Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the 5th gear popping out.I have suddenly got this problem.Any sort of help would be appreciated.
I have had my RAV 4 for just about a year & its a 1998 manual transmission with 90,000 on the clock.This is my first major problem with the vehicle.Any idea's on fixes or costs involved (in £ sterling if Possible).

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
That doesn't sound good at all. I think it might be a worn synchronizer or even a gear. If so, get a clean Credit Card, of save up. It's pricey. if particles are in the gearbox, it might get worst by contaminating the whole trans axle with metal particles. Not good at all. :oops:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep, common problem with the Rav's.

Its the weak bushes that Toyota put in the gearbox, and if you use 5th gear a lot it wears..........my gearstick moves in 5th when you apply throttle, so its only a matter of time.

And yes, there is a way to fix it without having to take out the gearbox

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
You see, that is why it's best to come here first and ask the people who know. After I answered you last night, I was wondering about that pdf regarding this situation that Kelly posted. It doesn't look that bad at all. But....you will have to take it to your local Toyota dealer. I think the guarantee has expired a long time ago. But, you know it will be done right, the first time, no guess.

·
Registered
198 Posts
5th gear problem

This sounds like the older Chrysler Corporation FWD 5 speed 5th gear problems, which was caused from putting it in 5th gear below 45 MPH. 5th gear being one of the highest there is not enough lubricant thrown up to it at low speeds, so the bearings, synchros and gear wear faster. Due to my past experiences I never put [Cubbie] in 5th gear below 45

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: 5th gear problem

vicco27 said:
This sounds like the older Chrysler Corporation FWD 5 speed 5th gear problems, which was caused from putting it in 5th gear below 45 MPH. 5th gear being one of the highest there is not enough lubricant thrown up to it at low speeds, so the bearings, synchros and gear wear faster. Due to my past experiences I never put [Cubbie] in 5th gear below 45
I don't think it's the same problem as you describe.

We rarely (never...) put in 5th gear under 50-55mph (not enough power :wink: )

It seems to be a desing problem.
Toyota has modified some parts to solve the problem.
There is new part number on TSB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts