Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so ive been to a few rally and rallyx races with my 5door 5spd rav4, and i lost so incredibly much time not being able to use 1st gear, some have said different trans but i want to keep my rav4 stock trans, i just want to get rid of the 1st gear lockout that prevents you from shifting into 1st if youre going any faster than 10km/h, is it possible?

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
There must be an electronic sensor to detect speed and it must operate a lockout solenoid that could be disconnected.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What year is your Rav4?

Mine is a 99 with a manual transmission and no lockout.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
had a buddy of mine dig up a service sheet (he works in a transmission shop nearby) and there apparently is a mechanical part inside the transmission that acts as a 1st gear lockout. it could be removed, but the whole transmission would have to come out and get torn right down to bare case to get to it. chances are if you have a standard rav4 and your 1st gear doesnt lock out on downshifts at speed, that part is worn out or broken, or your trans has been rebuilt at one point and that part removed.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
had a buddy of mine dig up a service sheet (he works in a transmission shop nearby) and there apparently is a mechanical part inside the transmission that acts as a 1st gear lockout.
Makes me wonder how this lockout part knows what speed the car is going. Either it's fairly complex or is getting an external electrical activation signal.

·
Registered
609 Posts
When the clutch pedal is out the input-shaft of the transmission is turning the same RPMs as the engine.
On mine at 20 mph I'm turning 2,250 rpm in 2nd and 4,500 rpm in 1st.
What you are calling a lock out is the synchronizer trying to double the speed of the input shaft.
Sometime when you are driving about 20 mph in 2nd, try sliding the transmission into neutral, re-engage the clutch and rev to 5,000 rpm.
Then push in the clutch pedal and slide into 1st.

The 1st gear syncro is better at slowing the shaft than speeding it up.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
You've worn out your first gear syncho by trying to make it speed up the gears too much & too quick as Roundabout explained. I did the same thing years ago on one of my Fiat 128s.

If there was an actual lockout it wouldn't allow you to grind gears so I conclude there is no such thing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fair enough. as it is, last night on the way home from a weekend road trip we smoked a deer a couple miles from the house on the grid road, lol so ill be working on rebuilding her for the next little while. all superficial damage, nothing too major, ive been a body man most of my life so its simple for me, the hard part has been tracking down the parts haha should have her back on the road by next week if all goes well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts