars having Extra-Sensory Perception or foresight into the future).
If anyone can post the information from a user's manual or a tech manual, I'd be very appreciative.

·
Registered
771 Posts
From what I read: Front wheel drive untill they slip then 4wheel drive. Its the new Toyota CRV crossover don't you know. :lol:
I like to call it "Maybe 4wheel drive" but not untill its too late......or is it?

RAV 4 will now stand for Rarely All-wheeldrive Vehicle 4 more money.

I'll have to drive it to compare but I like my '01 just the way it is.

Later. M. :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is not the case it is not nearly the same system at all. The 4WD system Toyota has implented is it detects BEFORE the actual slippage from what I hear the 4WD system is great.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The problem with the CR-V was not that its AWD system was reactive, it was more that it didn't react quickly enough, allowing a fair amount of wheelspin before sending power to the rear. The more sophisticated reactive AWD systems being used these days have the ability to predict how power should be distributed and do it before it's needed. For example, sending power to the rear whenever you're starting off from a stop instead of waiting for wheelspin before sending power. This is done with sensors and a computer -- no need to bend the rules of physics.

·
Registered
179 Posts
csis_agent said:
The 4WD system Toyota has implented is it detects BEFORE the actual slippage from what I hear the 4WD system is great.
I really don't want to sound cynical. I hope this system works great. But in the absence of any description of how it can detect slippage before it happens, I feel compelled to ask if it also has the following features: detect the winning lottery numbers before they are picked; detect the winning football teams before the games are played; detect an icy patch on the road before it is reached -oh wait, we said it can do that one.

no flames, please; just trying to inject some humor.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel compelled to ask if it also has the following features: detect the winning lottery numbers before they are picked; detect the winning football teams before the games are played;
Where can I pre-order that edition?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not into the mechanics of the 4WD and AWD systems (whether it can pre-sense slippage or not). I'm sure the systems offered from different companies are not similar or equal. Also, I cannot comment the CRV's (never drove one). I can, however, tell you that if the 2006 RAV'S 4WD system is as good as the one used in the Matrix it will be good enough for me. We owned a 4WD Matrix and 4WD RAV. Although different, both were excellent in snow and ice conditions (even wet roads). The Matrix system was instant and seamless. It did not feel different from the RAV's. It was all I needed. Could have used the additional traction this morning.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I agree with Jabba. If this thing can "predicit" the future (ie: one icy patch on a 10 mile highway) then I want one!

It is crap to say a car can predict anything. I know Toyota is good at building cars and trucks but, Gypsy trucks with the abillity to see the future?.......I don't think so Tim. Maybe the 06 RAV will give me a palm reading while I test drive it too. Not too much to ask is it?

Here is a prediction for you: I predict that this vehicle will be endlessly compared to the CRV in regards to its drive train and a whole lot of people out there are going to wish they had bought a 2005 for less $$$$.

One more is that I predict my 2001 is going to be the last RAV that I own. (Fact, I never buy the same car twice)

Just having fun. Can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Later. M. :lol:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Welcome to the 21st century, guys. Proactive, computer-controlled AWD is nothing new. Yes, the car really can decide how power is likely to be needed based on current conditions. No, it cannot look down the road and make predictions based on conditions that haven't happened yet. That's your job as the driver.

AWD is best when you need traction to accelerate, and that's where the computer-controlled power distribution comes in.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, it sounds like this system is very similar to the one used in the MDX and other vehicles. If so, it's a very good system. It PREDICTS slippage in certain situations (acceleration) and REACTS in others (wheel slips) but does so very fast and I usaully cannot even tell. I can say that my MDX handles very well in the snow and rain. Sometimes with a slick/snowy corner I approach slow and then actually accelerate into the turn (which kicks in the AWD) which works quite well (of course the MDX seems more "nose heavy" than the RAV4 so that may be due to "balancing" the weight better as well). The MDX also allow "lock in" at low speeds but I rarely use that (just don't have the need). If the 06 Rav4 system performs as well, most of all of you will be quite happy.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The correct word here is probably not "predict". More like estimates the likelihood of slipping given the conditions, and reacts accordingly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
01MDX said:
The MDX also allow "lock in" at low speeds
So I guess the MDX has a similar "Lock" button? Can you tell us what the car does if you "lock in" 4WD and then drive at 50mph/80kph? and then back down to 25mph/40kph? thanks!!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plas said:
The correct word here is probably not "predict". More like estimates the likelihood of slipping given the conditions, and reacts accordingly.
OK, but isn't a prediction really an estimate of the liklihood of an event under given circumstances? :wink:

I understand your point - that it's just a preset "kick-in" when something happens (ie. acceleration).

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jabba2000 said:
01MDX said:
The MDX also allow "lock in" at low speeds
So I guess the MDX has a similar "Lock" button? Can you tell us what the car does if you "lock in" 4WD and then drive at 50mph/80kph? and then back down to 25mph/40kph? thanks!!!
Yes, similar but the MDX "lock" cuts out at 18 mph and is only available in gears 1&2. Once it disengages it does not re-engage unless you hit the button again. That makes sense really. The purpose of the lock is to get you "unstuck". When you hit 18 mph you presumably are no longer in such hazardous conditions. I am quite happy with the system overall. I really haven't longed to have the full time AWD since the MDX's system is so good.

I can't say whether Toyota's will operate in the same manner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts