Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed this truck for 80 minutes, i resetted fuel computer and it stabilized at 4.7L/100km or 50 US mpg.

Radar set to 100km/h maximum distance 3 bars. 2.7 bars in tires. 95 RON shell fuel

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used to do that and you can get some great gas mileage, but even at that distance, trucks can do some serious damage throwing rocks and debris. With the RAV4, I have not done that, but it is definitely possible to get this mileage by driving this way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not bad! I was cruising at 80 km/h today on the highway and was averaging 5.8 L / 100 km. Temps were 2C degrees so hopefully it will get even better as Spring approaches!

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Yeah, too risky for me. Semi-trucks easily damage paint and windshield, from what come off their tires, or is kicked up on the road. However, definitely Prius type mileage, at that speed. Be careful.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
That's great fuel mileage. But unless Swedish roads are in much better condition than many U.S. roads I agree with others who have posted that following a truck can result in damage from stones which are thrown by truck tires.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see you have the feature where the camera reads the speed limit signs. So missed in the USA. :mad:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Torque, I recall you had posted about not following the truck so close. Are the three bars (maximum distance) good enough to not get those stones or rocks from hitting your RAV4?

Impressive mileage for sure. I didn't know that the air resistance disappears for at least 2-3 seconds.

Anyone know how long that advantage of little air resistance lasts?
Drafting Behind Trucks: Does it Work? : TreeHugger

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Torque, I recall you had posted about not following the truck so close. Are the three bars (maximum distance) good enough to not get those stones or rocks from hitting your RAV4?

Impressive mileage for sure. I didn't know that the air resistance disappears for at least 2-3 seconds.

Anyone know how long that advantage of little air resistance lasts?
Drafting Behind Trucks: Does it Work? : TreeHugger
Internalaudit, blogson, blueumbrella, corsair:

From my observation staying in the rightmost lane is the safest when trying to avoid stone chips. I typically go through 1 windshield per year but since I got the radar with the RAV4 trying to focus on mileage I've had almost no problems. That distance <should> be safe in my opinion.

Internalaudit: my other thread about radar distance was not to protect the car but rather not to have to spray all the time.

I also tested 2 bars (the medium range setting) and for anyone who want's to replicate this there is absolutely zero improvement going from 3 to 2 bars on the radar.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hypermilers have been trying different techniques for years with the Prius mainly. I would say 60 MPH in the right lane 5 car lengths or 100 feet behind a semi was the safer option. I'm not a fan of trucks at all. I've had a truck tire seriously damage a previous car and I've seen my share of exploding tires, ice sheets being deployed, and other hazardous materials that made me put a stop to that practice. You do save fuel, but there are too many variables that pose a threat. I drive on an interstate everyday and I've learned to stay far away from trucks. My only advise is to just be careful and stay safe.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The manual states 160/130/100ft at 50MPH for the different settings. So in my case slightly longer than 160ft, which also seems correct looking at the posts that are 50m/160ft apart.

At this distance there should not be much gain according to the mythbusters episode above.

It seemed to get draft well and I observed alot electric only from time to time. Typically I do not see much electric at those speeds.

I'm abit suprised it yields that much of a difference.

I fuelled up after 135kms and I could only put 5.66L so its definately high mpg. That is actually 4.2L/100km or 57 US mpg. Usually my trip computer is spot on but now the actual fuel method got a better mpg.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see you have the feature where the camera reads the speed limit signs. So missed in the USA. :mad:
Mine has it too, but it's actually not that great. In France, for instance, on a 130km/h autoroute it reads the 90 km/h or 70 km/h signs for every slip road... which stays like that for ages until another 130 km/h pops up.

It misses loads of signs too.

I switched it off and peek at the SatNav screen periodically.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not 50mpg but i easily get around 40 if i put it on 1 bar and get behind a big pickup like an f-150 or something.

I'm with other folks, drafting semis is just asking for problems.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not 50mpg but i easily get around 40 if i put it on 1 bar and get behind a big pickup like an f-150 or something.

I'm with other folks, drafting semis is just asking for problems.
At which speeds have you tried this? 40mpg is still great!

Assuming the same speeds, in your opinion do you think 1 bar behind a pickup truck is safer than 3 bars behind a semi?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts