Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, but I wasn't able to find it if it has.

I'm looking to buy a 2007-2011 4wd rav4 and I've been searching in various online markets such as craigslist. In many of the ads, the car will be labeled as a fwd, but in the pictures of the dash, you can clearly see the 4wd lock button.
So my question is, do the fwd models also include the 4wd lock button (obviously not functional), or have these cars been mislabeled as fwd?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's my understanding that 2009 and later FWD 3rd-gen RAV4's do have a "button" *looking* plug in the same spot as the 4WD button, but it does not have an icon on it, and I don't believe it's actually a button. I think it's just a filler plug (see first attached image).

Before 2009 that button was labeled "Auto LSD" (see second image). Here's what the document listing what's new for the 2009 model year has to say (page 104):

On the 2WD models, the Auto LSD switch has been discontinued. The driver can select the TRAC OFF mode by operating the VSC OFF switch. At the same time, the Auto LSD turns ON, thus enabling the operation of the Auto LSD function.

Basically, they took that button away when they added the VSC OFF button in front of the cup holder.

My guess is the sellers either mislabeled the vehicles as FWD, or didn't bother to take actual photos of the vehicles, and just recycled photos from other 4WD vehicles. If the latter is the case, it would make me suspicious as they're not representing the actual vehicle for sale.

Either way, it absolutely is NOT the same button seen in the 4x4 models.

Attachments

Reactions: Sam Knowski

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are in the least worried, when you go to look at the vehicle simply lay down and see if there is a driveshaft going to the rear. If there is then it is AWD if not then it is FWD.

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
I do wonder sometimes if some consider the "F" in FWD as Four not Front. In any case you may be able to get a RAV4 with a 4WD LOCK button for a Front Wheel Drive price, as long as the seller misses the 4WD badge on the rear, that is. :wink

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
A side note...........keep in mind that the majority of 2.4l engine(s) found in the '06-'08 models have a major oil consumption problem. It doesn't matter which wheels are driven.
Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts