Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Rav4 and it's been a constant headache the last 3 months. The automatic transmission burned up and was rebuilt a few months ago. After still having some issues the transmission was completely replaced with a used transmission.

The car has gotten to the point where even on flat land I can't drive more than about 30 minutes without the car basically stopping to run. What happens is when you give it gas the revolutions shoot up, but it's almost like it's in neutral. It gets to the point where the car won't even go at all and I have to just stop and let it cool down.

This is a completely different transmission and the couple different mechanics who've looked at it all think that the transmission is good. We've checked the catalytic converter, the muffler, the fuel pump inside the gas tank, the engine pressure is good, the radiator is fine, and so is the cooling fan. When you turn it on the car makes an odd almost hollow rattling sound even when it's in park. At times after leaving it idle for a bit the car begins to shake quite a bit. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
My guess would be that the problem is caused by the torque converter or transmission and/or something related to it, despite what the mechanics say. Was the torque converter replaced along with the transmission? Used transmissions are a gamble unless they have been rebuilt by a competent rebuilder. Does the transmission fluid look good? Does the engine run as it should?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts