Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm getting desperate here and hope you can help. We got our 97 Rav4 just three weeks ago and the wife and I both love it. However, the battery just went out and - not thinking - I went to get a replacement.

I bring the battery back to the house and prepare to install it, no big deal, but then I notice:

Okay, so that's a problem. The terminals are not the same size as the posts.

I took the battery back to the store and the guy at the counter tells me they don't make batteries that size anymore and my only option is the strip the terminals, rewire them with new top-posts and go from there.

Okay, I've never done that before but I'm a smart guy, I've self-taught myself basic repair throughout the years. I can figure this out, maybe. Hopefully. And then I came into this quandry:

In case the image is unclear, the fuse box is meant to fit alongside the positive top-post. And that really threw me for a loop. The two are obviously meant to go together, but there's no way that's fitting on the post of the new battery.

So I'm lost. I really don't want to take this to a mechanic if I can do it myself, but I have no idea what to do. Can I find a battery with the smaller posts (the dead one I took off had small threaded posts)? Do I need to strip these wires and replace them, along with the fuse box connector? Should I just call a mechanic?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
The easiest fix is either to buy an RV battery which has both posts and bolt style terminals or, better, buy conversion terminals which clamp to the post and have a bolt terminal. I'll actually be doing that in my truck camper today since I'm using a standard car battery in an RV. Don't remember where I bought the terminals, maybe even Walmart, but any auto parts store should have then.

Reactions: elarte

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks like those small holed battery terminals, would fit a marine battery nicely.
- not an automotive battery

I got a free marine battery once, that was brand new.
- and put it in a Nissan Maxima, worked great
- marine batteries will take a full charge, if their run down repeatedly / aka deep cycle
- good feature
The best batteries, use AMG technology.

Note
- a Marine battery is designed for a couple of purposes - some call it a hybrid - a cross between a cranking and a "house" battery
- deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
am currently using this on mine. I'll post my battery with these terminals later.
Yes, I suspect these from Toyota were originally on the OP's battery but removed (and discarded) when the previous owner installed a marine battery. I wondered if they were still available from Toyota. Apparently they are so either them or the aftermarket type will work.

Reactions: elarte

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much! The connectors are exactly what I was looking for. I was able to get some last night and have my Rav4 back up and running today! I can't believe that going to two different auto-stores (Advance and O'Reilly) as well as a specialty battery store and no one thought to mention that there are parts made exactly for my problem!

Thanks again all, I appreciate it greatly.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Great, and good to hear the result. So often we don't.

Isn't it too bad that at many stores you have to do their job for them? :doh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts