Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96' 4wd manual was grinding when I switch into 3rd and into 2rd from 3rd. Recently decided to replace the original clutch. Last year I replaced the engine block with an oe japanese 98' engine block($900, 15k miles). I know I should have replaced the clutch then, but just didn't.

I just bought a Valeo 52365205 OE Replacement Clutch Kit from Amazon for $141, and now need to replace.

Any tips or advice will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 96' 4wd manual was grinding when I switch into 3rd and into 2rd from 3rd. Recently decided to replace the original clutch. Last year I replaced the engine block with an oe japanese 98' engine block($900, 15k miles). I know I should have replaced the clutch then, but just didn't.

I just bought a Valeo 52365205 OE Replacement Clutch Kit from Amazon for $141, and now need to replace.

I have a manual trans with 321,000 on the original clutch and I just KNOW that time is coming from me, sadly! From what I've read from other owners with manual gear boxes, the motor and gear box must be removed together, so I may just have to save up and pay someone to do that for me...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just that the trans is amazingly heavy. I bought a '90 Camry 5sp All-Trac with dead trans (cheap), bought a new trans, and had someone do the swap with clutch. They put the trans in the trunk, and it took two of us to get it out of the trunk. Sure hope you have a lift, underground bay, or something else, to get it all apart.

Aside from that... it's just a trans and clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wouldnt think it would be any harder than the landrover discovery I did last year. Heavy and labour intensive but done on the floor using jacks.

·
Registered
170 Posts

I know you said the problem is with the clutch but remember that the clutch doesn't know what gear you're in. If the clutch was bad, I would think it would cause a problem with all gears. If you're going to replace the clutch, have the transmission checked for bad synchronizer for 2nd & 3rd gear. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Item Not Listed in the OEM Manuals

Do a search on this web-site and you'll find all the information on changing your clutch for the 1st generation Rav4. I did my '96 US version 4wd clutch a couple years ago. It seemed that many of the posters' on this web-site have never done the actual work themselves. The greatest problem I had came from a bracket that isn't listed in either the OEM or aftermarket repair manuals, nor on this web-site. So, I posted it on this web-site about a single bar (bracket) with a single mount on each end going from the rear intake manifold to the, (it's been a couple years since I did the clutch) I believe the transfer case. Wow! What a difficult access space to get to each of the brackets top and lower mounting bolts.
I bought my Rav4 with 231k miles and the clutch had about 1-more fuel tank before it was down to the rivets. The previous owner had 90k on the car and never did anything to it so, I believe it was the original clutch. I was impressed to see the reply with 321k on their clutch. Finally, someone who knows how to use a clutch. Great Toyota quality.
In addition, the motor doesn't need to taken out. You can do it with an engine host/holder to tilt the engine up on the right side and remove the transmission with transfer case out the bottom of the car. Thank goodness for a car lift and a transmission lift to carry the weight. "Don't forget to change the transfer assembly case oil when you have the transmission out," make it easier than filling it later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts