Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 V6 4wd and the 4WD and Trac Off lights both came on while driving today. Is there a common problem to look for when this happens?

I have never had any other issues with this RAV4. Also it just hit 75000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
Could be lots of things. And it may come and go. The only way to track it down is read the codes either with an All Codes reader like my Autel or using the jumper method described below the picture in post 2 here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the link. I was about to plan to get a code reader hooked up and the lights went out! LOL!

You were right!

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
575 Posts
In that post, a lot of pics disappeared. So I am attaching here the two relevant to checking/clearing the 4WD codes via "wire connection" method (no reader). Careful counting of the terminals is required if short is done by hand!!!

And the codes. The first letter+4 numbers are the codes read by scanner, the other two numbers are the 4WD light "blinking" pattern.

PS: I also have bought myself an Autel MaxDiag MD808 Pro. It's around $250 on Amazon, but it is a beast! Pro version has free lifetime updates for vehicles!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Note that that's from my 2011 service manual. I think that 2012 is the same.
If it is intermittent I would suspect wiring or connectors. A lot of codes have wiring harness as a possible cause.

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
I also have bought myself an Autel MaxDiag MD808 Pro. It's around $250 on Amazon, but it is a beast! Pro version has free lifetime updates for vehicles!
Note that that's from my 2011 service manual. I think that 2012 is the same.
If it is intermittent I would suspect wiring or connectors. A lot of codes have wiring harness as a possible cause.
Thanks for the diagrams & code listings. Before I bought my Autel MaxDiag Elite ($300+ years ago) I carried half a paper clip for the 4-13 count-the-blinks trick. An important step I used was clearing all codes with the 8-taps before taking any as gospel.

Since my Autel was old enough that it only covered up to 2009, just the other day I did the free upgrade to bring it current.
Couple tips: I had to register it on the Autel site and then go to Maxidiag site to update the SD card. It tried to overfill my 4GB SD card so I had to remove some brands like Maybach I'll never need it for.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
It tried to overfill my 4GB SD card so I had to remove some brands like Maybach I'll never need it for.
I have copied everything from the original 16GB card to a new 32GB one, just to be on the safe side. Also left a back-up on my hardrive. Copy works fine in my reader. I might need those Maybachs :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my first ever Toyota of any type and the only vehicle I have ever owned (and I have logged at least 1.25 million miles across a variety of vehicles) that has EVER healed itself. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
This is my first ever Toyota of any type and the only vehicle I have ever owned (and I have logged at least 1.25 million miles across a variety of vehicles) that has EVER healed itself. :)
Hope you didn't post too soon! Maybe I should have said, "It may go and come."

That was my experience while going thru a failing ABS rear wheel sensor scenerio many years ago. At the time the sensor was expensive, around $150, so we'd simply restart the engine when the error lights came on. Then they'd often stay off for a while. But the ABS codes were always there when read with the jumper. Seemed like they had to "boil over" to set the error lights. It finally kept erroring so often that I broke down and changed the left rear sensor. Roughly a year & half later it started again with the right rear sensor. By that time they were under $20 so I changed it right away.

So anyway don't be surprised if it unheals itself.

Reactions: SoNic67
1 - 13 of 13 Posts