Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
That would be something if it did. Are the dimensions of the 5SFE and the 3SFE the same, just the 5S is 2.2L versus the 3S 2.0L.

·
Registered
542 Posts
don't think you'd get much of a power boost from it!! it's a centrifugal type (depends on the gearing & engine speed), not roots or screw type, & it's sucking warm air w/ out an intercooler!!

any other 2 cents worth?

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I think there would be plenty of power gains from it... as for the sucking in warm air yes that may be true, but regardless there will be still plenty of power gains.... an intercooler helps but isn't necessary for lower boost applications....
As for fitting the 3SFE that would have to be discussed with rippmods , since they would most likely have to do some customizing... I think it's possible but those things aren't cheap... I believe there in the 3k range or so on cost... :eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
peterpogi2005 said:
don't think you'd get much of a power boost from it!! it's a centrifugal type (depends on the gearing & engine speed), not roots or screw type, & it's sucking warm air w/ out an intercooler!!

any other 2 cents worth?
what is the mean of "centrifugal"
check the specs and info.... it give about 90-100 % more HP (if the pulley is on the 9 psi, injectors, etc.)

·
Registered
542 Posts
centrifugal pumps work on the principal that air (or anything fluid-like) entering the center will be thrown out to the edge by a spinning plate w/ veins or ribs. this high velocity air is then collected in a collector & delivered to it's point of use. try this website for an explanation from the professionals http://www.pumpworld.com/toc.htm and http://www.pumpworld.com/contents.htm!!

ok, after doing 10mins of looking, here is some blurb on these mechanical driven centrifugal blowers. http://www.procharger.com/ and http://www.purehonda.com/cool/supercharger.html (sorry about it being a site for hondas)!!

have fun..

K

·
0 Posts
That's a belt driven supercharger.

Better off get the supercharger off the 4AGE levin.

The 5S-FE will fit, but there might be some alteration in the supercharger - engine bolt.

S

·
0 Posts
the answer to your question is that no, the two are not compatable. not because of displacement disperancies (stroke being the only difference between the 5 and 3 s) but because of the ECU. you can fool the heck out of mechanical bits but you can't try and fool the brain of the ecu into thinking that your actually running a larger displacment engine. i have talked to the folks at ripp modds about this already. you can convert a 3s to a 5s buy getting a new crankshaft and ecu, but the expense is certainly not worth the trouble. also the 5s crankshaft is weak sauce compaired to the 3s, so it doesn't even make much sense to boost it anyways.

M

·
0 Posts
Centrefugal superchargers have the advantage of both turbo chargers and superchargers.

Advantage :
1- No Turbo Lag
2- No need for an intercooler (your output temps are low compared to a turbo)
3- great response.
4- No need to buy a BOV
5- No need to buy a turbo manifold.
6- No need to work with a glowing red hot chunk of metal/ceramic in the engine bay.

Disadvantage:
1- Expensive (procharger)
2- Expensive (ECU upgrade/piggyback/standalone)
3- Expensive (boost controller)
4- Expensive (feul management system (pump, injectors, lines, etc))
5- Expensive (boost guage)

Thats my 2 dirhams.

Enjoy your evening getilmen, and if you guys do go for a C-based supercharger, I WANT VIDS DAMMIT MAKE SURE IT HAS SOUND TOO... they sound so frikkin awesome

if you have some $$ to punch down, its a GREAT upgrade, just MAKE SURE YOU TUNE IT RIGHT. Its more expensive than a turbo because the demand is not as high, but definatly a nice upgrade.

Also, 3S-FE IS NOT LIKE THE 5S-FE....

id love to see one of those on the rav, im sure the sound is AWESOME.

S

·
0 Posts
C-charger

I am going to agree with you 100% on the niceties of a centrafual superchager having one installed on a 97 454 vortech for 2 years now, love it to death. thats what made the ripp mod kit so appealing, but again its only for the 5s, which IS a stroked 3s. I have done my homework on this one as i almost went to the trouble of converting it when i had to do an engine rebuid last year. the difference is a longer weaker crankshaft, fuel managment, and mapping. if you have any questions just look at the block and head unit codes, there are the same.

M

·
0 Posts
Heya, I live in UAE as well :)

I have some remarks on your post. I've been looking for a supercharger in my rav 4.1 as well, though I might go turbo in the end, better for off-road.

mechaniki said:
Advantage :
1- No Turbo Lag
2- No need for an intercooler (your output temps are low compared to a turbo)
3- great response.
4- No need to buy a BOV
I'm looking at both a centr. supercharger and a rootsblower. The difference is in the powerband. While this ripps thing will give you high horsepower, it does has a sort of "lag". In a way that you will only feel the torque kicking in at 4.5k or 5k RPM.. then it goes up very quickly and put down big numbers. Though many people only focus on horsepower.. - while they actually mean torque.

An intercooler will just increase horsepower.. the design of this just doesnt allow it, and it is still able to make good power. Reroute the boosted air though and slap in an FMIC, and you'll see an extra few dozen of ponies. Ripp most often go with alcohol injection, which is in some countries not easy to pull off.

Great response, as the turbo lag. It has some "lag", if you'd go for a roots blower, you'll have boost from 1.5k or 2k already.

No need to buy a BOV..
Actually you do, what will happen if your throttle body shuts and there's still boost in there? The BOV is right between the throttle body and the air filter.

mechaniki said:
Disadvantage:
3- Expensive (boost controller)
A boost controller on a supercharger? That would be called a "pulley" ;)

Just wanted to put some things straight..

Do you go often offroad?

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts