Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

Yesterday the Firestone store manager, who, I like, is very good at his job and I have nothing against, informed me that shocks and struts should be changed out every 50,000 miles which I found very hard to believe. He said its true and that people would rather buy a new set of tires vs paying for new shocks and struts because they are so expensive.

Can you smart people concur? 50,000 miles on a set of shocks and struts? I would have gone through almost a set of three so far as I own a 2007 Rav4 with a little over 135,000 on it.

Thank you all for your kind response.

-Gary

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
My policy is that if the strut isn't leaking and if the vehicle still rides fine and without any suspension "clunks" over normal roads I don't replace it. Whether you like the manager or not, it appears that he is following the usual practice of trying to upsell/oversell customers and probably is receiving commissions on whatever he does sell.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Yep, upsell all the way! These managers and service writers are often "very nice" but with the only goal to sell more with a smile. I once had one of my Harley customers say of a Harley dealer, "They had no idea how to fix my bike but they were very nice."
Our '06 has 138,000 on it with the only non-original shock/strut being the right front which started banging around 70K so I replaced it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
aka...Manager Fake Smile here = Open Your Wallet Man $$
- find a small independently owner/operated shop...and search for some honesty

Our '08 Limited has 155K Km.
- still rides like new and the Firestone Destination Le2 tire wear is slow & even

·
Registered
279 Posts
I replaced mine at 60k miles because they were worn. I'm about 110k miles right now. My front driver might be going bad again. Kyb gr2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts