Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no mechanic, but I can follow directions!!
My baby is not starting.

Long story short, I've been told in need to replace the fuel pump.

My research has been giving me mixed results.

Some say I can access then fuel pump from under the back seat. Some say I must take the fuel tank off.

Which is the best way to do this?

Can anybody recommend a video or walk through that would help

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the fuel filter under the hood when this whole no-start drama started. Also replaced the fuel line that I muked up while removing the filter. (Started getting expensive)

My buddy "checked" the car out for me. Said It ha spark. Pump is dead.

After removing the pump and pulsing 12v through it, the spinning tells me pump works.

So I decided to check to see if I am getting spark.

Nope, no spark. I made sure all wires were firmly in place

Engine turns and turns when trying to start

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured out I have spark at my ignition coil.
I do not have spark on the spark plug wires.

I assume this means my distributer cap is jacked up. I've tested 3 of the 4 spark plug wires before I lost daylight.

What do you guys think

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
You can have coil output but is it the the right power, check the output at night or in a dark location, the light should be bright white to blue, if orange or red it is not good, your coil isn't strong enough to fire the spark plugs properly if at all.

Igniter testing:

DIY: Diagnose Cranking No-Start Due to No Spark Condition

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed. First off, I want to thank you all for your help.

It was, in fact, the distributer cap. I feel a little ashamed that it took me this long to remedy this.

Live and learn. Thanks again for the tips and pointers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Who knows either the part number or size of the crush washers for the supply line? Just put a walboro 255 to replace my weak oem pump, but the old crush washers are weeping. My eyes are getting old and i cant read the diagrams anymore.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know the part number for the crush washers for the supply line.

You can get a whole assortment pack at the auto parts store for a couple bucks. Or, you can take your old ones, sand them a bit on some fine sand paper on something flat, then heat them up with a torch and let them cool to anneal them. They will reseal then.

But, the Toyota part number is 90430-12026. It's used on both ends, the tank and the fuel filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts