Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everbody, I'm new to the forum. Well, I picked up a v6 4X4 Limited last week and just took my first long trip today. At 400 miles I got 25 MPG combined city/highway with a couple times on the happy peddle though I'm still breaking it in. Anyway, I noticed on uphills in cruise at 70 my tach would go from 2K to 2.5k until reaching the set speed. I would occationally shift it down to 4th to change the rpm but during these climbes it would go to 3k in forth. So what's with the 2.5k? Does the tranny have a lockup type torque converter that releases to climb avoiding the downshift?

S

·
0 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the link!! Wow, that was really interesting -- I don't consider myself scientifically adept, but I actually understood that article (the "howstuffworks" one), and I was wondering, too about 1) the RPM rise on gentle highspeed accelerations (or cruise-control encountering a hill), and 2) the "final" drop in RPM at reaching highway cruise speed. I was WONDERING about that! For this old dog, it's nice to know I can still learn something out of my realm.....

.... makes a ton of sense, that it's the lockup that drives the RPM down, and the release that allows it a temporary rise. Cool! Of course, I'd never experienced this, hadn't driven an automatic since about '80....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts