Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it will make a difference if I use 5W-30 instead of the recommended 0W-20 or 5W-20? I use Mobil 1 Extended Mileage (15,00 mile stuff) and the lowest weight that they make it in is 5W-30. I just traded my 2005 model for this one and it had the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder and that is what weight oil I used. What do you guys think? Personally I don't see where it would make a difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check your manual to find out which one to use based on your climatic region. I know for Canada and the northern states, 5W30 is recommended.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is the best advice - follow the recommendations in your manual. No need to give the dealer a reason to not honor a possible warranty repair if they believe the condition might be a result of using an oil viscosity that is not recommended.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The manual states 0W-20 or 5W-20 but Mobil 1 doesn't make the Extended 15,000 mile in that weight and I really like that oil since I only have to change my oil at every 15,000 miles. I do ALOT of driving since I'm in sales and I was hoping to be able to use this Mobil 1 oil.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My manual recommends 5W30 for the V6 for all regions and 0W20 or 5W20 for the I4 with preference for the 0W20 for colder regions.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and did a lot of reading about this on the newsgroups and there are tons of people posting the same question for various types of vehicles including Toyota and others say that 5w-30 will be just as good as using the 5w-20 and that they have used 5w-30 in place of it with no problems whatsoever. However since I have to take my Rav to the shop for a stereo problem that I am having I am going to ask them and make sure that it will not void the warranty. I really don't see where it will make a difference being as my 05 that I just got rid of had the 2.4 and I used 5w-30 oil in it but I rather ask to be on the safe side. I will let everyone know what they tell me.
If Mobil 1 made that extended mileage (15,000 mile ) in 5w-20 then I wouldn't have to worry about this but I really like that oil and it is great when you only have to change your oil every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
god, when I read 15k betwen oil changes, I cringe. As an engineer and race car owner I have seen what can happen in an engine in a few thousand miles.. Never mind 15k miles.. I don't care what Mobil says I would *NEVER* go 15k between oil changes. Oh and btw- ask the dealer about that too. I'll bet you they will say your warranty is void for engine work if you wait this long between oil changes.. keep that in mind too..

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Will Mobil warranty your engine if you change your oil every 15000 miles, because thats the only warranty you will have. Follow the Toyota recommanded oil change interval is your best bet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cusack - be aware that asking the service department a hypothetical question about a warranty issue versus the reality of bringing your car in for actual warranty service might get you two very different answers from the service tech.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Mobil will warranty the engine AFTER the manufacuter's warranty ends if there is an engine oil related problem. I used this same oil in my 05 Rav4 from the day I bought it brand new up until I just traded it with 30,000 miles. I asked the service manager about it and he said that Toyota isn't never going to know how often I change my oil and that I would be perfectly fine with using the 5W-30 weight instead of 5W-20 and they have several other customers who use the same oil and swear by it. He also said that he has been the service manager for Toyota for 7 years and has NEVER seen a toyota with an engine oil problem except on exteremly high mileage vehicles with them burning oil. Needless to say I intend on using this oil when my first oil change is due. I personally would recommend this oil to anyone because I also use it in my wife's Explorer. I just changed her oil at a little over 9,000 miles ago and if you look at the dipstick, the oil is still almost as clean as the day I put it in and not even close to getting black like conventional oil does.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
IF u change the oil yourself and do not have oil reciepts for oil at Toyota specified intervals they will not cover the engine if you get a major issue with it.. This is a fact.. Trust me on this.. If you think any auto manfacture wants to pop for an engine replacement at 35k miles due to a mayor meltdown at a cost of prolly 15k your crazy. Thery will do everything to pass the bill to you... I know this from experience..

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question on this. Let's say you buy your oil and filter somwehere and do it yourself (like I do now). How is Toyota or ANY car company going to know what the mileage was when you changed it when all there will be is a receipt showing when you bought the oil?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
easy. divide miles into how many reciepts you have. Im serious..
And you better have enough reciepts to cover the recommended change intervals.. If the interval is 7500 miles (I have no idea actually) and you blow the engine to smitherines at 30k miles you better have at least 4 oil recipts.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am in no way form or fashion trying to sway people to change their mind or their beliefs when it comes to oil. However I do recommend going to this link http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.asp

and reading about their synthetic oils. Back in 1999 I bought a Corolla brand new and from day one started using Mobil Synthetic Oil and this was before they had the Extended Protection 15,000 mile stuff. I am a sales manager and drove that car till it had 158,000 miles on it before I traded it for my 2005 RAV4 that I just got rid of last week. Anyways, the oil in this vehicle was changed between every 8,000 to 9,000 miles and I never ever had a days worth of mechanical problems from that car. The only thing I EVER did to it was change the brake pads, replace the air filter every 25k and replaced the pcv valve and sparked plugs/plug wires and changed the radiator and transmission fluid. I swear by Toyota's and think that they are the best vehicles on the road and I also swear by synthetic oil and I'm not by any means trying to start a war on this but we all have our beliefs when it comes to things and I stand 100% behind synthetic oil. However with that being said I do understand what Toyota's oil change recommendations are but I'll take my chances when it comes to that. This is now my 4th Toyota I've owned and knock on wood have never had any major problems.[/url]

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just switched to Mobil1 on our 2002 Highlander V6 with 80,000 Kms. The engine is the "sludge prone" one and I want to entirely avoid having to deal with that problem. I change the oil at the dealer every 8,000 Kms (5,000 miles) per the maintenance schedule, but I want more peace of mind. The dealer told me that synthetic in not necessary, but still, I switched to it. I'm not sure if that whole sludge fiasco was just an internet story that went wild or if it really is/was a problem.

Our new RAV4 has not had its first oil change yet and I haven't decided if I'm going synthetic there or not.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I use synth oil myself and am a believer .. What I'm sayin is that 15k miles is TOO LONG to keep the same oil in the crankcase, no matter what you use. I could buy maybe 1/2 that but in no way should you not change the oil for 15k miles. In fact did you read the mobil link you sent ?? Heres an excerpt..

If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.

This is what they wrote. Not me.. Take it as you may but if you have a engine warranty issue Toyota wil not repair it if you do NOT change it at the Toyota recommended interval. Thats ALL Im saying.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with you and your probably more than likely right. My problem is I hate taking my car to the shop because I have had bad experiences years and years ago with other mechanics and I also had a friend that worked at one of those quicky oil change places and have heard the horror stories of just how shitty they change your oil by sometimes not even changing the filter and they are noarious for not letting the old oil completely drain from the engine before adding the new oil so needless to say I do all of my own oil changes and with me driving so many miles it makes it difficult to change it at the specified intervals. I TRY to change it before the 15,000 mile period with this oil and usually go about 11-12,000 miles.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I change my own oil since I'm...well you know...anal retentive.

Do you really think your Toyota service department uses 5W oil? I would ask them and they will probably tell you they do. But, some are probably loaded with 10W-30 or 10W-40. Who knows.

These engines will run fine on 10W oil anyway and even 20W if it's warm enough. The only reason 5W or 0W is even recomended is so the manufacturers can look good on their fuel economy statistics.

Remember figures don't lie but liars figure.

And change your oil more frequently. Modern oils last much longer regarding viscosity (lubrication) as they have advertised. But, they get dirty just as fast. At least change Mobil 1 every 7.5K miles for goodness sake. It is REALLY dirty by then.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't see how Mobil can recommend an oil for 15000 miles, surely it depends on they type of driving that you do. If it is all long distance stuff where the engine rarely gets a chance to go cold, then all is fine but if you do stop start, short trips, down to the shops, then you can't expect the oil to protect your engine for 15000 miles. My van is on a variable service schedule, using the manufacturers recommended long life oil, they claim intervals of up to 18000 however due to the type of work that my van does, the service reminder will notify me that service is due in a far shorter time, 12000 miles is the norm for me. The vehicle monitors the type of driving that I do and also monitors the quality of the oil and arrives at a service schedule this way

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree 100% Karl. You also have a very smart van there in the UK. I hope it never says "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave" when you try to open the pod bay door!

As for your signature quote...
Another good use for rice is in dog food.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts