Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
He's not wrong, but his technical descriptions are not 100% accurate.

The shifter fork rides against a bearing. There is an increase in wear, but it's not a fixed object against a rotating object.
It is basically the same issue as the throwout bearing.

On holding the clutch in when in gear... Holding pressure on the clutch ALSO causes the crankshaft to ride forward in the journals, which is not where it is "broken in" to ride and increases wear in the engine, so while the throwout bearing is replaced with the clutch disk, the engine is not.

Using the clutch instead of the brake on the hill is a no-brainer.
Taking off on a hill? You need to know how to heel-toe. That's a basic skill for driving stick.

4 and 5 are also common sense.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Agreed 100%.
The only thing I did different when I had a manual was drop into neutral while coming to a stop, using the brakes not the engine to slow down. Since I didn't shift into First until I was ready to start off I automatically avoided leaving it in gear at a light.
Hey, this topic puts a smile on my face since I'll be driving a manual again once I get my 1968 P1800 going next summer. :)

What the ....? I'd added the Volvo to my signature but now it's gone. :shrug: Should I go out and check my garage?

OK, it's back. Saved me a trip out in the cold to the garage.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Agreed 100%.
The only thing I did different when I had a manual was drop into neutral while coming to a stop, using the brakes not the engine to slow down. Since I didn't shift into First until I was ready to start off I automatically avoided leaving it in gear at a light.
Hey, this topic puts a smile on my face since I'll be driving a manual again once I get my 1968 P1800 going next summer. :)

What the ....? I'd added the Volvo to my signature but now it's gone. :shrug: Should I go out and check my garage?

OK, it's back. Saved me a trip out in the cold to the garage.
Wow - do you have a P1800 in reasonably good shape? I helped a neighbor rebuild the engine on his 1960 - something P1800 after he had more than 100,000 miles on his when most American car engines were pretty well shot at 80,000 miles or less. He drove it for about another 10 years and at least one more engine rebuild.

Someone gave the reporter a Z for the report? - such luck! For us manual gearbox lovers most of that video was "common sense." UK driver licence testers were very particular about testers shifting into neutral, letting out the clutch, and applying the hand brake at traffic lights and in following proper procedure on hill starts. My tester said that most Americans failed the test the first time, then he told me that I had passed it on my first try - now several decades ago!

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Wow - do you have a P1800 in reasonably good shape? I helped a neighbor rebuild the engine on his 1960 - something P1800 after he had more than 100,000 miles on his when most American car engines were pretty well shot at 80,000 miles or less. He drove it for about another 10 years and at least one more engine rebuild.
Yep, bought it, actually an 1800S, to relive my first one, a red 1961 P1800 from 50 years ago, after seeing "it" in a Valvoline ad. Valvoline TV Spot, 'Horses to Horsepower' - iSpot.tv
Except for the side chrome trim the 1800S is the same as the P1800, the designation being changed when production was moved from England to Sweden, but the P1800 moniker still sticks for both.
Found it on eBay last summer. Had a rotisserie restoration a dozen years ago including a color change from white to black. The "wrong" guy owned it - zero mechanical knowledge. Everything except the brake booster and a couple of gauges is good except he let water get in the gas, lots of it! I'm surprised I was even able to drive it on the trailer. Have it registered and insured but only driven it less than a mile until discovering it doesn't run on water! Next summer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts