• Not Sure?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still not sure about this one. I was going to purchase a Saturn Vue, but after a stern warning from my sister about all of the bad crash test rating it recieved from the NTSHA and the IIHS. I started looking deeper into the small suv category.

Ford Escape, chevy Equinox, suburua forester, honda CRV, and then I found the RAV4.

I'm so glad I heeded my sister's warnings!

back to my poll though....

When I decided on the Vue( before I knew about the rav4), I was intending on buying the 4wd version, but because of the reviews I 've read that stated the All wheel system not well designed and it didn't really do much so Consumer Reports decisively didn't recommmed it!

The rav4 being so new... I don't have this info yet... and I don't really want to wait for them to review the Ravv4 to buy it. They could literally take months!

Does any body have realistic info on how the 4wd option affects MPG?

BTW, i live in Houston, tx We don't have hills ! And I use to own a Jeep Wrangler for five years. I've taking that car off roading may be 6 times. So that's not an issue.

What i think the 4wd will do for me is having a safer car to drive if

i ever go start hydroplaning because of water.
Or hit a patch of ice and start spinning.
Or park on a nice grassy area but when get back rain has turned the ground into mud.

Will the 4wd in a Rav4 help in the above situations? Or is it a waste of money?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Don't forget that the new one is not full time 4WD like mine. Mine doesn't get the millage of the 2wd versions but the trade off for me is to be able to go anywhere, anytime, any season. In TX I may have opted for 2wd but now that I own a 4wd I don't think I'll ever go back. Too much fun and the versitility is awesome. When it rains in your area you get alot of mud so it may not be a bad idea. With the new "on demand" system it will save you gas but the added weight and $$$ are things you will have to concider.

I vote 4WD but thats because its what I would buy. Your needs are just that, yours. So you need to concider how much you'll appreciate it after you buy it. Its a shame to have it and not use it. One thing is for sure on the highway mine is great when its raining!

Later. M.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Re: FWD or 2WD???

The new RAV 4WD will not help if you are hydroplaning or hit a patch of ice, because it is never in 4WD mode over 25mph. However, the stability control will try to help in those situations. Nothing can really help you on ice. The 4WD will help you if you are starting out from snow or mud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts