Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am about to do my timing belt along with water pump, pulleys, timing cover gasket,cam/crankshaft seals, and drive belts. I bought a Dayco kit and my mechanic that it is the cheapest junk out there so I guess I'll return it and get an Aisin kit. In the dayco kit, there are 2 different sized tensioner springs and I can only seem to find one size anywhere else. How many springs are even in there?

Side note:anything else that I should get done while I'm in there?Am i missing anything?
Automatic 4door 1997 4.0 3sfe

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm surprised by what your mechanic says about Dayco, they are one of the most popular kits sold by Rockauto to us Rav4 owners, I fitted one to my car a year or two back and have had no problems at all.
The reason they supply two springs is the earlier model uses a different one to the later model. There's only one tensioner and one spring used on the car. Sorry, right now I can't remember which one you need but call a Toyota dealer if in doubt and ask them for the part number for your car to match it up.
You should also change the oil pump seal and gasket, I always advise you buy these parts from your Toyota dealer as I received substandard aftermarket parts when I bought mine individually from Rockauto.
That said, Dayco sell a kit to include these parts now as well as the water pump and timing belt parts. I'd still get mine from Toyota.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts