Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I Just purchased a 97 Rav4 Auto AWD with 260k km on the body and 120k km on the engine and transmission. I noticed when driving it home that if I am traveling at 40 km/hr, and I hard accelerate to 60 km/hr, I get a wicked chattering noise coming from the left hand side of the engine bay (right behind the pedals). It happens around 3000-5000 rpm. It is not as bad when I take the overdrive off. It does not seem to happen if I baby the throttle either, and it does not seem to happen from the stopped position, to the pedal to the floor position. it only seems to happen when I have built up some speed. Probably because I'm out of first gear.

I cant seem to get the sound on video and I'm not sure how to describe the sound, to me it sounds like clutch chatter. Sounds like one of those toy cars with a friction motor pushed across the floor a few times mixed with a deep metal chatter.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
A failing engine or transaxle mount?

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
You can get an electronic stethoscope (https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-El...192453&sr=1-1&keywords=electronic+stethoscope) so that you can place it on or near different items under the hood while you drive. Also, you can go on youtube.com and search for different engine sounds till you find one that sounds similar. Chattering on that side would suggest something with the tranny but you would be surprised how engine noises get funnelled around. The following youtube is kind of funny but maybe you can identify your problem

Things that may make a noise on acceleration:
- timing belt slap
- alternator bearings
- water pump bearings
- badly worn clutch, not that you have one
- engine parts, valves, bearings, pistons
- low or very contaminated tranny fluid
- a/c bearings
- intake noises
- drive shaft, universal joints
- cv joints
- transmission internal components

·
Registered
16 Posts
Engine Rattling on left (drivers side) of vehicle

Did you ever find out what the noise was? I think I have the same issue. The noise is louder when I climb steep hills or mountains but it is not a constant noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you ever find out what the noise was? I think I have the same issue. The noise is louder when I climb steep hills or mountains but it is not a constant noise.
Yeah, it was various exhaust components loose. I ended up ripping off every heat shield that was rattling and problem was solved. look under at your exhaust theres a square box like component with a silver shield... check that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts