Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and my kids will be out for two weeks and for about 7000 miles doing some exploring.
Last year it was my FJ and this year it is the RAV4's turn to prove itself on a little smaller scale though !!
I will post pics once done. There will be no visits to the civilized areas at all if possible. I will carry lots of gasoline also.
I think it should be ok. It uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles so I will carry oil. Power steering fluid disappears a little so I will carry that. Going across the rockies may slow me down with lots of load on the vehicle and it being an old 2.0. I plan to stay behind 18 wheelers on high grade climbs. Plan is not to go above 70mph regardless because of high reving engine. High RPMs just freak me out.

I will start loading my vehicle in a few days with all the camping and in the middle of nowhere survival gear.
It will be used to its limit for sure but three will be no deliberate stupid abuse. I will off road as long as my RAV is comfortable. I don't want any issues on such long distance.

Any tips/ideas from RAVers are welcome !

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Enjoy! We just made the drive from Dayton, Ohio to the Portland, OR area for our move(actually Vancouver, WA or "Vantucky" as they call it). Our RAV was loaded to the gills including a full roof box. Was using the backup cam as my rear view mirror. Took the northern route through North Dakota and Montana. Was definitely glad we had the v6 when we got to the Rockies. Passed many cars/uhauls/etc struggling on some of the inclines.

Western Montana is beautiful. I'd spend as much time there as practical. I'd also recommend a stop on the Oregon coast as well as the Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens areas if possible.

Good luck maintaining sanity on that drive through Kansas. I've heard horror stories about it which was a big reason we took the northerly route heh.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like you'll be swinging through the Modoc region of north-eastern California. If you're into history, check out Captain Jack's fort, the scene of one of the last, if not last "Indian" war in the west. Captain Jack held off the US army for something like 9 months from his redoubt in an area called Hell With the Fire Out. Bleak area with an interesting history!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good luck, im sure that little truck will take you with no issues, i do know what you feel when revving a lot the engine, safe trip

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Getting vehicle ready slowly. A lot to pack.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Braver soul then I. 200k is right around when I make the Toyotas a 100mile car (AAA towing limits). Go forth, and explore! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts