Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been creeping all over the site for information and it's been a treasure chest of info so thanks for that.

My most recent purchase was a great 2000 AWD 5speed Rav 4.1. The previous owner loved this thing and took amazing care of it however until the engine took on water and he blew the block.

So being the semi experienced ex Toyota tech that I am (mostly supra's) I wanted to get a fresh engine in there and I told the 5sfe will work.

Note:
this will be a short block swap only. Everything else will be using the existing 3sfe electronics, ecu etc.

Will this work?
What gen 5s do I have to use?
What modifications will have to be made if any?
I've read of this being successful and not so successful.

I'm debating just getting a used 3s engine but a low km one is difficult to acquire for a good price.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Star thanks for the fast reply!

Omg nothing would make me happier then dropping in a 4thgen 3sgte and making a sleeper. But simplicity and fuel economy are my adjectives atm. Also I'm looking at a 91 mr2 motor with 150000km for 150 clams. So that plus a gasket kit and maybe a clutch and it's still cheaper then a used 3sfe motor (600 delivered).

Maybe one day if I find the right donar car and my owe space and time a gte will be in the cards but right now I'm in quick and dirty country. The 5sfe requires no exhaust mods, ecu swaps, or JDM harness extension.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If the 3SFE's head is a bolt-on to a 5SFE short block, this is an interesting swap! Check not only the bolt holes but also the coolant and oil passages very, very carefully.

The 5SFE displaces more air so it seems that the air/fuel system might need some reprogramming. But maybe it will work reasonably well without all that trouble. Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I remember doing the same thing with a 2j block on a 1j head and it worked great. Did upgrade the injectors but that was more for the boost then any thing. It's not like I'm making a race car but it'd be nice to have the .2 for a bit more foot pounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so here's what I've come up with so far.

1. To fit the 5sfe block in my awd rav4.1 the left rear side of the block must be ground down.

2. Since the 5s block is from an 91 OBD 1 car the oil pump with the crank sensor will need to be swapped off my OBD 2 3sfe block.

3. My 5sfe has 8 blots in the crank. I'm told the older ones have 6.

So far I think this is do-a-ble but I'm still hoping for more confirmation.

Hard to believe no one here has done this before I'll be sure to send pictures send I start the tear down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you end up doing this swap?

Reactions: Caconym
1 - 8 of 8 Posts