Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Prime XSE w/Premium Package so should have the 6.6kW charger. Normally I'm plugged in at home at a standard 120V outlet, so I get the expected 12.5 hour charging times to completely recharge the battery.

My employer has a Level 2 charger that I used for the first time today. After plugging in, the Toyota app indicates a remaining charge time of 3 hours and 10 minutes. I had about 10 miles EV range remaining when I plugged in.

Given that the 6.6kW charger is supposed to recharge the battery in 2.5 hours on a 240V Level 2 charger, I was expecting a time of < 2.5 hours since I still had about 10 miles range remaining.

Is there a possibility that I was only given a 3.3kW charger? And if so, are the cables visibly different (color, etc) to easily determine which one I have or are the cables the same and the 6.6kW is built into the car electronics?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A lot of public chargers aren’t capable of 6.6 and the charge time is less then the 3.3 so you have the right charger, probably the EVSE at your work was putting out 5 kw

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I don't know the specifics of the charger output. It just seemed peculiarly similar to the times published for 3.3kW on 240V (4.5 hours). 3h10m would be about right based on the fact I had 10 miles of range remaining.

I'll let it go to full. Perhaps the output is dynamic and will ramp up a bit more after it adjusts with the car's electronics and the remaining time will decrease if I check back in a bit.

Either way, it's nice to "fill up" at work when I actually have to go into the office!

A lot of public chargers aren’t capable of 6.6 and the charge time is less then the 3.3 so you have the right charger, probably the EVSE at your work was putting out 5 kw

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE Supersonic Red
296 Posts
In addition, when there are two cords coming out of a single charger, the total power the charger can provide is shared between the two cords. The charger might be rated at 6 kW, and can provide that if only one cord is used and the car can handle the faster charge current. However, if another car is plugged in, you only get 3 kW for each cord.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In addition, when there are two cords coming out of a single charger, the total power the charger can provide is shared between the two cords. The charger might be rated at 6 kW, and can provide that if only one cord is used and the car can handle the faster charge current. However, if another car is plugged in, you only get 3 kW for each cord.
Excellent point. Each charger is plugged into its own 240V outlet, however that doesn't mean that they don't originate from the same breaker circuit.

Appreciate the replies!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Side note. Other than driving it home from Boston to Indianapolis, I haven't filled the tank once. It was just above a ½ tank when I got it home. I've put 1200 miles since getting it home and the needle is here. Couldn't be happier with this car. And it also saved my ass this morning when an asshole Dodge Charger ran a red light. Brake pedal to the floor and stopped fully under control from 50-0 beautifully. I could see other drivers' faces like oh shit, followed by some schwewwwws!! Lol. 😳🫣😀🥰
Speedometer Odometer Automotive design Gauge Trip computer

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
889 Posts
I don't know why. The Dodge Chargers, Challengers, Chrysler 300s tend to attract the worst drivers around here.
Around here it's Nissan Altimas. All the local neighborhood groups and subreddits all believe the same thing: that if you see a Nissan Altima approaching fast in the rear view mirror, you're either about to witness an accident, be in an accident, or be shot. I get white-knuckled when I see an Altima speeding towards me. And you can all but guarantee that if you see an Altima approaching a red traffic light, they're not going to stop, so you have to stop to let them through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts