Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
135 Posts
I am going to ask for an oil/filter change at 5k maintenance and I assume I will pay for the oil/filter on my own dime. Is that correct? The Toyota Care for 2 years covers oil changes at 10k intervals where you are not charged for anything, correct? (this would basically be 2 oil changes over the two years of Toyota Care if I am right). I have always gone on the severe usage recommendation for my cars and changed the oil more often and with the RAV4 I'm thinking it is more important if there is any oil contamination from gasoline (and again, is this assumption correct?). I'm a newbie only having had my car for 5 days now.

·
Premium Member
2019 Rav4 LE Hybrid
158 Posts
I am going to ask for an oil/filter change at 5k maintenance and I assume I will pay for the oil/filter on my own dime. Is that correct? The Toyota Care for 2 years covers oil changes at 10k intervals where you are not charged for anything, correct? (this would basically be 2 oil changes over the two years of Toyota Care if I am right). I have always gone on the severe usage recommendation for my cars and changed the oil more often and with the RAV4 I'm thinking it is more important if there is any oil contamination from gasoline (and again, is this assumption correct?). I'm a newbie only having had my car for 5 days now.
We also changed our oil at 5k based on recommendations. We did have to pay for it; however, they didn't charge us much.

·
Registered
135 Posts
We also changed our oil at 5k based on recommendations. We did have to pay for it; however, they didn't charge us much.
My assumption is correct then and the small charge for the more frequent oil changes is worth it to me for the potential extension of engine health and longevity. The Car Nut also thought you should do the initial oil change at 1000 miles (like you used to do when engines used to have "break-in oil" in them from the factory). Does anybody do this as well?

·
Registered
525 Posts
My assumption is correct then and the small charge for the more frequent oil changes is worth it to me for the potential extension of engine health and longevity. The Car Nut also thought you should do the initial oil change at 1000 miles (like you used to do when engines used to have "break-in oil" in them from the factory). Does anybody do this as well?
It certainly won’t hurt anything to change the oil @ 5000 instead of 10,000. Or even @ 1000, if you wish. I figure ICE miles are <50% of my overall miles, so I was comfortable sticking with the factory intervals. And, if I had changed @ 1000 miles, there would have been only a couple of hundred, if that, with the ICE. That seemed unnecessary.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I personally think that’s too soon but it certainly doesn’t hurt. The engine is still breaking in beyond 1000 miles. I changed my oil at 2500 miles on my ‘19 XLE premium gas RAV4, and changed it again at 10000 miles. Break in metals we’re still elevated at 10000 miles, so the engine was still breaking in even after 2500 miles on the odometer. Oil analysis at 20000 miles showed wear in had stabilized with metal levels at expected levels.

5000 miles is fine. I didn’t change mine until 5k on my ‘21 Hybrid XSE after the 2500 mile experiment on my last RAV4.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE Pro Audio/Dynamic Nav/Weather Packages Build date: June 2021
1,120 Posts
The Car Nut also thought you should do the initial oil change at 1000 miles (like you used to do when engines used to have "break-in oil" in them from the factory). Does anybody do this as well?
We did our 5K service at 10 months old. The dealer suggested doing the oil change then because Toyo says 1 year or 10K miles so since we were that close went ahead and did it then and the reality is the car had maybe around 800mi on the ICE at that point in time so effectively that's what we did. There was no charge for the oil change as I think they provide two changes no matter when they're done during that first 2y is my understanding. We will end up changing oil yearly which will be more than enough. The Car Nut will tell you to change oil at 6 months even if there is 15 miles on the ICE as he believes oil dilution with gasoline is an issue, which 1000% is related to how many miles on the oil in the ICE, and if the ICE is frequently "short-cycled". We never short-cycle the ICE and expect when this car is 5 years old the ICE will still be in pristine condition since we use EV for 90% of our miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to Toyota's service schedule, 5k includes:
Check Installation of Driver's floor mat
Rotate Tires (not actually needed since I just put goodyear eagle sports on to replace the stock Dunlops)
Inspect Wiper Blades
Inspect DC/DC converter air intake filter (what do you all think? will they try and hit me with a cleaning fee since this only says "inspect" and not "clean/replace")
Inspect/adjuste all fluid levels
visually inspect brake pads and discs
add toyota EFI tank additive or equivalent

Then under "Special operating conditions" service suggestions:
replace engine oil and filter

And if you have been doing any towing or off road driving (no and yes, lots):
torque nuts and bolts on chassis and body
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
inspect drive shaft boots
inspect engine air filter

I'd like them to do all of those, with the exception of the oil change, but they're the type of thing that it's really hard to be sure the dealer checked unless you basically do it yourself, anyway. Once my back is better, I actually will inspect everything on the suspension and the CV joints, but I have no idea what all chassis and body nuts and bolts get checked or what the torque specs are. That's the big thing I'd like them to do. But hey, if the QA/QC at the dealership is always going to be suspect, at least Toyota's factory QC has a really good reputation overall.

I changed my oil at around 1500-2000 ICE miles (3000 total) at home. I will have the car for a decade, I'm an ex-shop guy anyway, oil is cheap. Changing it every 6 months vs 10k miles would be 5 extra changes in 10 years. That's less than $200 for me since I do it myself, and $200 is about the cheapest repair insurance one can get. I'll still take my free service plan oil changes, but I'll do my best to time them up with the 6 month plan (Gonna just try and hit it around New Year's and 4th of July).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had it done at 6,000 miles for our 2022 RAV 4 Prime as at 5,000 miles they could not take it in for nearly a month. They rotated the tires and checked all the fluid and all was OK. I will have the oil change for free at 10,000 miles.

A few weeks ago our local Toyota Dealer here in Warrenton Oregon sent us a flyer where they had an oil change special for $29.99 which includes synthetic oil. I had them change the oil in our 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid when it was in for a fuel tank replacement (fully covered under warranty). The oil had about 6,000 miles since the last oil change as during that time we had about 2,000 miles on it pulling our travel trailer which weights 3,000+ lbs. I could not change it myself for that price even buying oil and filters on sale

·
Registered
135 Posts
You shouldn’t have had to. You get 2 free oil changes. You can use them at shorter intervals if you wish.
So what you are saying is that I can request an oil change at 5k and 10k initially and then after that it will be on my dime? :unsure:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Being too lazy to look it up myself, does the 10,000 mile oil change apply to all RAV's or just the Prime?

And what is this "small charge" or "Didn't charge me much". The dealership I purchased from has an oil change cost of over $100. Not looking forward to nearly doubling the cost of my oil changes from my previous vehicle.

The Hybrid continues costing me more to operate than my bit truck cost. LOL

·
Registered
324 Posts
According to Toyota's service schedule, 5k includes:
Check Installation of Driver's floor mat
Rotate Tires (not actually needed since I just put goodyear eagle sports on to replace the stock Dunlops)
Inspect Wiper Blades
Inspect DC/DC converter air intake filter (what do you all think? will they try and hit me with a cleaning fee since this only says "inspect" and not "clean/replace")
Inspect/adjuste all fluid levels
visually inspect brake pads and discs
add toyota EFI tank additive or equivalent

Then under "Special operating conditions" service suggestions:
replace engine oil and filter

And if you have been doing any towing or off road driving (no and yes, lots):
torque nuts and bolts on chassis and body
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
inspect drive shaft boots
inspect engine air filter

I'd like them to do all of those, with the exception of the oil change, but they're the type of thing that it's really hard to be sure the dealer checked unless you basically do it yourself, anyway. Once my back is better, I actually will inspect everything on the suspension and the CV joints, but I have no idea what all chassis and body nuts and bolts get checked or what the torque specs are. That's the big thing I'd like them to do. But hey, if the QA/QC at the dealership is always going to be suspect, at least Toyota's factory QC has a really good reputation overall.

I changed my oil at around 1500-2000 ICE miles (3000 total) at home. I will have the car for a decade, I'm an ex-shop guy anyway, oil is cheap. Changing it every 6 months vs 10k miles would be 5 extra changes in 10 years. That's less than $200 for me since I do it myself, and $200 is about the cheapest repair insurance one can get. I'll still take my free service plan oil changes, but I'll do my best to time them up with the 6 month plan (Gonna just try and hit it around New Year's and 4th of July).
I wish you luck on the torquing of bolts. My dealer can't even torque the lug nuts. Better to do it yourself, then you know where you are at.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you do a lot of EV driving, don't waste resources, time, and money doing an oil change at 5K miles. This isn't 1978 anymore.

I did my first oil change at 10K miles which is what the service guide says to do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This thread is not meant to rehash the debate over what the appropriate oil change interval is. There are 100 other threads for people to do that. I change my oil at the interval that makes sense to me. That may be more often than what makes sense to other people.

@wscan good tip about that being a Hawaii only thing. I wonder why.
@old timer yeah, I doubt they would actually check all of what is supposed to be checked. If I could jsut get the list of which ones should be checked and what the torque shoudl be, that would be awesome, but I doubt that would be forthcoming either. I'm not TOO worried about it because I'm not hearing any rattles or noticing any loose panels. And again, the factor QA/QC is geenerally good for Toyota so I'll work under the assumption that if there is anything wrong, I'll learn about it with a rattle or a squeak or something of that nature.

It would seem that the included maintenances consists of only a couple of oil changes, and 2 years of tire rotations, plus courtesy checks and fluids as needed. Is that about right?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts