Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my V6 Limited Everglade yesterday. Unfortunately, they gave me a 4x4, although I ordered the 4x2. They gave me the same price we negotiated for the 4x2, about $3000 under sticker - that's the only reason I took it.

Can someone who has drive 4x2 and 4x4 please tell me how big of a difference the ride is? The 4x4 seems quite a bit louder and stiffer than a 4x2 I test drove earlier. Both were/are Limiteds.

I have agonized over this all night, because I really don't need the 4x4 here in SoCal, but obviously, it is a good deal financially. Also, what is the (experienced) difference in gas mileage, if any and the difference in insurance?

I need to make a decision today, so please help!

Mica

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I drove both. No difference that I noticed at all. Gas mileage should be same too as the 4wd is on demand and in S Cal you won't demand it much:) Insurance is the same.. Ill bet you have the Dunlop tires and the other one which was quieter has the Yokohamas.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I actually have the Yokohamas. Maybe it's just different tire pressure or needs a suspension adjustment .

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Schwing! You win! AWD for the price of a 2WD. I'd definitely keep it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I test drove the 4x2 and the 4x4 and couldn't tell a difference between the two. I wound up getting the 4wd just because it snows where I live. I wouldn't worry about the gas so much as like Flyingn said "it's on demand". Plus you've got a V6 so it will easily tackle the added weight. I've got a 4cyl limited but it still does fine with the 4X4...

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Gas mileage would not be the same simply because the vehicle is by definition in AWD mode at least some of the time, which uses more fuel, but the penalty is tiny -- only 1 mpg apart for the V6 AWD vs FWD: 21/28 and 22/29 city/highway mpg.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I've decided to go for it. I love my new RAV!

·
Registered
269 Posts
The AWD might lower your MPGs, cost more for insurance and maybe be a stiffer ride but you'll have it if you need it and the AWD will hold it's value better.

Bonus for you!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven't looked into the RAV4's AWD system, but in the past Toyota AWD systems sent power to all four wheels all the time. (I once owned a 1988 Celica All-trac Turbo.) This should lend them a more balanced feel than a Honda-type system, which shunts power to the rear only when the front slips.

Given the EPA ratings, I wouldn't expect much difference in fuel economy. What difference there is is probably due to the extra weight of the AWD system as much as additional mechanical drag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts