Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently acquired this vehicle and am very happy with it, but I have no user manual, and cannot seem to download one.
My question is how to lock in the red button above the auto shift lever, and how does it work, and what does it do.
Recently tried it in low gear on snowy hill and did not feel any difference...explanation please.
Thanks in advance......Coaster 4

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
eBay for the owner's and factory service manuals.

Are you talking about the button on the left side of the shifter handle? Mine (2000) is grey.

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mick, it is great to have the user manual, and most of the information is spot on.
However there is no mention of that red button which is on the flat plate of the transmission mounting that indicates P..through 1(low).
If you can picture it, it is in the top front corner on the right (driver) side. I am guessing that it is a JDM thing.
The button has Japanese script under it, so I guess I have to find someone who can read it.
I thought it may have something to do with locking the (central ? ) diff, but no light or anything indicates that.
I have no diff lock switch on the dash. It is not the o/drive button, as that is on the shifter.
Cheers.....thanks for your response......Coaster.

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
The diff lock switch is only present on the manual transmission models.

What you describe is apparently the "shift lock release" button (part number: 33563-12050) and is indeed a JDM thing. Google the quoted phrase and the part number for more info.

Useful links:
Проблемы с АКПП на sprinter marino AE101
(translated: Μετάφραση Google)
Understanding the functions of the shift lever of an Automatic car

A quote from the last link:
"The transmission of automatic cars is locked so as not to move the shift lever from P unless the foot brake is stepped on when starting the engine, in order to prevent erroneous operation such as sudden unplanned departure.
However, it may be necessary to move the shift lever from P to N when the car battery goes flat or when the vehicle breaks down and you want to tow or move the car.
The Shift lock button is for this purpose."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The diff lock switch is only present on the manual transmission models.

What you describe is apparently the "shift lock release" button (part number: 33563-12050) and is indeed a JDM thing. Google the quoted phrase and the part number for more info.
View attachment 148771
Useful links:
Проблемы с АКПП на sprinter marino AE101
(translated: Μετάφραση Google)
Understanding the functions of the shift lever of an Automatic car

A quote from the last link:
"The transmission of automatic cars is locked so as not to move the shift lever from P unless the foot brake is stepped on when starting the engine, in order to prevent erroneous operation such as sudden unplanned departure.
However, it may be necessary to move the shift lever from P to N when the car battery goes flat or when the vehicle breaks down and you want to tow or move the car.
The Shift lock button is for this purpose."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again Mick........that is what I was trying to find out, you nailed it.
Makes a lot of sense now that I know. I was thinking that it somehow locked the diff (?) , but it obviously did not do that.
So just a safety feature...go figure.
Cheers Mate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts