Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my RAV has had a pretty rough life. It belonged to a dear friend of mine who I can say drove it all the time for 34K miles being loaded down so heavy the back end almost touched the ground. It's just the way he was!

The RAV is a 2012 base AWD 4cyl model.

He kept up with oil changes, as have I.

We got the tranny flushed at ~35K, there were some bits in the fluid, and haven't had any problems since.

Today I am at ~55K and changed the Tranny Fluid as requested by the mechanic. Everything was clean as a whistle under the pan.

The fluid is less dirty, but still "dirty" - reddish brown. I was advised not to do another flush.

I noticed the Maintenance manual says to replace the Transfer case oil, and rear differential oil at 60K.

I just learned about those two oil reservoirs tonight a few hours ago, so I am not anticipating changing a vehicles differential oil, that when my friend drove it, should have been changed at 15K (towing rate change).

I've done my homework about how to replace the T.C and R. Diff. oil.

I can only hope that everything will be OK and not chewed up...

So I've done the Motor oil, Tranny Oil, Brakes, will do the Transfer case and rear diff. tomorrow.

Is there anything else on the RAV in the way of oil/fluid that I should change?

No secret compartment somewhere that could have worn down due to excessive Gross weight driving?

The car operates flawlessly now as it sits, I just want to make sure it stays that way!

I'm just making sure.

Waiting with open eyes...

TIA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just noticed the guide says to replace "Front Differential Oil"........It says to replace A.T. oil above that.

Isn't the F.D. inside the A.T.?

I can't seem to find any other posts talking about a front differential.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Just curious, did your friend use the Rav for work? Otherwise, what on Earth could he have carried around back there?
Sounds to me like you've got everything pretty much covered. I'm no fan of flushes, so I agree with your guy on that. Maybe keep your eye on the rear suspension bits for any problems.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just noticed the guide says to replace "Front Differential Oil"........It says to replace A.T. oil above that.

Isn't the F.D. inside the A.T.?

I can't seem to find any other posts talking about a front differential.
Yeah, the front diff shares the bath with A.T.

I did most of the same as you at 60K, but just drain and refill of AT, no flush.

Also did a simple drain and refill of engine coolant as the RAV was 5 years old at 60k. It's ahead of schedule, but I'm not waiting til 9 years old to begin to cycle out the old coolant. I plan to do it again this year at 80k. Too many reports of water pump failure, just making sure it's not due to the coolant. Again, not a flush, just drain and refill, takes about 1.2 gallon and easy to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, replaced the rear diff, and transfer case oil today; easy job!. Rear diff was black as coal - no chunks; clear as a bell.
Trans was semi-clear, a little dirty.

BTW My buddy was a hoarder of sorts; I'm the same way. He just loved to haul everything around!

The problem I am having is that my transmission fluid is aggravatingly dirty.

I had a mix up with Autozone, and they gave me the wrong ATF filter, and I had to use my old one, which was in good shape. However,I unknowingly dropped the O-ring for the filter in the pan, so I had to drain my fluid AGAIN, and reassemble the filter...

The fluid looks just as dirty as before...Better, but just still "dirty".

There's no chunks floating around.....It's just dirty as sin.

I want clean fluid!

How do I get clean fluid?

TIA

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Well, replaced the rear diff, and transfer case oil today; easy job!. Rear diff was black as coal - no chunks; clear as a bell.
Trans was semi-clear, a little dirty.

BTW My buddy was a hoarder of sorts; I'm the same way. He just loved to haul everything around!

The problem I am having is that my transmission fluid is aggravatingly dirty.

I had a mix up with Autozone, and they gave me the wrong ATF filter, and I had to use my old one, which was in good shape. However,I unknowingly dropped the O-ring for the filter in the pan, so I had to drain my fluid AGAIN, and reassemble the filter...

The fluid looks just as dirty as before...Better, but just still "dirty".

There's no chunks floating around.....It's just dirty as sin.

I want clean fluid!

How do I get clean fluid?

TIA
Do another drain-and-refill. Not necessary to drop the pan again as long as you're confident with filter in place now. By the way, I always use, or specify, OEM fluids and replacement parts(filters etc). Helps me sleep better at night!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone alerted me of the correct filter part no. that Autozone actually DOES sell.

Their computer system kicks out the v6 filter when you search for the 4 cylinder filter.

I hope to go get it today, along with some more fluid, and do another swap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't be afraid to shop elsewhere to get your parts also. When I'm not in a rush and don't have to buy locally RockAuto usually get my business, but there are also several other mail-order parts places that have prices that beat the pants off of what both the dealer and the local Advance/Autozone/etc charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't be afraid to shop elsewhere to get your parts also. When I'm not in a rush and don't have to buy locally RockAuto usually get my business, but there are also several other mail-order parts places that have prices that beat the pants off of what both the dealer and the local Advance/Autozone/etc charge.

I was unfortunately in a rush as I was scheduled to change it THAT DAY! I had already done the brakes, and motor oil. So I was hot to trot on the ATF.

You can imagine the frustration of being under the car fumbling with a filter that didn't fit. Even more when you go back to Autozone and they have no clue what filter is the correct one. I think we all ended up feeling like fools that day.

A good lesson though!

The fluid was just black this last change. Before this last change, the fluid was black and had little "bits" in it. We had a flush done that got rid of some of the bits. I'm sure there's more waiting in the TC that would love to mix with my fresh fluid after every swap!

I'm guessing my buddy didn't do much except overheat the fluid, and rub a few pads during his short time with his RAV.

I hope...:serious

·
Registered
263 Posts
thanks for the thread -- looks like i'll be doing the trans flush including filter swap once (did it on the corolla, was a pain), and the t-case and rear diff as well. where do we find the recommended viscosities for those?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
thanks for the thread -- looks like i'll be doing the trans flush including filter swap once (did it on the corolla, was a pain), and the t-case and rear diff as well. where do we find the recommended viscosities for those?
T-case and rear diff spec is 80W-90--takes about 1/2 quart each--plan to spill a little and buy two quarts. My dealer put in Valvoline standard gear oil. When I did my own, I opted for Valvoline 75W-90 snythetic as I face several days real cold start conditions.

For the tranny/front diff I used Toyota ATF WS. Aisin ATF WS is probably same thing as they build the transmission for Toyota.

To get more info, it's well worth it to enter your VIN in the Toyota.com/owners website, can download owners manual, check or add to your service history.

·
Registered
263 Posts
T-case and rear diff spec is 80W-90--takes about 1/2 quart each--plan to spill a little and buy two quarts. My dealer put in Valvoline standard gear oil. When I did my own, I opted for Valvoline 75W-90 snythetic as I face several days real cold start conditions.

For the tranny/front diff I used Toyota ATF WS. Aisin ATF WS is probably same thing as they build the transmission for Toyota.

To get more info, it's well worth it to enter your VIN in the Toyota.com/owners website, can download owners manual, check or add to your service history.

thanks for the info - if it's 80w90, 75w90 should be no problem - do you know if it's GL4 or GL5? I'm assuming GL5**, but just want to be sure. I'll probably be throwing amsoil into everything including the trans

Meant GL5 here, typo. Typically transfer case/diff fluids are GL5. Will throw Amsoil Severe gear in there when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yup, GL-5 specified for the diff and T-case fluid. For the trans, I stayed with Toyota WS as it has worked well, and with drain and refill, only mixing half with existing fluid. I use Amsoil in my motobike, excellent stuff.

BTW, in case you haven't seen it yet, there is a link to download the service/repair manuals if you like to DIY. You'll need the 2006 and the 2011 supplemental.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/176457-service-manuals-available-downloading.html

###

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yup, GL-5 specified for the diff and T-case fluid. For the trans, I stayed with Toyota WS as it has worked well, and with drain and refill, only mixing half with existing fluid. I use Amsoil in my motobike, excellent stuff.

BTW, in case you haven't seen it yet, there is a link to download the service/repair manuals if you like to DIY. You'll need the 2006 and the 2011 supplemental.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/176457-service-manuals-available-downloading.html

###

perfect, thanks! I'm pretty big on diy maint and minor repair, so that will prove useful I'm sure. I've got an amsoil account so I like to stick with it, I do some UOAs too so I'll post those sometime as well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts