Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I posted this first at the end of an old thread, and thought that perhaps it was overlooked. So, I'm starting a new thread, looking for a little help.
Just wanted to check on the status of anyone who used the Scion canister and pump assembly (77740-21011) in place of the RAV4 part (77740-0R010). I have an 09 V6 Limited AWD and my girlfriend drove it one day in a terrible wet snowstorm and the slush tore the hose off between the charcoal canister and the filter. I assumed that changing the filter with the hose that was ripped off would fix it, however it hasn't. I took the charcoal canister off, and took it in to thaw it, and got about a half of a cup of water out of it, and left it off a few days to dry out. Reinstalled it, and about 200 miles later, same 5 codes and 3 lights. I'm assuming something internal was damaged by the intake of water, which then turned to ice. So, I believe I need the entire assembly. I hate the idea of spend $600, so if the Scion part works reliably for people I'd love to do that.

Thanks to RAV4 world for the forum! I've been around a long time, and this forum has helped me fix my RAV over and over again.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,757 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey RAV4 world! I just wanted to get a few details out there about changing my canister. As you can see in the pic, the scion piece 77740-21011 is identical, except for all the shield/brackets. Once you remove the brackets, and cut the vacuum hose to the proper length, they are identical from all outward appearances. I ordered mine new from Amazon for $200, because their return policy is very liberal, and if it didn't work, I wanted to send it back.

All in all, it was a great choice to use the scion part. It took about an hour total to swap, with a ratchet and a couple sockets, pliers for the hose clamp, and a tiny straight blade screwdriver to gently remove the hose that goes to the filter. I put the front end up on ramps, but you may or may not need to depending on your diet.

I installed it on April 17th, so it's been trouble free or over 2 months and about 5,000 miles.

I found very little information about this swap anywhere, and no one that had done it would respond to a pm to confirm that it was a long term fix, so I wanted to come back and let everyone know my experience. It seems like a lot of us come here for help and disappear, leaving a few great members to answer questions. Since I've been through this, and there isn't much info, I wanted to contribute to the forum, the little bit of knowledge I can add. If you have questions, I'm subscribed to this thread, and I will return pm's if you message me.

Fox

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, mine is a 09 V6 AWD Limited. I don't believe that there is a difference between the part numbers for the 4 and 6 cylinder Ravs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked great, and outside of about 15 minutes to prep the part to install, it was exactly as installing the RAV4 part would have been.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I got the part. Paid $218 of Amazon. That's the Scion part. Took me about three hours, I am no mechanic. The Rav4 part at the dealer was $891 and to install it would be another $500 to $600. I did see the Rav4 part on Amazon for $590. I did it without a lift and without jack stands and holy hell am I beat. Its not easy getting to everything and having the leverage to do the job, hence the three hours it took.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speaking for me, I had check engine light, 4wd light, and VSC light. Codes were P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419. I cleared the codes and made sure I didn't fill up the tank all the way. No lights for 50 miles then I did a lap around the highways. The next time I started the car the lights came on again. Replaced the assembly. so far I have no lights but I have only driven 6 miles. I need to get my car smog checked and then registered but I have to drive it enough to where the computer is at a "Ready" or "Complete" state to get it tested. From my understanding that means the car needs to be driven not an amount of time or distance but it has to go through all the testing for each component in a drive cycle. So when I drove it on the highway it must have checked some systems that caused the lights. I have to drive more and in different conditions to see where I'm at after the install. I will scan it again and see it everything is "Ready" or "Complete" before I get it smogged.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Scion parts works! I got mine used on ebay for $120 and it improved my MPG by 5. Easy to install too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Scion canister off Amazon for $287 and swapped it out on my 2008 V6. Seems to work. About an hour labor - most of that being figuring out the hose connectors and swapping brackets. See pix. I should add that the dealership wanted $1600 to do this - even with the part being near $1K, the labor involved was trivial. They did get me for the water pump however.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey RAV4 world! I just wanted to get a few details out there about changing my canister. As you can see in the pic, the scion piece 77740-21011 is identical, except for all the shield/brackets. Once you remove the brackets, and cut the vacuum hose to the proper length, they are identical from all outward appearances. I ordered mine new from Amazon for $200, because their return policy is very liberal, and if it didn't work, I wanted to send it back.

All in all, it was a great choice to use the scion part. It took about an hour total to swap, with a ratchet and a couple sockets, pliers for the hose clamp, and a tiny straight blade screwdriver to gently remove the hose that goes to the filter. I put the front end up on ramps, but you may or may not need to depending on your diet.

I installed it on April 17th, so it's been trouble free or over 2 months and about 5,000 miles.

I found very little information about this swap anywhere, and no one that had done it would respond to a pm to confirm that it was a long term fix, so I wanted to come back and let everyone know my experience. It seems like a lot of us come here for help and disappear, leaving a few great members to answer questions. Since I've been through this, and there isn't much info, I wanted to contribute to the forum, the little bit of knowledge I can add. If you have questions, I'm subscribed to this thread, and I will return pm's if you message me.

Fox
Hi Fox,
I have the same issue with EVAP canister and I ordered Scion TC (part no. 77740-21011). Do you happen to have any video of the work that you can share? I understand it is not a difficult task. I want to do it. thanks!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Hi Fox,
I have the same issue with EVAP canister and I ordered Scion TC (part no. 77740-21011). Do you happen to have any video of the work that you can share? I understand it is not a difficult task. I want to do it. thanks!
Check this video out. Also here is a thread that mentions most of the time the part that fail is actually the evap pump. Unless you damaged the canister then that is a different story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts