Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I participated here a couple of times before and now will introduce myself and my rav4. I'm Andre, I'm from Brazil living in New Zealand, english is not my first language so please try to understand me.

I got my '94 Rav4 about 3 months ago. Manual transmission, 3sfe engine, 4wd center diff lock, 175k km. Before, I had a '97 Honda CRV but I decided to get this rav4 because look a little more tough offroad, has manual transmission and my CRV started to give me to many issues. And I am happy with the car.

My first idea was to install a sound system but I had problems that had to be fixed before that. Leaking on oil pump o-ring, front mounting on the rear diff, two lateral arms and driver seat belt. Now it's all fixed and I am finally ready to do it my sound system.

I bought a few things, did not arrive yet but will be here soon. Sound deadening mat, DVR camera for the back window and DVR camera with gps logger for the windshield (to film some trips on this beautiful country), gps navigator, car stereo, equalizer, amplifier, under seat subwoofer and new speakers.

I had the idea of painting all interior panels and covers, install brushed metal vinyl on exterior and some other stuff but not doing right now. Want to get the car ready for christimas break so only sound system will be fine for now.

Well, here are the first pics. It might take a while for me to finish all this as I only work on weekends and dont have all gear yet but as soon as I have news I'll be posting pictures.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: eodgator

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sound Deadening Mat. 10m2 roll. Will do all laterals, doors, floor, under bonnet and if still have it, roof.
Maybe two layers at some points, 10m2 it's a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First day of work. I already installed the 6.5 speakers a little while ago. I screwed straight on the steel because the original speakers are a bit smaller. I know it's not the ideal and I should have done proper fixing, but let's see. I put rubber all around and they are very tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rust on the trunk sealing rubber. Not happy with that. Any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those pics are bad quality.

The original door speaker and back side speaker with mounting frame and a 6.5" side by side.

The hole for the back speaker is slightly bigger than 6.5", so it has enough room and clearance easily. The hole for the door speakers are humongous. Not sure about what you could fit there because of the door cover but maybe a 6x9" with proper mounting frame. As I will put a sub under the seat I dont mind having four 6.5. So I went for what was easier.

Other pic is my sooo beloved arm rest. I loved it, just loved it. I drive up to 8h sometimes on my weekends so this arm rest was a huge improvement. Best thing I got for this car till now.

Next step is taking door panels off, front seats, carpet and roof cover, then clean everything and installing the mat. By then hopefully I will get the rest of the gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all

If this is not the right place to post that, adm please delete it then I move to other topic.
Some more pics. If someone wants to ask something I'll try to answer.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
I have a 4 door 4x4 and just wrapping up a replacement transaxle from a low mileage donor. I'm also doing a lot of preventive maintenance, corrosion control and painting. While the engine and tranny were out I removed rust, primed, and painted the engine, tranny, engine bay, under hood. I also did corrosion control to the undercarriage and undercoated it.

Soundproofing, so far I put dynamat under the hood and and a reflective thermal mat to the firewall. Once I have everything else finished I'm also installing mats in the interior, new speakers, backup camera, shark fin antenna for my xm radio. I appreciate your photos.

Materials
- Thermo-Guard Flame Retardant, 48" X 72" Two Sided Thermo-Tec 14125 - This is going over the firewall on the engine compartment side for heat and noise control in the cabin
- Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Sound Deadener Dynamat 11905 - Under hood liner for heat and noise control
- Car Insulation from Car Insulation - Lightweight Thermal Sound Deadener This will be installed in all 5 doors, between the roof and roof liner, in the rear wheel wells, and under all the carpeting; basically everything but the windows.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds nice, your rav4 will be pretty nice.

My sound system is finished now. A bit tricky to set up the equalizer but now with the sub, right frequencies filters and gains it's sounding really cool.

That's the rellay that feeds the new fuse box. I used the ACC feed from the existing radio to switch the relay and then the contacts come straght from the battery. On this fuse box are being feed dvr cameras, stereo, gps, will put usb charger there, auxiliary lights, tyre pressure sensor, remote lock and leave one or two cables for future. This way I do not have to mess with the acc from the ignition contact.

Sound deadening I only have roof to do, then will be all done. It worked. Not magic, not super quiet, but much better.

(Up there I said the holes for rear speakers are 6.5' diameter but that is incorrect. The hole is about 5", which can easily fit a 6.5" speaker.)

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This sub comes with a built in amp and still has two speakers outputs that im not using.
I'll may find a way of installing another two speakers, 6x9 maybe. Behind the seats somewhere. I'll see.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
getting there... I used the scraps to cover some more of the panels

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Glad to see your project moving along so nicely. I'm almost back on the road with mine. I only have a few things to do and she's running. Then time to strip the interior and install my sound deadening material, xm radio shark fin antenna, and speakers. I may borrow from you on the amp and subs.

If you are looking for a place to add speakers, have you considered the rear hatch? I assume there is a lot of dead space there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rear hatch? hmm... yea, could work... I'm not sure about those speakers, I thought about it because the sub came with two spare outputs I was not counting it, my first thought was get two 6x9 boxes and fix them somewhere behind the seats, but I think I will leave it for now, it's loud enough the way it is.

Had I know what I know now I would have done different. A decent head unit with a 5 bands equalizer, two of these under seat subs which would give me 4x60rms outputs + 2x175rms subs and the 4x60rms 6.5" speakers. I think it's a nice setup for this little one.

Post pics of yours ;)

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I will take photos soon as I get there, I'm chasing a few leaks from my work I did so, as soon as I finish all the maintenance and outside stuff. Then I'll do the interior soundproofing. I did some sounddeadening undercoating from the fuel tank forward. I have some corrosion control to do aft of the fuel tank, floorboards, and suspension. I'll probably pull the tank later and get under it as well. Those are later projects however.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's cool... I am doing the interior panels now, fitting them back... it obviously all thicker, so I had to push a little harder to match to holes again, seat belt bolts, screws and plastic clips... at least now there are no vibrations whatsoever... the only thing driving me crazy it''s a squeaky noise coming from somewhere on the rear hatch... seems to be a hinge noise or something that gets worse while driving on gravel road

I also have a leaking, it's coming from the clutch side, it's not too bad but I noticed a few drops on the floor. And also noticed burning smell and smoke coming from my engine bay one day driving up the hills... it might be something wrong with my clutch

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The leaking, is it brake fluid? Are you also losing brake fluid? If it is, it's probably the clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is mounted under the cruise control on a left hand drive vehicle. To get it out it's just a hose, a line like a brake line and a few bolts. Easy repair, just messy, you can bleed it dry at the clutch bleeder before you try to take it off and make a huge mess. Remember, brake fluid is very rough on paint.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Those squeaks can drive you crazy and be difficult to find. Get someone else to drive while you crawl around looking for it. A little spray lubricant here and there can resolve that sort of thing too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm, it looks like engine oil but I can be wrong... I did notice the reservoir a bit low just this weekend... I will see it and take a pic tomorrow... can that make the clutch burn? because my clutch is not slipping at all... only two times I went to the mountains and I felt the burning smell and saw smoke coming from somewhere under the engine... I drive manual transmission my whole life and have never seen this happening... I kinda freaked out that day... lol

for my upgrades I'm now getting sealing rubber for the front doors and boot door and wind deflectors... that will probably help a little with wind noise... the squeaky noise got alot better, I put wd on the hinges and on the door stopper and at least on the road, the noise it's pretty much gone now, I can only hear on gravel... I'm guessing was the door stopper

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
hmm, it looks like engine oil but I can be wrong... I did notice the reservoir a bit low just this weekend... I will see it and take a pic tomorrow... can that make the clutch burn? because my clutch is not slipping at all... only two times I went to the mountains and I felt the burning smell and saw smoke coming from somewhere under the engine... I drive manual transmission my whole life and have never seen this happening... I kinda freaked out that day... lol

for my upgrades I'm now getting sealing rubber for the front doors and boot door and wind deflectors... that will probably help a little with wind noise... the squeaky noise got alot better, I put wd on the hinges and on the door stopper and at least on the road, the noise it's pretty much gone now, I can only hear on gravel... I'm guessing was the door stopper

cheers
I think a right hand drive car would put the brake reservoir right over or at least near the exhaust, if you are leaking fluid from your clutch slave cylinder or brake master cylinder it may drip there and create a fair bit of smoke and fumes. I think from discussing brake systems with right hand drive owners, the right and left hand drives differ some so you may have a dedicated clutch reservoir and not share with the brake master cylinder.

By the way there shouldn't be much of a way for engine oil to leak into the passenger compartment. Think brakes or clutch.

If the clutch master cylinder is leaking it would probably lead to insufficient fluid for the clutch operation which may cause some issues there.

Either way brake or clutch cylinder are easy fixes, maybe a little more difficult in right hand drive RAV4s for access.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice work. Good pics too. Keep up the good work 217.
Thank you.

There is not much more to do now. At least not on the interior. Exterior there is heaps to do, I'll be doing little by little. I was considering instead paint job wrapping with vinyl, I've done this once in the past but to do it properly it's a big job. It's way cheaper than new painting but the life spam is way shorter as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts