Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Rav4 Limited is beyond manufacturer's 2 year servicing. While the manual recommends changing the oil every 10,000 miles, well-respected techs recommend 5000 miles for any make or model. My Rav4 will be 3 years old in June, but I am only coming up on 15,000 miles and have scheduled an oil change for this week. Thoughts?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Your 2014 Rav uses synthetic oil which lasts longer than conventional oil. I own a 2015 Rav and my maintenance calls for oil changes at 10,000 miles with the filter. I do my own oil changes and change the oil and filter every 7,000 miles. This is where I feel comfortable. For me, 5,000 miles is too soon to change it and 10,000 miles is too long to wait.

·
Registered
72 Posts
While what your "well-respected tech" said may work for many cars/people out there, to make such a blanket statement like that would cause me to rethink who I would use as my tech. Much like the previous generation of “techs” out there that pushed for oil changes every 3k miles.

Oil change intervals greatly depend on your driving style, environment, the type of oil/filter and the car itself. Many cars out there recommend oil changes every 7500 to 10,000 miles. Even some that recommend oil changes every 15,000 miles (ie. BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, etc).

My 2010 Mazda 3 recommended oil changes every 7500 miles (per the manual). At my first oil change, I went the 7500 miles and it looked a little dirty. Next oil change I did it at 4000 miles and it still looked clean (still brown, not black). I found the happy medium around 5500 miles. This was with dino oil. 7 years of ownership (until I sold it before buying the Rav4) and had zero issues. I did, however, switch to syn-blend oil after 50k miles.

My wife’s VW Beetle we do every 10k miles (full syn) and zero issues. On my corvette I change it once a year and it still comes out golden brown so I can probably go even every 2 years (weekend car so it doesn’t get too many miles throughout the year).

Personally I would change it at the recommend interval as stated in the manual. Check the color of the oil. Super black? Maybe change it sooner.

·
Registered
202 Posts
do an oil analysis. I use blackstone laboratories. It only costs $20 dollars and gives a detailed analysis on the condition of the oil, as well as any foreign contaminants ie: coolant

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
do an oil analysis. I use blackstone laboratories. It only costs $20 dollars and gives a detailed analysis on the condition of the oil, as well as any foreign contaminants ie: coolant
Great idea and I like data but for the $20 I can change my oil like I've been doing on all my cars every 5,000 miles for the last 50 years.

Reactions: BAH

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
By comparison, my 09 I4 RAV required 5000 mile intervals for it's warranty. It's virtually same engine as your 2014. I've done a couple of Blackstone oil analysis now at 90k-miles. With the dyno changed every 5000 it had really good readings. So switched to Mobil 1, going for 7500 mile intervals now.

It's more of a gee-whiz factor with the RAV which has had excellent maintenance (by me, lol). I don't do it to save money, but just to have some facts instead of speculation.

By contrast (and FWIW), I did a Blackstone test on my old 89 Silverado at 230k-miles, inherited it as an abused machine. It puffs a little smoke on start-up, uses maybe half quart in 3k. The UOA (used oil analysis) showed double the norm for iron particles; indicating possible valve train issues. I'm going to accelerate the change interval; and changed to a high mileage Valvoline synthetic to see how it goes. So there may be some value in testing older machines, with high mileage and unknown service history. For a new RAV decently maintained, probably not so much except to see everything is 'ops normal.'

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
My 2014 Rav4 Limited is beyond manufacturer's 2 year servicing. While the manual recommends changing the oil every 10,000 miles, well-respected techs recommend 5000 miles for any make or model. My Rav4 will be 3 years old in June, but I am only coming up on 15,000 miles and have scheduled an oil change for this week. Thoughts?
My thoughts are 5K on standard oil, 7500 on synthetic to be safe. The best suggestion is to have the oil analyzed more than once to establish a trend. Then you can figure out the best time/miles to change the oil.

As mentioned driving conditions is the key. Driving in NYC or LA traffic 100% of the time drastically shortens oil life. Mostly highway driving extends oil life.
Ours are done once a year or 5K with standard oil but we drive little.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I drive a Lexus NX, manufacturer recommended the first oil change at 10K, I drove only 5k on the first year, so I asked for an oil change. Don't feel comfortable driving two years with the same oil. My wife have a rav4 2016 XLE, drove 8k on the first year, and just got the oil changed. Our previous CRV had an oil life indicator it recommended an oil change only at 4k. Like mentioned before it depends on your driving style.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know that the recommended oil change interval is 10K but being and old fart I can't buy into 10K. I use Mobile One Syn and change it at 5K. I look at the long term effect on my engines.. I have an Acura with 120K on it. The engine is as clean inside as the day it was new and never uses any oil. I doubt if this would be the case if I neglected oil changes. If you are looking to trade your Rav at 50 or 60K , then change it at 10K. If you want it to last longer without problems, change it more often. Pretty cheap insurance.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
On the other hand I've seen Acuras, Hondas, & Toyotas that were abused with very few oil changes go well over 100K miles. One seldom changed the oil just kept adding to it as it was used. Not the way I would do things for sure.

I think 5K oil changes with all synthetic is a horrid waste of money and oil but it's not my money so carry on. I'm also an old fart but I have educated myself on modern oils both regular and synthetic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the other hand I've seen Acuras, Hondas, & Toyotas that were abused with very few oil changes go well over 100K miles. One seldom changed the oil just kept adding to it as it was used. Not the way I would do things for sure.

I think 5K oil changes with all synthetic is a horrid waste of money and oil but it's not my money so carry on. I'm also an old fart but I have educated myself on modern oils both regular and synthetic.
This

My manual says 10k synthetic, so that is what I am going to follow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I myself after looking at various oil analysis would only go 7,000 on Group 3 synthetic. That means all common synthetic oil other then Group 4 and Group 4/5 IE Mobil 1 Extended, Amsoil SS, Any Redline oil. I would also run a Fram Ultra, Amsoil, or Royal Purple oil filter. The Toyota filter will easily make the 10,000 mark because it has a higher micron rating and will let too many particulate through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't own a RAV4 yet, but I have always done 5,000 mile changes with Mobil 1 synthetic in all my cars. Oil is cheap engines are not plain & simple. I don't see them as being a horrid waste of money at all & that's what matters because it's my money after all.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Everyone should do to/with their vehicle(s) whatever they feel comfortable doing. Period. Amen.

Reactions: ashchuckton

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Everyone should do to/with their vehicle(s) whatever they feel comfortable doing. Period. Amen.
In that case, I'm going to change my oil with the factory recommended type every 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.

Except on odd-numbered days when the moon is full.:smile

·
Registered
83 Posts
Group 3 synthetic can go between 5,000 - 7,500 miles. Group 4 that are true synthetics will go 10,000 easily with the correct filter.

Amsoil SS oil with an amsoil filter will easily go 10,000 - it is a true group 4 synthetic. I would not go past 7500 miles on a standard off the shelf paper filter.

I don't like synthetic blends because there is no standard about how much of the oil has to be synthetic. So a synthetic blend could contain very little synthetic oil.

Also don't go more than a year on any oil or filter.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
In that case, I'm going to change my oil with the factory recommended type every 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.

Except on odd-numbered days when the moon is full.
Can I get an Amen? 0:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Rav4 - I changed oil & filter at (around) 10,000km; but every 1000-1500km, I added 500ml of engine oil (Castrol Sync 0w20) - so that driving is always very smooth....

I am not sure it is the right or correct way...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts