Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from the dealership after having them replace my 5th gear. Two weeks ago it started to vibrate like crazy. It apparently is supposed to have been fixed after 2001-2002 models. For those with manual tranny RAV's (2001-2003) and are still under warranty, I would suggest you ensure your 5th gear is not the defected one somehow. The problem may not surface in a long time but I drive over 25000 KM's a year so right now I have over 75000 and it surfaced thankfully while still under powertrain warranty.

The cost would have been over 900 if I had to pay for it so its not cheap.

Just a word of caution for the manual RAV's(2001-2003) out there even though we are a rare bunch :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
5TH gear is vulnerable on many transmissions becase it is usually outside the main gearset at the rear of the transmission and even a slight drop in gear oil leaves it partially without lubrication. Just about every Honda Civic or Accord need 5th gear replaced before the clutch. Plus it is the only gear you run for long distances without changing. Keeping your gear oil to it's highest level is probably the best way to extend the live of it. Of course there's not much you can do about Toyota's defective bushings in the 4.1 and maybe some 4.2s.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I just hit 90,000 miles with my 2001 and I don't notice anything wrong with 5th gear. I drive my Rav harder than probably most all of the other drivers on this site, but then again I take good care of it and keep everything maintained well. So I figure if my Rav has the problematic transmission it would have made itself known by now. However, I only have 10,000 miles left on my powertrain warranty so I hope that if there are any problems, they will surface soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts