Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've had my Rav for a little and an slowly putting it together. Three are a couple problems and idk if they really are problems. When I drive in the hills it's really hard to keep up it just goes slow I can get it to go to 40mph but the only way it can go faster is flooring it and it takes a sec then hits like 6k rpm. Idk if it's just gutless or what. It even happens sometimes when I try to accelerate on the freeway. It does
Something similar on trails when I go up hills. In low I floor it going up the hill and it always only gets to 2k rpm but makes it up pretty steep hills.

Another thing is the cruise abs and be airbag light flash like Christmas lights. I was thinking relay, battery, alternator or connections under the dash. Anyways thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ravs are known to be terribly slow and lack power to be honest. I had a stock 2wd with the same issue but i would imagine that the awd had more balls

·
Registered
105 Posts
127hp factory and after all these years much less, what are we truly expecting? If it is a manual rav, shift down into the powerband. We americans seem to have this thought that low rpm is great and can have alot of torque which just isn't true on a 2.0l engine. Don't be afraid to get the rpm where the power really is.

That being said, make sure all maintenance caught up, check compression, etc. My 233k mile rav makes it around Colorado just fine. It's slow but it isn't lugging along.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
OP: Use more complete descriptions, without being wordy, so that we can give better advice.

If "cat code" means catalytic converter, it could be plugged-up and causing the power loss. I've had that happen on another vehicle. New CCs were available on RockAuto.

What's "evap"?

Definitely check/clean/tighten the battery cables/ends and replace your ground strap anyway. Consider adding an extra ground strap directly from the negative post of the battery to the engine too -- search on here for examples, including on mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts