Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, my rav lost all power and died on me. I replaced the fuel filter AND fuel line (Line got jacked up while attempting removal).
This took me a month between it going dead, and replacement of fuel filter/line.

When she fired back up, she was running rough. Rough idle and low rpm's high rpm (above 1.5k) much better.
After a day it started running great. Over the course of a week I put 20 miles on it. All in town.

Drove 15 miles out of town and it started chugging. Uphill I lost power and was forced to downshift. Finally in 1st gear at about 10 mph she died. Had to tow her back in

The engine turns when I try to star it. But that's all it does. That's turn turn turn. I considered smacking it on the side like I would do my old boob tube when the screen wouldnt turn on, but I decided agents it.

I did use a diognostic computer on it. Code was p0110. Air intake temp sensor. But I don't think that would keep it from starting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Assuming the ecu is powered up (CEL on with engine not running+key on) I'd guess circuit open relay. If the CEL is off I'd guess EFI relay or fuse.

·
Registered
731 Posts
This is yet another example of how Techstream could help speed this diagnosis along. Checking for RPM, fuel injector pulse, coolant temperature, intake air temperature would narrow it down. Check fuel quality and quantity. Check for a nice blue (not orange) spark from all the coils. It should jump at least a 1/2" gap. Don't check the spark near the battery because of the explosive nature of a lead acid battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well look at all those typos I apologize. I have fuel. I will now google how to check spark and compression. I lost my job, so this has become top priority.
Thanks for the guidance.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well look at all those typos I apologize. I have fuel. I will now google how to check spark and compression. I lost my job, so this has become top priority.
Thanks for the guidance.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with
When you checked the fuel, did you test pressure and volume, or just look at the gauge?

Did the battery die or get disconnected for a while during the filter repair?
The rough idle and sudden fix sounds like the ECU got reset and had to relearn the engine settings. If that happened then the original error codes are gone and you haven't driven enough for the ECU to report most problems.

On my Rav4, the fuel pump only gets power when the engine is running or the starter is turning. This can make it difficult to test.

A rough ECU power test, is to check for 12 volts at the 4 injectors with the key turned on.
The ECU has to be getting power for it to show up at the injectors.

Enjoy the hunt. It is a good chance to learn about your car.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
You can rent the following diagnostic aids from many parts stores:
- Noid test kit that plugs into the fuel injector connectors, they light up as the signal is sent to the injectors, it lets you know if the injectors are getting signal
- Fuel pressure test kit, hooks into your fuel line and tells you how much pressure you have

If you don't have one, buy a digital autoranging multimeter, for our purpose you don't have to an expensive one. You need it to test the resistance/output from some of your sensors. Although sensors usually throw codes if they have a problem. Many codes however point at several things that could be the culprit and with a multimeter you can narrow down which one is the problem.

Good luck, keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts