Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! hope you can help me out. My rav4 is stuck in 4WD, stays there when cars starts, change gears and no response to pushing the on/off button. i removed the switch and still stuck on. thinking the switch may have gone bad? ANy ideas on how to test the switch or another idea on what can be wrong? Appears teh switch is a relay, four wires running to it and $60 to replace. Was going to take a chance and just order one and hope it fixed it, but figured i would ask you first :)
thanks!!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
I'm 99% sure it's not the switch. It would either be the 4WD module located behind the glove box next to the TPMS module, or the electro-magnetic couple clutch located just in front of the rear differential. Are you SURE the 4WD is stuck on, or are you going by the light on the instrument cluster? That light may indicate a problem with the 4WD system. Try unplugging the module and see if that helps. If not, the coupler must be mechanically locked.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Are any other lights on?.....check engine?...ABS?.... If so then that indicates a problem in the system and your 4 wheel drive will not engage.....take it someplace to have the rav looked at...

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Yes, the 4WD dash light is an error indication that the 4WD is disabled and the Skid Control ECU codes need to be read. 4WD is stuck off not on.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes, the 4WD dash light is an error indication that the 4WD is disabled and the Skid Control ECU codes need to be read. 4WD is stuck off not on.
That was my thought as well. My understanding is if the light comes on by itself (without pushing the button), it indicates a problem with the system and is alerting you that the 4WD system will not engage.

I've always thought it should flash, or something, to indicate a problem, as staying lit is, I think, misleading.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
That was my thought as well. My understanding is if the light comes on by itself (without pushing the button), it indicates a problem with the system and is alerting you that the 4WD system will not engage.

I've always thought it should flash, or something, to indicate a problem, as staying lit is, I think, misleading.
Yeah, the exact opposite logic of the LOCK light. :doh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good info, wasnt stuck on but off - still unsure what next

you were right, i assumed with front wheel spinning in sand it was in 4WD didnt realize it is front wheel and 4wheel engages back tires (daughters car). The 4Lock light was on, the VCS light and Check engine. I removed switch and made no difference. Today i just check and no lights are on, button when engaged turns on 4lock light but it really isnt in 4WD (couldnt get 4 tires to spin in sand). All lights are out, but my daughter said sometime they dont come on.

Thoughts? I really dont care about 4WD, but wondering if i can cause damage? Someone mentioned the 4WD control box behind glove box, is see two boxes which is it?
thansk!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The 4Lock light was on, the VCS light and Check engine.
You only mentioned the 4WD light in your original post. Take a look at this thread. It explains how all three lights will come on when a problem with the engine management system is detected.

Today i just check and no lights are on, button when engaged turns on 4lock light but it really isnt in 4WD (couldnt get 4 tires to spin in sand).
Could you get any tires to spin in sand. If 4WD and traction control are working properly your tires may spin slightly, but they should not spin wildly out of control throwing sand into the air.

Thoughts? I really dont care about 4WD, but wondering if i can cause damage? Someone mentioned the 4WD control box behind glove box, is see two boxes which is it?
thansk!!
If all three lights are on, then the 4WD is not the primary problem. Toyota chose to disable 4WD ( and cruise control for that matter) when an engine sensor is detecting a fault. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap causing your entire problem.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't think it is limited to engine management.....I'm pretty sure all 3 lights will come on if something like an ABS sensor detects a problem.....also as stated above the traction control system will limit wheel spin in all environments......if your rav is 09-12 you will have a button in the lower center dash console area that has a pic of a car and some squiggly lines...that is the button to turn off the traction control.....push AND hold for 10 to 15 seconds and release it when you see 2 or 3 lights on the instrument cluster light up.....this will turn off the traction control til you turn the rav off or push the button again.....if you just push and release the button without holding it only 1 light will come on and the traction control will turn back on at 25 MPH.....with traction control turned off your wheels will spin......if you have an 06-08 Google "rav4 tap dance"

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don't think it is limited to engine management.....I'm pretty sure all 3 lights will come on if something like an ABS sensor detects a problem....."
When this thread was first created, we collected information from a number of members (see data sheet). After analyzing the data we came to the following conclusions.

The CEL, VSC, and 4WD/TRAC (Check Engine Light, Vehicle Stability Control, and 4-Wheel Drive/Traction Control lights), indicate that the ECM has stored a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and means something is not quite right in the engine.

The VSC, ABS (Antilock Braking System), BRAKE, and sometimes TRAC (skidding car icon) lights, indicate a problem with the braking system.

Disclaimer: These conclusions were based on observations only. We have no official information from Toyota.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
codes still off and driving fine. 4wd and cruise both working fine. went to autozone and pulled the codes, returned p0138 and p0606 (see images). My daughter says the lights come on for days/weeks and then go off. Autozone guy said my ECM is crapping out. Agree? Looks like that is $500!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
returned p0138 and p0606 (see images). My daughter says the lights come on for days/weeks and then go off. Autozone guy said my ECM is crapping out. Agree? Looks like that is $500!
The P0138 is a very common code which indicates "O2 Oxygen sensor circuit,High Voltage, bank 1 sensor 2" . I'm sure if you search the forum you will see many references to this. This type of problem can come and go in the early stages until the sensor fails completely. It is something you can replace yourself at minimal cost if you are handy. It may even be cause by a loose connector which needs to be plugged in.

The P0606 code indicates, "PCM processor fault". The failure of the ECM is "ALMOST" unheard of. I would be suspicious of any mechanic that even suggest that as a likely cause.

Depending how another sensor is failing can sometime cause the P0606 code. For example if the wiring to your oxygen sensor has been shorted to 12v, it will not only show an oxygen sensor fail but could also show the ECM fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks! Seems like an easy fix to replace the O2 sensor, yes, very handy. Looking online there appears to be three different sensors for my 2006 4cyl Rav4. How do i relate bank 1 sensor 2 to buying the part which appears to be sold as downstream, down stream left or downstream right. all different parts.?

your help is incredibly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Looking online there appears to be three different sensors for my 2006 4cyl Rav4. How do i relate bank 1 sensor 2 to buying the part which appears to be sold as downstream, down stream left or downstream right. all different parts.?!
The 4cyl RAV should only have 2 sensors. B1S1 ( upstream sensor) and B1S2 (downstream sensor). I have never seen right/left added to the description. Perhaps you should look up the information on a different site.

Searching previous threads I found another member who was having problems finding the correct part. Maybe that thread can help you.

I also found by searching that many people who replaced the downstream sensor did not clear the P0138 code. It was only after replacing the upstream sensor (B1S1) that the CEL went out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks! Seems like an easy fix to replace the O2 sensor, yes, very handy. Looking online there appears to be three different sensors for my 2006 4cyl Rav4. How do i relate bank 1 sensor 2 to buying the part which appears to be sold as downstream, down stream left or downstream right. all different parts.?

your help is incredibly appreciated!!
Were you able to fix the problem, my 4wd light is also stuck on. I replaced the o2 sensor and cleared my codes, but still having the issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Were you able to fix the problem, my 4wd light is also stuck on. I replaced the o2 sensor and cleared my codes, but still having the issue.
If only the 4WD light is on that indicates a fault from the 4WD ECU & has nothing to do with O2 sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If only the 4WD light is on that indicates a fault from the 4WD ECU & has nothing to do with O2 sensors.
Yes, at the time it was the engine light on too. i had two codes P0606- Powertrain ( ECM/PCM) & P0138 - Powertrain ( 02 sensor circuit high voltage ( Bank 1 Sensor 2).

Hence, which is why i thought replacing the o2 sensor would solve the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Clear all codes and deal with the one(s) that come back on if any.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cleared the codes a year ago and none have came back. I cleared the ECU many ways. Using a obd2 and by disconnecting the battery. However the light stays on. So yesterday I tried the using the jumper method for the obd2 using a paper clip. I tried looking up what the flashes mean, but couldn't find anything online. The engine service light flashes in a 4-1 pattern and the 4wd flashes a 9-9 pattern. Do u know where I can find out what this means.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
The OBDII reader and disconnecting the battery will not clear the 4WD ECU since it has nothing to do with emissions, thus the light stays on. I'd suggest using the jumper and tapping the brake pedal eight quick times to clear it (and hopefully the 4WD light) and see if it comes back on. If it does we'll find the code.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts