Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

5k service?

4502 86
Anyone know the official 5k service checklist, or where I can find it?
I want to make sure the dealer does everything they're supposed to.
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
281 Posts
Blatant attempt to establish migratory patterns among bird brained owners willing to believe long term that the stealership does better service than anyone else.

Sorry, could not control myself!!!

Seriously, there are many good dealers. And there are many crappy oil change places. Do your local research. By all means, take it in for those free oil changes and perhaps even tire rotations (I can rotate my tires in less time than it takes me to get settled in the dealer hospitality lounge, so I will pass). Besides, once the OEM tires are shot, I like costco. They rebalance and nitrogen at every rotation. And I spend $100 on stuff I don't need while waiting. But that's another story!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Synthetic oil in RAV 4 lasts longer. 10,000 miles should be very good, but you do what you want. My dealer did a full exam and gave me a checklist of what they did at each visit then signed my maintenance book at each 5K. If there is a problem, I have the records.

·
Registered
2022 Prime
14 Posts
It would seem that the included maintenances consists of only a couple of oil changes, and 2 years of tire rotations, plus courtesy checks and fluids as needed. Is that about right?
Yes, you get two free oil changes at the 10k intervals, 5 tire rotations and various inspections and top offs. I decided to skip my first 5k maintenance, it’s just not worth my time to go to the dealership for so little to be done. I doubt I’m even at 1000 ICE miles yet, I wish there was a way to check!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
580 Posts
So what you are saying is that I can request an oil change at 5k and 10k initially and then after that it will be on my dime? :unsure:
Exactly. Most customers don’t know this and opt for changes at 10k and 20k miles. You can use yours earlier, but as you mentioned, you’ll be responsible for covering after 10k miles.

·
Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
1,092 Posts
Being too lazy to look it up myself, does the 10,000 mile oil change apply to all RAV's or just the Prime?

And what is this "small charge" or "Didn't charge me much". The dealership I purchased from has an oil change cost of over $100. Not looking forward to nearly doubling the cost of my oil changes from my previous vehicle.

The Hybrid continues costing me more to operate than my bit truck cost. LOL
It's not the car that's more expensive, it's the rise in oil prices for any car that is driving up the cost of oil changes.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE, former Prime SE [sold]
624 Posts
It would seem that the included maintenances consists of only a couple of oil changes, and 2 years of tire rotations, plus courtesy checks and fluids as needed. Is that about right?
Yes. IMO the ostensible goal of the Toyotacare program is to get you accustomed to coming to the dealer for service. So you’ll be back when the freebies are over. The service requirements are almost nothing. The tools to do the tire rotation came with the car. Oil change is trivial. For some of us it’s not worth the hassle factor of bringing the car in, drop off and pickup, or if you stay dealing with the sales guy roaming the waiting room offering to buy my car etc. i can do it myself faster than I can drive over there and just check in. And it’s done to my specifications.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
979 Posts
Oil change is trivial. […] i can do it myself faster than I can drive over there and just check in.
That is unless your factory oil filter was screwed on by an orangoutang like mine was. Add a few hours for that.

But generally, yes. You are 100% correct. Most maintenance items are trivial and I've committed to doing them myself as much as possible. My car has been to a dealership twice: first for it to be sold to me, and second to have those recalls/software updates applied. I don't intend to bring it back to a dealer ever again if I can prevent it. I'd rather pretend "ToyotaCare" doesn't exist.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Says in car manual book. 5k is basically them looking at car and tire rotation (if they even do that) i mark my tire to make sure they rotate it.
Love it! I too mark my wheels - just a sharpie mark on the rim, near the valve stem, so I can find it again. Plus, I test the lug nuts by hand, to make sure I can't back them off.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
135 Posts
For some of us it’s not worth the hassle factor of bringing the car in, drop off and pickup, or if you stay dealing with the sales guy roaming the waiting room offering to buy my car etc.
I've never had that experience in bringing my Toyotas in for service over the years. My dealer's new place is four years old and beautiful. There are two waiting areas: one has all kinds of tech: plugins for computers, TV, coffee makers, refrigerator, popcorn maker, etc;.the more or less standard waiting area. It is somewhat loud in there. The other is a quiet waiting area with soft music and a waterfall. It is more of the way I want to wait for my car so I can read or nap, whatever.. They have a fairly large children's playing area too for parents who bring their kids with (why they would do that I don't know). The Service Department is so clean you could eat off the floor. There are six lanes where cars pull up and the repair order is written by the Service writers. The showroom is enormous and they sell about 140 new cars every month (one of the highest volume dealers in Illinois according to my salesman as they are allocated more new cars than any Toyota dealer in the surrounding area). The dealership is about 40 minutes away so I don't drop the car off. I've never had a salesperson come up to me about selling my car or anything like that. If my salesman does notice that I am there he will say hi to me and ask about my car. I also enjoy roaming the showroom and looking at the different models of new cars while I am waiting. Routine maintenance never takes very long and I am retired so everyday is Saturday. I guess I'm one of the strange people who actually look forward to having my car serviced. It's the same when I bring in my Acura.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I took down the serial numbers on the tires. As to torquing the lug nuts, the orangutang tightened mine, not once but twice to in excess of 100lbs/ft. I did a reset after the fact, but the damage is already done. The bolts are stretched. Yes I know, not by much, BUT, the manufacturer put a rating on them for a reason. They use an air wrench and a "torque stick", they said which is absolutely accurate. What a crock of S---. I won't mention the oil overfill by half a liter because the car only takes 4.5ltrs. Too bloody lazy to do it right. Again, is it a big deal, I don't know, but they say do not overfill. Again, Toyota put a full mark on the dip stick for a reason, didn't they??

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've never had that experience in bringing my Toyotas in for service over the years. My dealer's new place is four years old and beautiful. There are two waiting areas: one has all kinds of tech: plugins for computers, TV, coffee makers, refrigerator, popcorn maker, etc;.the more or less standard waiting area. It is somewhat loud in there. The other is a quiet waiting area with soft music and a waterfall. It is more of the way I want to wait for my car so I can read or nap, whatever.. They have a fairly large children's playing area too for parents who bring their kids with (why they would do that I don't know). The Service Department is so clean you could eat off the floor. There are six lanes where cars pull up and the repair order is written by the Service writers. The showroom is enormous and they sell about 140 new cars every month (one of the highest volume dealers in Illinois according to my salesman as they are allocated more new cars than any Toyota dealer in the surrounding area). The dealership is about 40 minutes away so I don't drop the car off. I've never had a salesperson come up to me about selling my car or anything like that. If my salesman does notice that I am there he will say hi to me and ask about my car. I also enjoy roaming the showroom and looking at the different models of new cars while I am waiting. Routine maintenance never takes very long and I am retired so everyday is Saturday. I guess I'm one of the strange people who actually look forward to having my car serviced. It's the same when I bring in my Acura.
You assume because they have a nice waiting area that the work will be done correctly. Do you by any chance check their results??

·
Registered
584 Posts
Go for the ToyotaCare or not, that’s up to you. You paid for it when you bought the car (it’s not a freebie, check your sticker for that line item). Choose to use what you purchased or ignore it. I’m using mine at a good service center and I’ll go back to DIY in the future. No need to shame others.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Go for the ToyotaCare or not, that’s up to you. You paid for it when you bought the car (it’s not a freebie, check your sticker for that line item). Choose to use what you purchased or ignore it. I’m using mine at a good service center and I’ll go back to DIY in the future. No need to shame others.
Thank you. I do choose to use Toyota Care at the dealer (as it was paid for like you pointed out when I read the fine print just now at the bottom of the window sticker) and after that will go to the Car Nut (Ahmed told me Toyota Care HAS to be done at the dealer, he can't do that). I think they'll both be good service centers and as I said before, I'm way too old to do my own work like I did when I was younger. Ahmed told me he cannot do warranty work or things like that either so if that becomes necessary I'll have to have it done at a dealer also. My feeling on this is to each their own and you should do what you think best for your car and your individual situation. Here is the fine print I didn't read at the bottom of the sticker.
Rectangle Font Paper Number Paper product

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE Pro Audio/Dynamic Nav/Weather Packages Build date: June 2021
1,120 Posts
I don't see how a dealership service department can survive if they're always trying to pull one on you it just doesn't equate. Word spreads very quickly nowadays. I've been impressed by all of my encounters w/ dealership service departments (Ford, Subaru) in terms of detailed reports on what was done and why and other "findings". I'm also very clear what my expectations are up front maybe that helps. I've had some work done that would have had great potential for abuse, for example wiring damage caused by rodents in my Ford Fusion Hybrid, and that was repaired for what seemed like reasonable cost.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thank you. I do choose to use Toyota Care at the dealer (as it was paid for like you pointed out when I read the fine print just now at the bottom of the window sticker) and after that will go to the Car Nut (Ahmed told me Toyota Care HAS to be done at the dealer, he can't do that). I think they'll both be good service centers and as I said before, I'm way too old to do my own work like I did when I was younger. Ahmed told me he cannot do warranty work or things like that either so if that becomes necessary I'll have to have it done at a dealer also. My feeling on this is to each their own and you should do what you think best for your car and your individual situation. Here is the fine print I didn't read at the bottom of the sticker.
View attachment 187404
Southeast Toyota is even more explicit. They call it ToyoGuard Platinum by bundling it with roadside assistance, paint sealant and interior spray. You’re prepaying your four visits with the dealer down here.

Font Rectangle Circle Paper product Art

·
Registered
497 Posts
Southeast Toyota is even more explicit. They call it ToyoGuard Platinum by bundling it with roadside assistance, paint sealant and interior spray. You’re prepaying your four visits with the dealer down here.

View attachment 187407
I was able to opt out of the plan above. Not sure all what it covered but it was 4 oil changes, but when I volunteered how little I drive, he adjusted it to 2 changes and lowered the cost.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It certainly won’t hurt anything to change the oil @ 5000 instead of 10,000. Or even @ 1000, if you wish. I figure ICE miles are <50% of my overall miles, so I was comfortable sticking with the factory intervals. And, if I had changed @ 1000 miles, there would have been only a couple of hundred, if that, with the ICE. That seemed unnecessary.
You know, I have to get my head wrapped around this car and how it runs. You are absolutely correct in that if the odometer shows 1000 miles, those are not 1000 ICE miles on your ICE engine. I would say now that it IS <50% and probably more. The car doesn't record the miles the ICE engine ran I suppose? (Dumb question because I am pretty sure I know the answer and that is the car doesn't split it for mileage for EV and mileage for ICE). 🥴

21 - 40 of 87 Posts