Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
264 Posts
I haven't tried this product but it's unrealistically cheap
4 corners of your suspension refreshed for $58

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-2-Complete-Struts-Assembly-w-coil-springs-2-Shocks-For-06-11-2012-RAV4/352600951659?fits=Model:RAV4&hash=item5218a78b6b:g:6zkAAOSwyUpcb~fD

Good luck Rav4ers!

If it's too good to be true ... Problem with this is the time required to replace the 'corners' + at least $100 for alignment. In that sense $58 or $200 make little difference to me but a known manufacturer with known product history does.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Some OE level replacement parts are scary cheap. There are always hidden cost: Child labor, exploited regional resources... But I can imagine that many of the shock/struts out there do not cost much more than that to manufacture. Even as a cheap *******, I would not be putting that stuff on my car though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some OE level replacement parts are scary cheap. There are always hidden cost: Child labor, exploited regional resources... But I can imagine that many of the shock/struts out there do not cost much more than that to manufacture. Even as a cheap *******, I would not be putting that stuff on my car though.
My Hoop4 is deathly bouncy. Totally blown out, bounces for ages so anything will be better than nothing. I usually baby my cars with factory or better parts but I bought this high mileage Rav4 to minimize emotional attachment and enjoy the car for what it is. I'll be happy if it lasts more than 1-2 years before it's not worth fixing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I implemented this suspension and it is 10x better. My front right strut was ripped from the mount and banging around. It's very smooth and firm now. I am having shaking issues but I think it's from the 2" lift, not the struts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
June 2020 Update: Confirmed the shaking the is from the lift (loose sway bar links).

The $58 suspension has been going strong for a year including some off roading. I suspect it will start to get soft in the next few months, but we'll see. The price went closer to $200 and the old link above has sold out since last year.

If you want try the extreme hoopty budget route too: $80 with no springs here.
Or do it with quick struts: $37 rear shock pair here. + $143 Complete struts here.
And there are junk yard takeoffs for about $80 as well with springs.

Also Rockauto sells the complete kit for $310, the hoopty route saves you about $130. This is a knockaround car for me, so I tried the hoopty route and have definitely gotten my money's worth in a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts